Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Deep race wheels?
Quote | Reply
Hi all. I'm looking at getting some used race wheels and looking for feedback from the "womens" about rim depth. Any experience getting blown around on the deeper wheels like a set of zipp 808's for instance (a set I am contemplating at the moment).

I have ridden some Carbones (50mm) in the past without issues with crosswinds. I'm 5'7" and 125lbs.

Any insight?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Deep race wheels? [barrel_o_monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just shy of 5'10" and weigh about 135. I ride 808s with no problems.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'10" race about 132-135 and ride 808s w/ rear wheel cover when allowed. I'm also very used to riding in wind/gusts. What most people think is windy is not windy to me.

If you are comfortable riding in the wind/gusts on regular wheels then you probably won't have a problem. I've seen people get blown around/blown off the bike etc on training wheels in the same gusts that people lighter than them get through. It usually comes down to comfort, reaction time, maintaining a strong forward speed and just being smart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden 404s and 808s and I find the 808s feel a bit twitcher on a windy day. I didn't find it problematic, just a different feel.

I think it would only be an issue if it's really windy and/or you're a really nervous rider.

As a point of reference I'm 5'4 and 120.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'6" and 110 lbs and I HATE using an 808 up front. In fact, I have found that I only use it about half the time- if I know the wind is forecast less than 10mph, or the course is set up in a way that crosswinds won't be a factor (depending on wind direction for the day). Instead of using my 808, I have raced with my training wheel (in a pinch), borrowed a 404 up front, and ridden a clincher+tubular hybrid. I don't have any problems with 404 + 808 rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my first dip into any sort of aero wheels, I rode a used pair of the 34mm deep Rolf Prima Vigors and had a lot of issues in wind. Last year I upgraded to the Hed 6/9 combo and I love them! Someone told me the deep rear wheel works to keep me more stable. I don't know - but it works. I feel very comfortable on them.

I'm just over 5'6 and race at 125.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go as deep on the front as you are comfortable handling. Go as deep or disc on the back as you can get.

Some of the newer wheels are tuned to better handle crosswinds then some of the older wheels.

If you go to the main forum, you can find enough info on this to make your head explode, twice.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Deep race wheels? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does "deep" mean in this context?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Deep race wheels? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>60mm.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Deep race wheels? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are we measuring?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
What are we measuring?

Rim depth...Brian is talking about rims greater than 60mm deep....ie edge of the wheel to the end of the fairing.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team