Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Goggle marks
Quote | Reply
I am wanting to ramp up my swimming and thinking of joining a masters swim group instead of doing all my swimming solo. One thing holding me back from joining the morning group is the horrible goggle marks I get. I am 50 and have to deal with problems with bags under the eyes anyway. I have tried a few different goggles and it doesn't seem to make a big difference. Any advice for prevention or treatment?
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks [Purple1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
botox or the like. Seriously the best defense against goggle marks.

If you don't want to go that route go with Swedish goggles or TYR rocket sockets.

oh and most people on masters teams don't care about your goggle marked eyes... they probably have them too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So funny you posted this. I am 40 and got in the pool today after a month off and yup all evening all I notice is my goggle marks under my eyes. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think Botox( as other poster noted) would work for under the eye area so would be interested in other ideas. I will look into the TYR goggles for sure. Any other recommendations?

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not necessarily botox (I use that term like people use the word kleenex), but juvaderm or whatever the latest filler is...it builds up the bone under the eye so there's less squishy skin to get marked. You still get goggle marks but not nearly as bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no solution for you- I have the same problem. My goggle eyes last 3-4 hours. My solution is to wear glasses- they hide the goggle marks perfectly! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks [alaina1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GG, does botos really help for that? Would you recommend? I am so fed up with goggle marks lasting all day, am almost willing to try it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
52 years of experience here and most of them spent swimming. After trying everything, I settled on Barracuda goggles for two reasons. First, their 'Temperpedic'-foam gaskets don't mark my face and second, they don't leak because of the huge, soft gasket.

They may not be fast or attractive, but they keep the water out and are comfortable for literally hours during Ironman-length training swims. And, to answer your question, they don't mark my face.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, call me an ass. I'm giving you permission now. Or other creative names as you feel fit. Maybe it's because I've been a swimmer my whole life. Maybe it's because I'm in my early 30's. But if you're seriously letting something as insignificant as goggle marks keep you from swimming more to improve your performance/training/ability, maybe that's just a convenient excuse? I think it's pretty much a universal thing, swimmers have some sort of goggle marks (unless the cushier goggles are worn), I don't think anyone but you really cares or probably really even notices?

That said, I wear Swedes, SocketRockets or the Speedo ones with the little padding - my sockets get sore/lightly bruise when I haven't worn them in awhile - but my main concern is that they don't leak so I can see whatever I'm sighting on or the bottom of the pool - not whether they put lines on my face. Probably the same reason I wear ugly swimsuits, usually mismatched running stuff & don't wear makeup to the gym.

I do have a vain streak, so I'm trying to be sympathetic, I just don't understand. Maybe a good swabbing with the eye-area creams &/or firming lotions at night might help? I'm a HUGE fan of the Clinique eye stuff...I tend to get dark circles if/when my schedules go nutso.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Olay Regenerist eye roller after I get out of the pool. It is convenient and fast, two important things for me in beauty maintenance. It was mentioned on another thread, and it works well for me, although I am a little younger. If the rings stayed on my eyes, I would probably consider switching something more like a mask, with more surface area to share the pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the previous discussion on this very same forum.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...gi?post=3544174&

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks [triFP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think so. Like I said get a filler (botox isn't the right thing...but to me it all falls under 'botox') that will build up the bone. You still get goggle marks, but you don't have as much of the dark circle to begin with, so it's not as obvious.

But I'm also with Aware, just swim, nobody on the master's team cares.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never holds me back from swimming but funny that the original poster sent this on a day when I noticed as well. Although sorry folks when you get to be 40 you will likely notice it a bit more but for now you all are too young!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
according to USAT I am 40....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto - sigh.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know... I don't think it's so bad...

http://www.divinecaroline.com/...69-andy-rooney-forty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on which is deeper: F35-39 or F40-44 :-)

Around these parts, the latter is definitely tougher!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My theory is that, relatively speaking, among the womens the older the AG, the tougher. I figure younger kids may be faster, but for those of us that took up sports before or as a direct consequence of Title IX, there weren't many of us and we had to be tough nuts!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go sit in the steamroom for 5-10 minutes post-swim and you'll be fine.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you need to look sharp for a meeting an hour or so after your swim, goggle marks are going to hi-jack your shit. I addition to the steam room, Homie advises a gentle massage of the goggle imprint area and drinking a bottle of water while in the steamroom.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the good advise. Already been out for the eye roller, and mask type goggles are in the mail. Very interesting reading the comments, seeing how age affects us all. As for just looking for an excuse not to do the workout - I am not going to call you names. I am just going to laugh. As I said, I am 50. I have 2 teenagers and I am an obstetrician. I can come up with 20 excuses at any given time. After more than 20 years doing triathlons, this is just a hobby that I enjoy for the time with friends, staying in shape, and a little healthy competition. I'm not after world records, and do not want to go to Kona. Top third in age group and not losing too much from previous years is good enough. I have been a lurker on slowtwitch for years, and rarely post. I was motivated to post after my last swim workout wearing Kaimens looking like a raccoon for 4 hours afterwards. The kids and parents at the high school basketball game didn't seem to care, but it would have scared my patients! Again, thanks for the help, and for all the Slowtwitchers keeping it twitchy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahh... I think this post clears up that you weren't avoiding the masters team because you didn't want people on the team to see you with goggle marks (you have to admit that's kind of weird right?), but that it's an AM masters and you have to work (with patients) after and the goggle marks lasted through a good portion of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The goggle marks I get don't last for hours, they last for days. When I'm swimming a lot I always have google marks and quite frankly, I look like a freak. They're really bad. I've tried every kind of goggle and they all leave marks. I don't let that bother me TOO much, but it does bother me. I'm 49, but this has always been a problem for me. I guess it's just my skin. I try not to think about it too much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was in my 20s and 30s, I decided that when I got grey hairs, I would let them go grey. That I would NEVER dye my hair. That's for vain people, I thought.

That was then, this is now. I'm in my mid-40s. I started using henna on my hair last year. So, my point is that you can't understand what it is like until you are at that age yourself. Point fingers, judge, but you'll just feel silly about it later, when you're *actually* older. I remember when my dad (or was it my mom) said that everyone is beautiful when they're 18. There is beauty in youth, without much effort. As you get older, well, enough whining about "young folks these days."

I am not a vain person. I never comb my hair, wear no makeup most of the time, and haven't spent more than $100 on a pair of non-athletic shoes since forever. That being said, I really hate goggle marks. You see, youngsters, when you're older, they don't go away as quickly as they used to. It ages you 10 years, as the combination of goggle marks plus dark circles/puffy bags/loose skin under the eyes is truly spectacular. Spectacularly ugly. Enough that young children cry and turn away at the sight of my post-swim eyes. Medusa has nothing on me, when I've got goggle eyes. All right, just exaggerating a bit.

I don't have a good solution yet for this problem. I've just ordered Zoggs, which I heard leave less marks, but have yet to receive them. My Aquasphere Kaiman and Speedo Vanquishers also leave marks, plus they fog. Haven't tried the Swedes and probably never will (too much assembly required). Let me know what finally works for you...
Last edited by: karencoutts: Jan 9, 12 22:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will join in the love for swedes/socket rockets in that regard. The key is to now put them on overly tight- they seal to most eye sockets with only light to moderate pressure.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I mentioned in an earlier post, these 52 year-old eyes don't have goggle marks from Barracuda goggles. They have HUGE, soft gaskets that don't leave marks. Virtuall everything else I have tried has either left marks or leaks.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply

Prev Next