Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winter traveling w/ 3 mon old
Quote | Reply
Is it crazy to think my honey and I can go on a winter getaway, with a 3 month old? Any warm weather destinations that you would recommend?

We are aware of making sure she stays in the shade and hydrated with milk.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Winter traveling w/ 3 mon old [kidrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have kids but it doesn't sound crazy to me. At 3 months old they're fairly easy to pack around aren't they?

Head south!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely do able. If you can try and time your departure to coincide with a feeding you'll take car of the cabin pressure change on the kid's ears.

At 3 months the baby will still want to be held most of the time, or at least doesn't know it is more fun to walk around than sit. You probably only need a toy or three during the flight. You can buy diapers wherever you go (we use cloth at home but obviously can't do that on the road). Definitely don't need to buy a seat for the kid, unless you have a finicky kid or a super long flight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I traveled this week with my 2 month old Jack for the first time. My main advice is leave as much time as you can to get to the airport. We made some mistakes that we were able to recover from to make it on time.

Plan A, we were several stops into the train trip to the airport with plenty of time when we realized that we forgot Jack's suitcase. We were used to packing for ourselves, but not used to that third person who is terrible about carrying his own bag.
No problem, jumped off, jumped on the train in the opposite direction. Got home, grabbed the car and drove to the airport.

Plan B, we were almost pulling into the airport long term parking when it occurred to us how are we going to get Jack to the airport without installing a car seat in the shuttle van. We changed course and I dropped my wife and Jack off and then I dropped the car off and jumped in the shuttle van.

Plan C, Security. Apparently, you don't need to put babies in those trays and slide them through the conveyer belt. Who knew? Seriously, I was carrying Jack in a baby bjorn, so we skipped the full body scanner in favor of a metal detector. I did not need to take him out of the Bjorn, they did give my hands the chemical test and we were on our way.

Plan D, Some airlines have moved the boarding of parents traveling with small children from the front of the line to the middle of the line. You may want to ask at the gate when you will make it.

If you have any common sense, unlike us, you will be fine.

Quote Reply
Re: Winter traveling w/ 3 mon old [mccannathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack is adorable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 3 months, the biggest worries are still sleeping and eating. Get those covered appropriately and the rest is bonus. May I suggest some alone time for your wife at a nice spa?

We took my parents to Maui with our 6 month old and had a nice time. We stayed in a condo which had a pack and play and a high chair, it was nice, except I still felt like I was working my butt off preparing meals and cleaning. I would suggest limiting flying time if possible, it is stressful with a baby.

Have fun and hope you are all sleeping well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the tips! The good news is that she is already a sleeper at night! I think I'll start looking at destinations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strongly consider refundable tickets.

We didn't, and my boy got strep and we couldn't make our Xmas trip. Now we're losing $300 total in our refund amount...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you've left yet but I flew to Europe w/ my 3.5 month old. It was great - he slept almost the entire time. Just did again now that he is 18 months - same thing - slept almost the entire flight. Just be prepared and positive!

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As they say:
"plan for the worse, hope for the best, "
Both our kids travel for their first time when they were around 3/4 month old (we live in Canada, @ that time mother in law lived in Dominican Republic).
When our daughter was a bit older, we got stuck on the tarmac in Newark for 2/3 hours on our way to Dominican Republic. Guess what she felt asleep as we sat on the plane and she woke up when we were about to take off for a 3/4h flight :)

Apparently a sand diet is not that bad for them :)

What is great at this age is there are easy to carry around and you do not need much to carry much...

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter traveling w/ 3 mon old [mccannathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[ Plan B, we were almost pulling into the airport long term parking when it occurred to us how are we going to get Jack to the airport without installing a car seat in the shuttle van. We changed course and I dropped my wife and Jack off and then I dropped the car off and jumped in the shuttle van. ]
Interesting. that never occurred to us. Both our kids drove in taxis in several countries on our laps or even sitting in front or me or "sandwiched" between me and my wife on ATVs while in Domincan Republic...

Fred.
Quote Reply