Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you actually cut a piece of the carbon stem out, or did there just happen to be holes in the right place?

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [ian10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is a plastic top piece and believe there is hollow space inside.

- Jake
------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [jcooley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right. Not much room but enough.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you actually see it when you are riding? Seems like it'd be between your elbows and you'd almost have to look behind you to possibly catch a glimpse. Does it pick up GPS?

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [mrtrik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It picks up GPS just fine, along with all the Ant+ sensors.

As for visibility, no problems (I wouldn't have put it there if it didn't work). I can look at it without moving my head. The location means that I'm watching the road and concentrating on position.

If I go any lower I think I'll go for a watch.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those with a Speedfil A2 this is an option, the angle actually works quite well...

Last edited by: rideronthestorm: Jan 31, 12 5:41
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBloke wrote:

This has already come up on several other threads (the search button is your friend). However, again, here's my setup:
It's really easy to see the display even out of the saddle, no vibration, and it sits in front of the hands so little aero loss. I used a nail wrapped in a gear cable outer housing, 7 zip ties, a carefully bent 14 gauge spoke and the garmin removable clip/band.

Doug
http://www.newjerseytriathloncoach.com
http://www.triathlonlog.com

Now thats cool, me likie. I'm going to look into rigging something up similsr to this.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quarq will soon offer to consumers its own mount for the Garmin Edge 500, which puts it out in front of the bars and closer to the rider's natural field of vision

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anything for aero bars?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a Bontrager mount designed for their Node computers. Works great.

Last edited by: rlanger: Feb 18, 12 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [rlanger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't find the Bontrager mount anywhere online. Do you have any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS ordered it for me. They're a Trek distributor. I think it was about $15.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do want. When and where?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to keep things simple. No hardware at all. Just a carefully crafted/sized piece of PVC pipe. Friction fit.

Todd Gould
http://www.romevelo.net
Go Harder!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [steepcreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you spray paint it black?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes as this forum would not have allowed me to leave it white.... :) Just a light sanding with 220 grit and some Krylon Paint for plastic.

Todd Gould
Go Harder!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [steepcreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steep creek -

Simple and effective. Great solution! Planning to do the same thing only a bit further to the front to clear my bottle. I'm also going to drill a small hole in each end so I can thread a zip tie around each extension to ensure it never comes flying off.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [mahunc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I debated the solution you speak of: a zip tie on each side through a couple of drilled holes. Since I thought this through......
Make sure you drill the top holes only large enough for the thin portion of the zip ties to just barely fit through. On the bottom, make the holes just large enough for the head of the zip tie to squeak through. Then put the zip ties on, tighten them down and once tight, rotate the head of the zip tie up through the bottom hole so it is out of sight and out of the wind.

On my bike (picture above), I actually put black electrical tape on the mating face of the PVC. I used an Exacto knife to cut the excess away. What this does it make the surface that contacts the carbon aero bars rubbery so they get more friction. You can not see this in the picture at all because I cut the excess away very accurately. This makes the friction fit so good that there was no need for the zip tie.

On your installation: Since you are placing it out near the end where your hands are, the bars will be flexing and therefore this friction fit may slip. Where I mounted mine there is very little flex, so the friction fit works perfectly. The electrical tape just gave me that much more confidence it will not slip.

One other thing you may consider is using no zip ties and using handle bar tape instead. This is what I did for a team mate's setup. The picture will explain it all. There is nothing holding this one in place except the same friction fit and the handle bar tape. Just like you, I needed to clear her front bottle and put the mount where it could be seen easily without major strain on the neck.

Good Luck and make sure you post your results. Would love to see a picture of your final solution.

Todd Gould
Go Harder!
Last edited by: steepcreek: Mar 7, 12 6:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are the ends of the spoke secured so that it doesn't rotate about the Jagwire?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cyronman wrote:
Where are the ends of the spoke secured so that it doesn't rotate about the Jagwire?
Each end of the spoke runs along the aerobar for about 2cm. One end has the spoke's hook, the other has a bend at the end (halway along the thread), then there are 2 zip ties around each aerobar. With thin ties, it is very secure and invisible above the tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

That makes it a lot easier!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's mine

it's the aspiretechvelo [china] mount.. very sturdy alloy piece. i chopped down the carbon shorter and used a barend plug to replug the carbon bar. weighs 64 grams with 2 garmin rubber bands and the garmin female piece. u could probably tune it with ti bolts and stuff.
http://www.aspirevelotech.com/...tegory_Code=PCHBM-01

here's the position. i like it because u can angle the arm and stuff to get the top of the edge 500 level with ur stem , aesthetic win i think.... anyways.

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [nathanong87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you post a picture of the mount from the front? I'd like to see how it lines up w/ the handlebars.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 500 custom mount [wasfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasfast wrote:
I love my 500 but wished 1) that it was further forward on my 1130mm stem and...

Wow! Did you buy the bike second hand off a clown or something?
Quote Reply

Prev Next