Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Heard something today ...
Quote | Reply
Heard an amazing predicition today, from someone who ought to know, regarding next weekends Vineman 1/2 IM. If you are there, and assuming all goes well (one never knows when it comes to racing), be ready to be impressed. Will not say more so as to not jinx it.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Heard something today ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard the same prediction but I don't think it will happen.
Quote Reply
I think it will ... [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
assuming, nothing goes wrong mechanically or physiologically, etc. If so, should turn some heads .... again.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: I think it will ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
assuming, nothing goes wrong mechanically or physiologically, etc. If so, should turn some heads .... again.

Um...what else COULD go wrong then, if not mechanically or physiologically?

Emotionally? Psychologically? Nutritionally?

Since I have no idea what you are talking about, I'm just curious. Whoever the athlete is, I wish him/her good luck and no problems.

Dave
Quote Reply
If we presume to know ... [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all that can possibly go wrong, then God will determine to show us how little we really know :-) That was the meaning of the etc.

Since this is California, I assume the earth could open up on the course. Mount Shasta could erupt, a la Mt. St. Helens, affecting breathing and road conditons. Lots of etc's are possible I suppose.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: If we presume to know ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, there was an earthquake in Sonoma County last night. Only a 4 though.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: If we presume to know ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See now you're bringing in God into and getting all worked up. I think you need to tell everyone the prediction. If you don't, I will since I don't believe in jinxes.
Quote Reply
You do it ... [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody ever does what I predict or think they will or if I report what others think they will.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: If we presume to know ... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See, proof of Cathy's true nature. Only a genuine San Franciscan would say "only a 4 though." We East Coasters would be screaming "We're all gonna die!!!!"

You should be thankful. If it weren't for the earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, and El Chupacabra, everyone on earth would move to Cali. (Even though it's common knowledge that El Chupacabra lives in a penthouse with Sasquatch on South Beach.)

A short mathematical equation for you: SF > LA

Well, I would have liked to have done that race, but I guess now I'll have to wait and read about it.

Sorry, but this cryptic thread, combined with drinking a Corona after a hill workout, has me a bit goofy.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: You do it ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was that really all one sentence? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.vineman.com/...r_article.php3?id=70

Santa Rosa, CA. – 2001 Half Vineman Men’s Champion Steve Larsen will more than likely lead the field into T2 as he looks to re-establish himself as the course record holder at the 2003 Half Vineman Triathlon on August 3, in Sonoma County, California. Larsen leads a men’s field that includes his main challenger, Aussie upstart, Luke Bell.

Larsen used a surprising win, over a strong field, at the 2001 Half Vineman in route to the first Ironman win of his career at Ironman USA the same year. Larsen’s record time of 3:55:57 in 2001 stood for only one year as 2002 Champion Chris Lieto went 3:55:55. Larsen will use the Half Vineman in preparation for an assault on the 2003 Ironman World Championships in October.

Larsen’s main threat seems to be Aussie Luke Bell who is currently training in Boulder, CO. Bell has quietly emerged on the long course triathlon seen with a 16th place finish at the Ironman World Championships in 2002, 3rd place at the 2003 Ironman Austrailia, and an authoritative win at the 2003 Blackwater Eagleman. The impressive thing about his win at Blackwater is he swam, biked, and ran away from World Champion Tim Deboom by 7 minutes. Look for Bell to lead Larsen out of the water and try to hold him off on the bike as long as possible. More than likely, if Bell wants win this race he will have to charge from behind on the run.

A handful of other athletes, including Ironman Brazil 7th place Juan Mutti from Argentina, will look to upset what appears to be a two man battle at the front of the men’s race. Other pro male athletes entered include; Tim Sheeper, Matt Lieto, Matt Dixon, Ben Travis, Lewis Elliot, Nic Sacco, and Chris Randall.

While the men’s race looks to be somewhat clear, the women’s race is just the opposite. The start list is headlined by Ironman Champions; Paula-Newby Fraser (8 x World Champion and 22 Ironman wins), Fernanda Keller (2002 Ironman Brazil, and 6 x 3rd place in Hawaii), Barbara Buenahora (Brazil 2003) and Deirdre Tennant (Japan 2003). The darkhorses appear to be rising star Monica Caplan and two time Powerman Alabama Champion Desiree Ficker.

Newby-Fraser, a veteran triathlete, has 22 Ironman victories and 8 World Championships on her resume. Newby-Fraser, who holds the record for the fastest Ironman by a woman (8:50:24) will be racing her first Half-Vineman in 2003. Although you might hear people say Paula’s most competitive days have passed, she receives a level of respect that will undoubtedly have her competition chasing hard or looking over their shoulder on August 3rd. PNF, as she is also known, will definitely be a factor in the women’s race.

Keller, a 38-year old veteran triathlete is known as much for her glowing personality as she is for her racing accomplishments. Keller will be racing the Half Vineman as part of her preparations for a 17th consecutive start at the Ironman World Championship this October in Kona, Hawaii. More impressively, over the years in Hawaii she has put together one of the most consistent streaks of top finishes in Kona. In 16 attempts she has never “DNF’d”, had twelve top 10 finishes, and from 1994 – 2000 finished an amazing 3rd place six times!

Buenahora, a native of Argentina, is a last minute entry and has been training in Boulder Colorado with boyfriend Juan Mutti. Buenahora won the 2003 Ironman Brazil in dramatic fashion when she passed Fernanda Keller in the last 700 meters of the marathon. Buenahora also finished 3rd at the 2000 Ironman USA in Lake Placid.

Tennant, a late entry, will create even more drama on the women’s race. Tennant was the first ATHLETE out of the water at the 2003 Ironman Japan where she beat Wendy Ingraham’s swim course record and went wire to wire for her first Ironman win.

Monica Caplan has arrived on the domestic long course scene this year and produced some impressive results. This year Caplan has finished second at Half Ironman Utah and third at Ironman Couer d’Alene. At Utah Caplan lead for the majority of the race until Ironman Australia Champion Lisa Bentley passed her late in the run. Look for Caplan, along with Tennant, to set the early pace on the swim and bike and try to hold on in the run.

One of many people chasing Caplan will be 2002 and 2003 Powerman Alabama Champion Desiree Ficker. Along with her Powerman victory this year, Ficker has finished third at Wildflower, fifth at Escape from Alcatraz, and won the Dannon Duathlon Arizona. A fierce competitor, expect Ficker to be charging hard in what will be a very competitive race.

Other pro women in the field include; Teri Albertazzi, Lara Shaw, Amanda Gillam, Robin Oswold, Nicole Newton, and Jamima Iley.

While pros will be competing for prize money, 2000 age-groupers will be competing for 25 qualifying spots to the 2003 Ironman World Championships to be held in Kona, Hawaii this coming October. For more information on the Vineman Triathlons, log onto http://www.vineman.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I can confidently predict that Steve will have a faster time on Sunday than I will. Luke Bell and Paula too. ;-)

And hey, I was IN the 1989 earthquake. A 4 ~is~ nothing.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm ... what could it be?

Dick Cheney to make pro debut? (His "undisclosed location" could be a secret cold war triathlon training bunker.)

2000 Cabernets to be served in place of sport drink?

Steve Larsen to shatter bike record on Big Wheel?

or is Lance coming into town?
Quote Reply
I'm sure ... [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if I had to, and if it were really necessary (but, more importantly convenient) I could come up with a sentence that was even more outrageously irrational and cryptic, defying anybody's ability to properly put into a sentence diagram (which I "learned" in 9th grade, if I remember correctly, but, all the rules of which i have since forgot), if asked.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: I'm sure ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is almost as entertaining as the hamilton/armstrong/god discussion from a few days ago. So far, 13 responses and no one knows anything about the original topic. At least this time it is triathlon related.
Quote Reply
Re: You do it ... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was also in the '89 quake. After that one, it's not an earthquake unless the chandeliers are hitting the ceiling on both ends of their arc as they're swinging. A 4 won't even wake me up at night ;-)

So, who's going to spill the beans?!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm sure ... [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ncooksey wrote: " So far, 13 responses and no one knows anything about the original topic. At least this time it is triathlon related. "

Well, I know something about it but I am not talking. AND, I also was in (well, at least on the edge) of the '89 quake. I don't ever want to be "in" a big one again. However, since I haven't moved away, the chances of my seeing another get greater everyday. Maybe someone should check for earthquake predictions this weekend. Could that be it? I'm not talking I said.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: You do it ... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy

Ruth and I will be there friday though mon

Lets hook up for some fun. Has to be either before or after the athletes [pro included] meetings though

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
given that larsen has been absolutely on fire lately i'm guessing it's something along the lines of a sub 2 hour bike split. 2 years ago he rode 2:07 and said it wasn't a great day so it wouldn't shock me. given that his swim is much improved since that time, we could see a pretty amazing race.

brent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you see, you bring bad luck, evil eye on people :-)
Quote Reply
Evil eye ... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right and I now realize it. I am keeping my mouth shut. In the words of the immortal Sgt Shultz, "I know nothing ..."

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Evil eye ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btw, I remembered you said something about anesthesia and achille tendinitis a while ago...
can you shoot me an email and recall how to deal with ach. tend. with anest. Olaf needs some help
with this...
Quote Reply
Re: Heard something today ... [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question isn't really how Larsen rides (fast!) but how he runs.

I would guess that the mysterious prediction is about SL's run time and I for one am very interested in seeing a good, solid run.

matt

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Heard an amazing predicition today, from someone who ought to know, regarding next weekends Vineman 1/2 IM. If you are there, and assuming all goes well (one never knows when it comes to racing), be ready to be impressed. Will not say more so as to not jinx it.

Frank

so Frank,

what was this amazing prediction and did it come true?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Heard something today ... [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Maybe it was Bell's performance. I'm impressed!

I'm also curious about what the rumor really was, though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next