Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do you think of qualifying for HI and not taking the slot?
Quote | Reply
What do you think of qualifying for Ironman World Championship in HI and not taking the slot?

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of qualifying for HI and not taking the slot? [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always assumed that this happened all the time. I could be wrong. I would love to do Hawaii once, though I will never qualify. I wouldn't go back for a second and third trip, or at least I don't think I would. Two of these races a year is just too much for most of us.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of qualifying for HI and not taking the slot? [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that if you qualify for the first time, you should try to go, unless you just can't b/c of other priorities, money, etc.

After that, I can understand passing it up for other reasons such as not being in peak form, wanting to race elsewhere, cutting your season early, racing Wisconsin or Florida... ...that sort of stuff.

-J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most likely would be $$$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not? It's not the end-all, be-all for every triathlete. I know a couple of people just this year who qualified but passed up their spots. Both had different reasons.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of qualifying for HI and not taking the slot? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance of HI becoming the Mt. Everest of the tri world?

Where many serious climbers don't consider Everest all that and consider it a rather gauche climb while the public thinks its the pinnacle of climbing.

Mabe similarly serious tri-athletes (though not neccessarily the pros) will shy away from HI thinking its become more of a hassle than they think its worth.

Admittedly, this way of thinking probably won't happen on a large scale but maybe already has for a few.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with AJ. I have dreamed of doing Kona since before I started tris(as in decades before), and would like to do it once.

But now, knowing how much preparation goes into even a half iron distance race, I would have to pass the slot up if A) I couldn't train for it in time or B) I didn't have an extra $6000 in the bank to flush down the toilet.(my wife sure isn't letting me go by myself.)

If we're in it for the challenge, then the only one bigger might be Lanzarote, or so I'm told. But even regular folks ask me, "Oh, you're a triathlete, have you done Hawaii?" And then I lose them when I start talking about qualifying.

You do Hawaii, you get the pride, the status, the whole shooting match. But whether that's what we're looking for is up to each of us.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of people do it. I did IMH in 2000 & 2001. Then I passed on the slot last year. The race is a fucking bitch! But if you get the chance to go at least once then you should do it. Its a good thing to put on a resume and might help you get laid. :)
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of qualifying for HI and not taking the slot? [carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]
Any chance of HI becoming the Mt. Everest of the tri world? Where many serious climbers don't consider Everest all that and consider it a rather gauche climb while the public thinks its the pinnacle of climbing.[/quote]

I don't think that is likely. IMH is consistantly difficult, challenging, and is far and away the most competitive IM (for both AGers and Pros) in the world. The best and most serious AG and Pro athletes compete in Kona every year because it is the highest level of IM competition. I don't think many of them choose to not do Kona without very good cause. These are some VERY dedicated athletes. There are also some good athletes that are able to consitantly qualify for Kona, but are not really a factor for a top AG placing. IMHO these are the athletes that may be more likely to pass on a slot from time to time for many different reasons (i.e., money, time, work, take a break to recharge, etc.). Also, keep in mind that many of those that pass on a slot may have qualified elsewhere.

My $.02

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've qualified 3 times and never gone (hopefully 4th time is a charm in Florida this fall). The first time was in Muskoka 6 or 7 years ago when they had the race in September and I hadn't done any long course training at all so it didn't make sense to go. When I qualified in Penticton I figured it was too close (plus I'm a teacher and need a fair amount of lead time to convince the school board to give me time off). This year I'm going to Florida in hopes of qualifying so that I know a year in advance and can plan accordingly since if I'm to Hawaii, I want to do it when I'm ready to race and not just to check it off on some list of things that I must do once.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of qualifying for HI and not taking the slot? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My friend just qualified at IMLP and passed on the slot. Something about graduating from law school being much more productive than doing IMH.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of qualifying for HI and not taking the slot? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am an attorney - tell your friend that I would happilly - joyously-ectasticaly-damn near orgamnisticly- give up my past 12 years of law practice for one entry to Kona....actually, don't tell her/him....it may better my chances if we are in the same age group at the next IM in which I participate.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of qualifying for HI and not taking the slot? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If we're in it for the challenge, then the only one bigger might be Lanzarote, or so I'm told. But even regular folks ask me, "Oh, you're a triathlete, have you done Hawaii?" And then I lose them when I start talking about qualifying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given a choice, I would probably be more likely to spend my hard earned money on a scuba diving trip to Hawaii than for a tri. My justification is that there are lots of tris in my area (Lake Placid isn't far away) but the scuba diving in the Great Lakes is nothing compared to tropical waters. If I ever did qualify for Kona (which could never happen since I'm way too slow), I'd definately go, but would also combine it with scuba diving after.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of qualifying for HI and not taking the slot? [Haim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I don't think that is likely. IMH is consistantly difficult, challenging, and is far and away the most competitive IM (for both AGers and Pros) in the world. The best and most serious AG and Pro athletes compete in Kona every year because it is the highest level of IM competition. I don't think many of them choose to not do Kona without very good cause. These are some VERY dedicated athletes. There are also some good athletes that are able to consitantly qualify for Kona, but are not really a factor for a top AG placing. IMHO these are the athletes that may be more likely to pass on a slot from time to time for many different reasons (i.e., money, time, work, take a break to recharge, etc.). Also, keep in mind that many of those that pass on a slot may have qualified elsewhere.

My $.02

Haim Well I got to disagree here.......................I've qualified at every ironman I've done, I'm usually top 2 or 3 in my age group (Ironman Canada)(30-34), I never went to Hawaii because in all honesty it really didn't interest me, and for most of this time I was a student and couldn't afford it. I went and watched Hawaii in 2001 and couldn't figure out why everyone were so enthralled by this race. Even though I had qualified for the race that year, I had no feelings of wishing I was racing. The venue is not as appealing as others, there are no crowds, it's not the best organized ironman, etc... That being said you are right that it probably is the most competitive race for age groupers and pro's alike, and that is about the only reason I would ever do it. If I had my choice I would race in Germany at Quelle Challenge rather than do IM Hawaii. Good competition, wicked crowds and very well organized.
Quote Reply
Just passed up a slot at 1/2 Vineman [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seemed to shock a lot of people, but I had talked it over with my husband and coach and we all decided that I couldn't afford the increase in training time that would be necessary to compete as well as I would like. I have teenagers and a business, besides a husband, to consider.

Training for Hawaii would also be incompatible with my primary goal for this year.......a good showing at AG Nats and qualifying for World's in Portugal. I can't do it all, darn it.

It was a little tough to remember all this logic amid the excitement of the award ceremony.......but I kept my focus AND made some woman's day!!!! Her excitement at getting the slot was really great to see.

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that if someon wants to go then.. get in the mix! If not... then let another hearty soul be enlightened. I personally would love to go to Kona but do not know if I can make it since I have not put in the time to see if I got the talent or not. (It is a time issue for me!) However... that being said! I think too much emphasis is put on the IM distance. Yes it challenges in a unique way like no other distance. I had a goal of qualifying to AG nationals last year and made it (not as much of a feat as Kona. Did not go for a bunch of reasons but if I qualify for Kona then I am there for sure no matter the $$. I guess deep down I want to be recognized as an IM triathlete like many out there. I just think Ironman has done a tremendous job of marketing that distance as the supreme distance. Once again... AS I WANT TO BE AN IM TOO...I personally think it requires less genetic talent for most Age Groupers to excel in an IM distance than a top level Oly or 1/2 IM distance. OUCH... I AM SURE I OPENED UP A CAN OF WORMS THERE. SORRY
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of qualifying for HI and not taking the slot? [TheChameleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unclear on the process [or you are very tongue in cheek]

if the winner of the slot declines to accept it, the slot is then offered to the next fastest person in that age group and so on until someone says yes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Amen Brother [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! Hence what I believe they call the "Roll Down" where if they have a slot open then they will go in line of finishing until someone in the age group takes it. However I am not sure if there is a threashold of how far they will go or not. I do not know if they then pull the offer if they get too far down the list. Unfortunately... I have not been in that situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't remember which product used the tag line: "getting there is half the fun," but IMHO it applies to HI.

As a recovering marathoner, "civilians" often ask about Boston. Not because they know you have to qualify to run it, but because they think it is the 1) biggest 2) best, or even 3) longest. I am lucky enough to have run Boston a couple of times, and will work hard to get a slot for HI, but getting it will be the fun part. Don't necessarily need to validate by actually going there.

David
Quote Reply
Re: Amen Brother [Freedie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Yes! Hence what I believe they call the "Roll Down" where if they have a slot open then they will go in line of finishing until someone in the age group takes it. However I am not sure if there is a threashold of how far they will go or not. I do not know if they then pull the offer if they get too far down the list. Unfortunately... I have not been in that situation.<<

It can roll as far as the last person in the AG and if no one takes it, it rolls to another AG. If you've never been to a rolldown, go, even if you think you'll never get the spot. You may be surprised (especially if you are female) and even if you are way off, it's so fun to see some people have their entire day/week/month made in seconds.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Amen Brother [Freedie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At IMUSA this year the last spot in the Male 35-39 age group rolled down to something like 45th in the group with an 11 hour 10 minute time. The second to last roll down went to number 19th in the age group about 35 minutes faster. That's a lot of people between 19th and 45th who didn't attend the roll down or who passed.
Quote Reply
Re: Amen Brother [SFTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the IMUSA results are misleading. That "last" Kona slot in M35-39 (and in M40-44) was actually a CEO slot. It was not available to "ordinary" M35-39 entrants. The CEO that won thst slot just happened to also be in the M35-39 category, hence the M35-39 reults show him as an IMH qualifier.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply