Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2012 Spring Womens Training Camp
Quote | Reply
It's that time of year again! After checking with Monty and Dan, our annual pilgrimage to Xantusia is scheduled for April 12-15. Come early, stay late, but come if you can for all or part of a fun weekend of training, eating, and Monty's world-famous margaritas!

As an added incentive for the fishes, there is a masters swim meet in nearby Santa Clarita (scy)! I haven't dived off the blocks in 42 years. When I last raced, goggles hadn't been invented yet, but I'm game for this. So who's coming to join me?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Spring Womens Training Camp [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear that this is scheduled. I will be doing my best to make it likely arriving late Thursday night/first thing Friday morning and leaving on Sunday through LAX (in case anyone wants to coordinate flights so we can share a car).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad to say that I'm out. That's Orthodox Easter weekend plus my daughter's provincial volleyball tournament. Seems like I might have to wait until both girls have graduated before I'll be back to one of these training weekends. Have fun and have an extra drink on the 13th to celebrate my bday!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Spring Womens Training Camp [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outstanding! We're hoping for 10+, so as the word gets out, maybe you'll get your wish!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Spring Womens Training Camp [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawn, you will be missed. The Spring Camp has a history of interfering with somebody's religious holidays...

We will have a margarita in your honor on Friday night!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of us who have never participated, is there some link to how it's organized? Is it camping? Motel? Is there a schedule of activities or is it totally free form? Is it for people of all speeds or just the speedsters? I don't want you to reinvent the wheel trying to explain it to me, so if there's some link I've missed, just post that, and I'll read up on it.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Spring Womens Training Camp [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All Womens are invited regardless of speed/fitness level. You will likely find a big range of abilities at the camp. I'm very slow and never felt out of place there. Lots of training - you can do as much or as little as you want. Training is pretty informal. Some folks go off on their own, some go for group rides/runs/swims. You'll stay at Monty's house which is kind of like a bed and breakfast. Monty usually cooks dinner for the group, but I'm not sure if that will be the case this time.

Great riding in that area. You can go down to the valley for long, flat stuff or you can do some hill climbing in the other direction. I strongly suggest you bring your own bike, even though it's a pain in the butt. You will enjoy the riding more if you do.

Beautiful spot to just relax, have fun, cuddle with dogs and drink too much. Listen to Monty when he tells you that 2 margaritas is just right and 3 is too much! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! So where, exactly, is Xantusia? So Ca, sure, but is it in the desert east of LA or is it closer to SD? Just trying to figure out how long it will take me to drive down from Sacramento, or whether I should just box my bike up and fly down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AUGH! I have to be in Japan that week for a biz trip! (leaving the Sat that weekend for 10 days) Waaahhhhhhh!!!! :-( The only thing I could do is come early (Thurs/Fri) and then fly to Narita on Sat. But that'd be out of LAX and a major PITA re: car.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're in Valyrmo which is southeast (I think) of Palmdale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
Thanks! So where, exactly, is Xantusia? So Ca, sure, but is it in the desert east of LA or is it closer to SD? Just trying to figure out how long it will take me to drive down from Sacramento, or whether I should just box my bike up and fly down.

7 hours or so, depending when you leave and how fast you drive on I5.

Flying, you will still drive an hour from Ontario. Not sure who still flies into Palmdale, not to mention it is likely way more expensive to fly into there.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMGOMGOMGOMG... I can come!

I'll have to do Thursday evening or Fri - Sun because I only can take one day off for work but I am there!

Unless something comes along and fks everything up for me again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Spring Womens Training Camp [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
OMGOMGOMGOMG... I can come!

I'll have to do Thursday evening or Fri - Sun because I only can take one day off for work but I am there!

Unless something comes along and fks everything up for me again.

THINKING POSITIVE!!!

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Spring Womens Training Camp [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes on co-ordinating through LAX. Cheaper for me and I'm happy to split the cost of a car. We can talk about our trail run injuries :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh why can't this be in March so I can go??! Sounds awesome! Have fun to those who can go!
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Spring Womens Training Camp [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
AUGH! I have to be in Japan that week for a biz trip! (leaving the Sat that weekend for 10 days) Waaahhhhhhh!!!! :-( The only thing I could do is come early (Thurs/Fri) and then fly to Narita on Sat. But that'd be out of LAX and a major PITA re: car.

AP

I think Cathy is coming in early, so if you can manage to train Wed-Fri, you will be in excellent company...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent- I look forward to meeting you in person!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah! Let me know when your ready to start booking flights and whatnot so we can coordinate times/dates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any estimate on cost?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Spring Womens Training Camp [AZtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AZtri wrote:
Any estimate on cost?

Thanks!

I was waiting for someone to ask that very good question! The only charge is what Monty charges to stay in his home and feed us while we are there.

I'll PM Monty & have him answer this.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBR posted the description of our place up here, if you have more pointed questions, Sally or Cathy can fill you in, as they know the place as well as i do! As to costs, it is $65 a day(24 hour period), as all your food, drinks, snacks, ect are included in the cost. I will cook your dinners every night, and also much of the breakfast. You are on your own for lunch, but there is plenty to choose from and you have a full kitchen to work in. Since everyone is on their own schedules, it is just easier that way. As sally said, you can train as much or as little as you like, and at whatever pace. It is more about the getting together and just having some fun, and a little party. As was pointed out, there is a local swim meet that weekend, so if you are inclined, i will probably go and anyone who wants to join is welcome. We sit at about 4200ft, and you look out at about 10,000ft mountains, the air is clean, and the roads are great and clear of traffic. There are 100's of miles of single track trails for running or MTB, and we have loaner bikes for those that wish to leave the hassle and cost of bringing a bike. Just let me know if you are going to need one...Sleeping is two to a room, each with their own bed, and there are some cabin and movie star trailer options for the light sleepers.

So far been a mild winter up here, but that time of year can be really nice, usually in the 70's as the high, and almost always sunny as we are in the high desert..
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Spring Womens Training Camp [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the much-requested Bud Light Triathlon highlights from the 80's!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2012 Spring Womens Training Camp [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will Wyatt be there???? We need to train the boy right. :-)

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drats, I'm already registered for an east coast race that weekend. The womens will have to post pics for those of us that can't make it!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply

Prev Next