Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How long to recover from a calf heart attack [tiredlegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post is a good summary. Thank you. So, my 1st symptom of "calf attack" was 2 weeks ago this morning...in 30+ years I had never felt anything like it. It has been BAD every time I have run since then. Actually soleus. Hard massage last evening. Sounds like you found ART and Gaston the most effective.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover from a calf heart attack [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My turn to bump. H/T to Murphy's Law for pointing out the thread.

Looks like my only solace is that my first CHA occurred at the ripe ol' age of 57. Crushing the dreams of many a youngster right there.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover from a calf heart attack [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey - I went to the local ART guy....he did Graston too.....3 visits cured it. Just did IMCDA with no problem. I HIGHLY recommend the Tx I had.
-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover from a calf heart attack [olddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
olddog wrote:
You are describing exactly the problem I've had. I would run, strain a calf, rest/recover -- and then run and strain my calf. All since I turned 44 -- very frustrating.

Have solved it by stretching -- but stretching the whole leg, not just the calf. Start with the calf, then the hamstring, then the gluteus. In the mornign before I run and then in the evening before I turn in.

At least for me, it really works -- when I'm disciplined and keep up with it I don't have a problem anymore.

That is a good point. One thing that we often forget is that all of the body parts are connected, so that is why a problem in the calf might be alleviated by stretching the back, for example.

-------------------------------

“He is happy whose circumstances suit his temper but he is more excellent who can suit his temper to any circumstances” David Hume
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover from a calf heart attack [the-dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found this article from Slownman...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...alf_disease_926.html

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover from a calf heart attack [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone probably already said what I am about to say, but I used to be plagued with these. Eery time I got into shape--BAM. Was constantly stretching my calves to try to prevent them. Then, I stoppped stretching them and started religiously using "The Stick". In the year since I started this new protocol, not a single twinge in the calf.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover from a calf heart attack [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to Maui at the end of April.Went crazy and ran every day, then wore flip flops all day. My calf was sore but not bad, it would warm up eventually on the runs (5-7 miles). When I got home I was doing an easy 8 miler. My calf never warmed up, then "rip" at 6 miles. Great, calf heart attack. I run with older guys, they get them all the time. Well this was a big heart attack. I am finally better after 3 months! I tried to stay active doing the bike, elliptical, PT exercises, using the stick, got a massage, ice. Used that article from running times as a guide. Finally had to just take time off from running. That did the trick. Also limited driving the manual transmission car and no flip flops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad i found this thread. nursed itb last year with success. I moved to N. County in 11 and have nothing but hills here. Uphill or down, thats it by my house. I got my 'pull' a few weeks ago and have been through this same cycle. Feel better. run. hurt a few minutes into the run.

I have Surf City half mary in a few weeks. It was supposed to be a A race on a very limited race calendar. Hopefully I can rehab...and lower my expectations. 2010 was my best year. 11 sucked. I'd like to have a decent 2012.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runners beware on the calf heart attack. I was diagnosed initially with compartment syndrome. However the root cause was blood clots in my calf’s. I was getting these calf heart attacks just as described about every 6 weeks. I am on cumiden and haven’t had one since. Go into your doctor next time it happens and get a clot scan. Rule that out at least.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover from a calf heart attack [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Have never heard the phrase "calf heart attack" before. A cramp? A muscle knot?

Is this in pink? You been on this site for a long time and Slowman has written about this issue in the past that many of us that are north of 40 (his saying) experience.

Do those north of 40 sometime experience this because the aging process of the connective tissue varies from the muscular tissue causing a conflict that is difficult to explain to those who are unaware of this condition? Then how do we explain the process of being hobbled for several years to (knock on wood) experiencing pain free calf issues for the past 3 years?
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover from a calf heart attack [Billybumper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this thread is old:

I have had what people call the "Calf Heart Attack" and thought it was damage to muscles caused by running.

Last January after spending 20+ hours on a plane over 2 days I was diagnosed with a DVT in my calf. It felt the same as when I felt the "Calf Heart Attack" but a bit more intense.

I know think all those instances were in fact blood clots. Massage has always helped my calves a lot, whenever I felt a twinge I made sure I got my massage stick out and slowly went to work on that area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like JaretJ, my apologies for coming to this topic late. As we say in this part of the world, "Sandra Sully with the late-breaking news".

I've never heard it called a calf heart attack, but I know exactly what you mean. My analogy is it feels like someone is sticking stiletto in your "baby bull". A doctor I know put it in simple terms - "it's fibrosis. Or, as I like to call it, old man's disease".

I went through a patch of a couple of years when I was having calf issues regularly. I'd have a strain, take three-four weeks to fix it, return to running and a couple of months later - bang - back to square one.

I know it's no consolation for you, Summitt, but I have an excellent physio here and she put very basic orthotics (off the shelf, not custom-made) in my shoes. They made all the difference. I still have to be careful, and I'm very particular about stretching, but (touch wood) I haven't had a major calf problem since - and that was a good three-four years ago.

Food for thought, anyway. I hope you've found your own permanent solution.

Cheers

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through a month of limited/no running but really started noticing an improvement when I started rolling my calf. I bought a triggerpoint like this...

https://www.tptherapy.com/product/grid_foamroller

Fold my opposite leg on top of the other leg for some weight.. rolled the calf for a few minutes. Tough to say but it was the thing that seemed to remedy my calf issue.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover from a calf heart attack [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Have never heard the phrase "calf heart attack" before. A cramp? A muscle knot?

Is this in pink? You been on this site for a long time and Slowman has written about this issue in the past that many of us that are north of 40 (his saying) experience.

Her post was eight and a half years ago, tough guy.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one half a year ago. A sharp pain in the calf which shoots right in the brain. Could limp home. Did not know what is was, and started running again after 4 days. Which was not a good idea.
I informed myself and heard about a 10 days rest.
So after 10 days I started running again and did not experience problems anymore.

Knock on wood.

I run with compression socks since then.
Quote Reply
Re: How long to recover from a calf heart attack [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:

I run with compression socks since then.

At least the longtrousers cover them up!

btw y'all, no one who has had an actual heart attack would refer to a calf cramp as a "calf heart attack" Consider me triggered... ;)

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow this is an old thread and I'm now 59 but my days of calf heart attacks are over. I haven't had one in a few years. My solution was to quit riding the Computrainer in the fixed watt mode "erg". I only ride the Computrainer in the mode where I control the power. Something with the constant resistance would cause the heart attacks when I would run the next day.

I know this sounds weird but I cannot set the CT at 200 constant watts no matter what your cadence is or it screws up my calf but I can average 200 watts all day f I'm controlling the power.

Knock on wood because winter is coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. So often it's one thing. Once you fix it, problem solved.

But my, isn't it "fun" finding out what that One Thing is.

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Quote Reply

Prev Next