Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery Drink for women
Quote | Reply
I'm training for my first IM. My question is what is the best recovery drink to use. Obviously there are a lot of brands out there but I would love some feedback. I have been drinking muscle milk light after my long workouts but I need some suggestions on what others use and if they use them after short work outs as well. My other question would be what women are using for liquids during a workout..any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Drink for women [lem1083] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chocolate milk is a great recovery drink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there was a brand of sports drink that marketed a product for women specifically (to use while training). Can't remember what it was, don't think it's around anymore. I don't think that is sex specific.

and x2 on chocolate milk...

I'd avoid anything labeled light for recovery. The goal is to start replenishing your calories. And usually it's full of artificial sweetners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the information I've read says to aim for a 4:1 ratio, carbs:protein, so that's what I do, consume within a 1/2 hour window of coming back. I personally like a banana-soymilk-peanut-butter smoothie with whey protein powder, to achieve the 4:1 ratio. Sometimes I'll make it ahead of time so that when I get back I immediately drink it while stretching and foam rolling.

There are great products out there (1st endurance, endurox), those that claim their balance of amino acids and whatever else is superior, and maybe it is. But real food always makes me happier and feel great.

Eating right, and regular foam rolling, massage and just simply resting your legs, if you can afford it the time and money, does wonders. It totally kills the weekend to just train and rest, but the performance and recovery results are very good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mix 1... 200 calories, 15 grams protein, 29 grams carbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a coach - I advise all my clients to save their money on buying expensive recovery drinks as the vast majority of ingredients are contained in Chocolate Milk - and to cut Kcals a bit - go for the 2%..hope this helps.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Drink for women [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+3 on skim chocolate milk; and you can buy it in 18 packs of the small boxes that don't need to be refrigerated, which travels well in a gym bag and car

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Drink for women [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is available in America, but I have Chocolate Opti. Blend it up with ice and make a kind of ice Opti smoothie. Pretty yummy!!
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Drink for women [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one more vote for real food
I have either chocolate or almond milk, or sometimes a bottled starbucks or other brand iced coffee
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Drink for women [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another recommendation for chocolate milk. Cold and refreshing with the right mix of nutrition, and don't forget the delicious taste.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Drink for women [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL - not sure I have seen the phrase real food and Starbucks mentioned in the same context before!! :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure here as my husband and I own the company (Mike's Mix) I'm going to reference in response to this question. We have been making recovery drinks for about 3 years and recently introduced a recovery drink for women, Melissa's Mix. Specifically, it is all natural, tastes delicious and has an adjusted serving size for women. This, by no means makes it a diet food! Your body needs calories to aid in recovery and Melissa's Mix offers a 4:1 carb/protein ratio at a competitive price. Check out our site, it may just be the right product for you. Thanks and good luck with your training! Melissa Lohre

http://mikesmixrecoverydrink.com/products/#wr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vanilla Sustagen in regular soy milk with a spoonful of malt powder and a raw egg if it was a hard or long session. An egg for the dog too if we've just put in a long run. :-)

Religiously after every session - no exceptions.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Drink for women [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
chocolate milk is a great recovery drink

I agree. I use skim milk. It's got the 4:1 ratio discussed above. And it's amazing.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree about chocolate milk it is the best. Though after extra long workouts I add a scoop or two of Hammer strawberry recoverite to teh chocolate milk for some added protein and glutamine seems to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Drink for women [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<rant>

Chocolate milk is NOT an amazing recovery drink. There was one study, which had 9 participants, that was done that indicated it might be good. Throw in all the hormones, antibiotics and crap that comes with the milk and you've destroyed all benefits.

Quoted from the actual study:

"This study was supported, in part, by the Dairy and Nutrition Council, Inc."

http://oakbrooksc.com/docs/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf

The Dairy Council seized on this and ran with it, opening up a whole new target market.

</rant>

I've started using Endurox when desperate, otherwise I eat real food.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Jan 21, 13 19:00
Quote Reply