Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Cheating

I registered for Ironman Cozumel, but was unable to go. Someone in our tri community found out that I would not be racing. In order for her boyfriend to be on the course pacing her throughout the race, they made a fake driver's license with my name and date of birth on it and were able to pick up my race packet. I had no knowledge of this until Ironman contacted me about my race results. Apparently, they had manual results as well, and since he crossed the finish line with her (receiving a finishers medal and t-shirt) a finish time was recorded. When the folks at Ironman reviewed the results (11:10 finish time was in the top of my age group), the found that it was not me in the pictures. He was all over the course, posing and waving to the camera. I've since learned that she has him on the course at every race she does.

My hope is that they used this ID only to race. I am worried that if they got away with this, they did something else in my name while in Mexico. Anyone have advice for what my next move will be?

Re: Ironman Cheating [triaim] [ In reply to ]

Post pictures!!!

She needs a DQ. In what state did this manufacturing of government identification items occur? You might speak with an attorney about whether there is a viable civil or criminal route to pursue. There was deliberate premeditation here; this time they just happened to get caught. Be prepared to show how you were "damaged." The issue is the identity theft; not so much the arena in which it occurred nor its purpose.

Quote:
When the folks at Ironman reviewed the results (11:10 finish time was in the top of my age group), the found that it was not me in the pictures.

Ok, now we know the time. Lets post some pics of them finishing and out their names. Let me get my pitchfork...brb

Re: Ironman Cheating [Jackb] [ In reply to ]

I love Friday's on ST.

Wow that's not just cheating, that's forgery and falsifying government documents - sounds like felony-you-can-go-to-prison type stuff. What you do next, I guess that depends on how pissed you are.

Post pictures on here of both scumbags.

Then send the pictures to IM and explain things to them. Send their names and addresses so they can be denied access to future events.

You could also report him to the police as this is identity theft and is a crime. Don't know what the potential penalties are but with pictures it should be a pretty open and shut case. In fact it isn't the pacing (cheating) that bothers me rather it is the identity theft. Having this on record with the police may at least help a little just in case there is an arrest warrent out for you in Mexico.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.

Wow, if that actually happened that's so devious. Depending on your perspective of the situation, you should pursue legal action and/or compensation. That's ridiculous.

Even though I kind of respect their audacity, if I was you I'd be put out.

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/

This situation is bad on many levels. Be hard not to scream at them.

Are these cheaters low on cash?

Re: Ironman Cheating [TravisT] [ In reply to ]

TravisT wrote:
I love Friday's on ST.

Just when I thought I would have a semi-productive weekend, too!

Well there are 5 Finishers at 11:10

DRYE, LEIGH 12/8/6 42/Female 40-44 S 01:07:29 05:42:34 04:11:55 11:10:09

CARLSON, PAUL 84/32/77 37/Male 35-39 E 01:05:00 05:10:30 04:46:30 11:10:23

MEDLER, TERRY 82/103/80 32/Male 30-34 D 01:04:18 06:00:08 03:59:16 11:10:25

LILLEY, ERIKA 9/11/11 32/Female 30-34 Q 01:02:28 05:42:38 04:10:56 11:10:31

PRIBYL, LESLIE 5/6/5 46/Female 45-49 T 01:07:20 05:39:40 04:14:42 11:10:48

Can someone get photos?

Although I am not usually in favor of trial by internet, this is so blatant that I would at least out them to your local triathlon community. Although probably nothing could be made of it, I would file an identity fraud police report as well. To be on safe side, you should go through the steps for an identity fraud- freezing your credit,putting a fraud notice with each of the credit reporting agencies for instance.

Re: Ironman Cheating [p2k2001] [ In reply to ]

what they did was definitely wrong, but if the volunteers at check in were anything like the check in volunteers at IM Florida last year then you could have shown them your pic and name on a cracker jack box and they would have taken it. It's not like they were checking ID's at the near by college bar on a friday night.

Now, back to the regulary scheduled programming........time for some pics!

Re: Ironman Cheating [IronLance] [ In reply to ]

At the very least the person stole your entry fee!

Which of those 11:10 times is also top in the age group?

Re: Ironman Cheating [Stumps] [ In reply to ]

plus it's only really cheating if he took your Kona slot

Sorry, for my own naive view, but I'm trying to understand the situation.

It seems the biggest offense is that this PACER was on the track and thus in the way of other racers, or at least that if all racers had their own pacers then they would be. Solution 1: Discredit Cheater and perhaps ban from other races, as well as credit other racers with the possible delay times.

A time record was entered in your name. Solution 2: Ironman erases the time from their records. Ironman contacts media coverage and professional time records to indicate the error. In the future IF you cannot attend a race that you have registered, then you contact them as soon as possible to prevent fraud.

A PACER is disguised as a racer, or a racer might use your name to gain access to a race they would not have otherwise qualified for. Solution 3: Maintain a database of racer profiles so that both the racer and the race officials can verify previous results and race officials can verify participants prior to the start of a race. If a race cannot be organized well enough to verify the identity of it's participants than they should not be considered creditable enough to report the results of their race.

Like I said though. I'm am naive to the full complexities, but I'm will to listen and provide assistance from a unique perspective.

I am assuming that WTC has already pulled triam real name from the results since they know it was not him at the race. So there are 3 women in there, one of them is the culprit

Re: Ironman Cheating [Jackb] [ In reply to ]

If I go with the theory that guys don't usually date / marry older women (not that I have anything against that), I think it would be safe to say that we can narrow the field of 11:10 finishers to Carlson, Medler for the men, and Lilley for the woman. What say you?

Stumps wrote:
At the very least the person stole your entry fee!

Which of those 11:10 times is also top in the age group?

Uhm, you do realize all that's going to do is get you the real name of the OP, not the criminal, right? I suppose you don't care about that and want to then use that to find pictures of the scumbag, but let's be nice and protect the ID of the OP if we can, please.

Also note that those of you saying the OP should look to press charges, remember the identity theft happened in MEXICO. You'd have to press charges THERE. Even if you had some kind of proof the ID was created in the US (and getting that would be quite a coup), that alone isn't *much* of a crime.

I highly doubt anyone would be so bold as to use your ID for this AND serious criminal activity, so I would guess it's simply prudent to keep an eye on your credit report and such and not worry much about THAT. You might also make some inquiries with Mexican authorities if you speak spanish or know someone fluent, but in general it sounds like it would be pretty easy for you to prove you weren't even in Mexico then so there's little chance you could be in much trouble even if they did do something bad in your name.

Amazing audacity, I gotta say.

--Donnie

Post deleted by calsbeek [ In reply to ]

Whoa.

I wonder if the airline gave the guy a hard time when he tried to carry on his gigantic balls.

Re: Ironman Cheating [sentania] [ In reply to ]

So, did this person get DQ'd too!!!!
Last edited by: IronLance: Dec 30, 11 12:52

Re: Ironman Cheating [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]

mfrassica wrote:
If I go with the theory that guys don't usually date / marry older women (not that I have anything against that), I think it would be safe to say that we can narrow the field of 11:10 finishers to Carlson, Medler for the men, and Lilley for the woman. What say you?

No, the 2 men's names are innocent. Most likely the OP name is already pulled. The other 2 mens names have no relation to the women. (Even if the OP's name is there he has no relation as he merely belongs to the same tri community and is not in a relationship with the perp

All three women are still suspect

Re: Ironman Cheating [sentania] [ In reply to ]

This is pretty crazy. If I read this right, one of the people who supposedly stole the identity and cheated is trying to make a living as a coach. This reminds me of "what his name" from the summer who had all of his short bike legs.... damn, what was his name?

Re: Ironman Cheating [mike@wahoo] [ In reply to ]

newbz!!!!

Prev Next