Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Richard Sachs cyclocross bike
Quote | Reply
Richard Sachs cyclocross frames are like the holy grail of cross bikes ---- wait time for a new one is like 6 years?!

What do you think of this Richard Sachs bike from a 0 feedback seller who says it used to belong to Jonathan Page? Not that I have the money to drop on this thing

link

Looks like at least 1 person is wants one bad enough to take a risk. JP has ridden for Sachs cyclocross team for a number of years in the past: http://www.richardsachs.com/...ofile-richard-sachs/

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Last edited by: jeremyb: Dec 27, 11 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: eBay scam ---- what say you? cyclocross related [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks legit to me. the seller's response to questions indicate that he knows what it is and that he's got it in his possession.
Quote Reply
Re: eBay scam ---- what say you? cyclocross related [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check out where the seller is from, maybe check Craiglist in that area/city. Try to call and ask a bunch of questions about it. He says it's for sale locally as well.

Ryan Borger - Denver, CO: Realtor. Former pro triathlete/coach. Cancer survivor. podiumproperties.com
Quote Reply
Re: eBay scam ---- what say you? cyclocross related [borgerendurance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't look like a scam, however the 0 feedback is a slight concern.
More of a concern to me, that thing looks like something o fa late 80's vintage not something that is from 2003, but I am no Richard Sachs expert.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: eBay scam ---- what say you? cyclocross related [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the scam is that he set that high a price for a ChroMo frame. What the heck are these Sachs bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: eBay scam ---- what say you? cyclocross related [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's not a scam atmo. the woman's late husband bought it used back in 2002 or so. PS i
wondered where all the site hits came from; i haven't logged in here in at least 6 years!
Quote Reply
Re: eBay scam ---- what say you? cyclocross related [e-RICHIE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
e-RICHIE wrote:
it's not a scam atmo. the woman's late husband bought it used back in 2002 or so. PS i
wondered where all the site hits came from; i haven't logged in here in at least 6 years!

The man himself ---- awesome ---- now if JP commented as well....

@ Morey you forgot the pink font

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well I never...
Good to see you here e-RITCHIE

RS, here in the flesh - and then the typical STer... That's two worlds colliding right there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i say it would be nice if you instead inquired direct of the seller of the provenance of the frame, rather than cast unfounded aspersions anonymously on the internet and without any intention of even buying it. perhaps even offer an apology or condolences to the seller.

the woman lost her husband for heaven's sakes. now selling bike gear, for whatever her personal reasons may be--none of which is anyone's business.

http://www.ctcentral.com/...61&dept_id=30987
Last edited by: 54ny77: Dec 23, 11 13:15
Quote Reply
Re: eBay scam ---- what say you? cyclocross related [54ny77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have no idea what you're talking about ----

Getting Richard Sachs to say that he thinks this is a legit auction is worth more than a seller's response to the question of its provenance. And because he did comment on it, the woman has a far better likelihood of getting what this piece of art is actually worth; I think I did her a service.

If you look at the auction questions. That question below is from me ---- does she sound offended? Do you see my condolences about her loss?

Q: I thought you should know I also had concerns about the authenticity of this auction, and posted the question on a cycling forum and Mr. Richard Sachs himself commented that he thought this was legit and not some sort of scam. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...orum_view_collapsed;

Thought you should know...and sorry to hear of your loss.

A: Thank you so much. All interested parties see link below!!!.

I did not submit the question on the auction which says do not buy the frame this is a scam.

I never asked why she is selling the frame --- but seeing as this is a $3000+ frame and it's being sold by a person with ZERO feedback that usually is cause for alarm. I posted the link on Slowtwitch because I did have concerns of the authenticity and there is a high likelihood that it might have been a stolen frame of which someone could have recovered. However, that is not the case for this auction.

You have 80 posts over the last two years ---- maybe you should stay a lurker...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not worth my time commenting further to your response other than I hope the seller gets the best price possible, and that hopefully others (myself included) have reached out to her directly to point out some alternative avenues for selling it to a more knowledgeable buyer base (without the ebay hassles & fees).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeremyb wrote:

Getting Richard Sachs to say that he thinks this is a legit auction is worth more than a seller's response to the question of its provenance. And because he did comment on it, the woman has a far better likelihood of getting what this piece of art is actually worth; I think I did her a service.

If you look at the auction questions. That question below is from me ---- does she sound offended? Do you see my condolences about her loss?

Q: I thought you should know I also had concerns about the authenticity of this auction, and posted the question on a cycling forum and Mr. Richard Sachs himself commented that he thought this was legit and not some sort of scam. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...orum_view_collapsed;

I did not submit the question on the auction which says do not buy the frame this is a scam.

I never asked why she is selling the frame --- but seeing as this is a $3000+ frame and it's being sold by a person with ZERO feedback that usually is cause for alarm. I posted the link on Slowtwitch because I did have concerns of the authenticity and there is a high likelihood that it might have been a stolen frame of which someone could have recovered. However, that is not the case for this auction.

You have 80 posts over the last two years ---- maybe you should stay a lurker...

i'd like to thank this thread for sending so many visitors not only to my site but to the auction as well atmo. as a result, the traffic has near doubled the high bid since i first saw this 5-6 days ago. koos died tragically as a result of a car versus man incident some 8 years ago and his widow has slowly been cleaning house.

it pains me to see so much vitriol and misinformation aimed at her while this auction was live. shame on anyone who had condescending opinions about her or this frame without knowing the back-story, especially when it is delivered by folks who hide behind a screen name.

lastly, i have had a login here since 2004 and at a loss to understand why one's (low) post numbers have any relation to the efficacy of what he posts.

happy holidays/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great response. Love your bikes, you are indeed an artist.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad that she got a good price for it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man I didnt know frames can be this famous and expensive! GL
Quote Reply
Re: eBay scam ---- what say you? cyclocross related [NotZeroSix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just looked at the auction again, did look through the Q&A's and did notice that someone accused her of stealing the frame or something to that affect... I hope it wasn't a slowtwitcher...

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do realize that there are a lot of different ways to verify authenticity without creating drama, correct? Also that PayPal will not release her money for the frame until 1) the buyer leaves positive feedback 2) three days after the buyer receives the item if no feedback has been left or 3) 21 days after payment is received if the item is not contested.
Yes, I went to the view the auction.
Quote Reply
Re: eBay scam ---- what say you? cyclocross related [Mexpedip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did I create drama? I asked a question and think that I greatly helped the seller. I also posted a link to the auction on my very popular cyclocross blog to help drive traffic to her.

From what I've heard those PayPal policies do not protect you from losing your money to a fraudulent seller. Though that point is very moot at this time.

Last edited by: jeremyb: Dec 27, 11 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
e-RICHIE wrote:
jeremyb wrote:

i'd like to thank this thread for sending so many visitors not only to my site but to the auction as well atmo. as a result, the traffic has near doubled the high bid since i first saw this 5-6 days ago. koos died tragically as a result of a car versus man incident some 8 years ago and his widow has slowly been cleaning house.

That's certainly a plus of large sites like this, the traffic. You seem like a knowledgable guy and I'm glad your site is getting visitors. Though clearly it's a logical fallacy to think that the high bid doubled simply because of the traffic from this particular thread. If that is indeed the case, and it's certainly a possibility, I'm glad because it sounds like a legit deal if you're into vintage bikes.

it pains me to see so much vitriol and misinformation aimed at her while this auction was live. shame on anyone who had condescending opinions about her or this frame without knowing the back-story, especially when it is delivered by folks who hide behind a screen name.

I think people were commenting on the fact that is was a rare frame from a zero feedback seller. Backstory is typically irrelevant in that scenario, though it was relevant here because it appears to have been legitimate. Ninety-nine times out of one hundred, this exact scenario would have been a scam, and I think you know that. So you and the seller (from the ebay auction comments) attacking people and feigning disgust because someone would DARE question a seeming eBay scam simply because someone DIED strikes me as fairly ignorant.

Hey, let's post some ridiculously cheap brand-name bike from a bike shop in India and then attack people when they say it's almost certainly a scam because THEY DON'T KNOW THE BACKSTORY of the bike shop or because the bike shop owner DIED. How ridiculous. We all know that cheap brand-name bikes from India are a scam the vast majority of the time just like we know cheap or rare things from zero-feedback eBay sellers are a scam the majority of the time.

lastly, i have had a login here since 2004 and at a loss to understand why one's (low) post numbers have any relation to the efficacy of what he posts.

You don't understand that people get a reputation with their posts and that the reputation can lend credence to someone being trustworthy or knowledgable? It's just like anywhere. If you were in a bike shop looking around, I was in that same shop getting advice from the bike shop employees, and you chimed in that their advice was incorrect, I would be more likely to dismiss your views because you have no reputation with me (this is assuming I don't know who you are in this hypo). Do you see how in this scenario, even though it may have been an incorrect decision at the time, I would have been more likely to listen to people I see working on bikes daily and employed at the shop than a random customer shopping for bike parts?

In the same way, high post counts typically indicate that someone is a regular. Certainly it doesn't conclusively indicate that they're knowledgable, but it lends some evidence to the affirmative in the same way that working in a bike shop lends evidence to bicycle knowledge, even if that isn't always the case. I'm not sure how this concept escapes you.

Also, I don't think "efficacy" was the word you were looking for.

happy holidays/

ty!
Quote Reply
Re: eBay scam ---- what say you? cyclocross related [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey - thanks for taking the time atmo.

jjabr wrote:

That's certainly a plus of large sites like this, the traffic. You seem like a knowledgable guy and I'm glad your site is getting visitors. Though clearly it's a logical fallacy to think that the high bid doubled simply because of the traffic from this particular thread. If that is indeed the case, and it's certainly a possibility, I'm glad because it sounds like a legit deal if you're into vintage bikes.

I think people were commenting on the fact that is was a rare frame from a zero feedback seller. Backstory is typically irrelevant in that scenario, though it was relevant here because it appears to have been legitimate. Ninety-nine times out of one hundred, this exact scenario would have been a scam, and I think you know that. So you and the seller (from the ebay auction comments) attacking people and feigning disgust because someone would DARE question a seeming eBay scam simply because someone DIED strikes me as fairly ignorant.

Hey, let's post some ridiculously cheap brand-name bike from a bike shop in India and then attack people when they say it's almost certainly a scam because THEY DON'T KNOW THE BACKSTORY of the bike shop or because the bike shop owner DIED. How ridiculous. We all know that cheap brand-name bikes from India are a scam the vast majority of the time just like we know cheap or rare things from zero-feedback eBay sellers are a scam the majority of the time.

You don't understand that people get a reputation with their posts and that the reputation can lend credence to someone being trustworthy or knowledgable? It's just like anywhere. If you were in a bike shop looking around, I was in that same shop getting advice from the bike shop employees, and you chimed in that their advice was incorrect, I would be more likely to dismiss your views because you have no reputation with me (this is assuming I don't know who you are in this hypo). Do you see how in this scenario, even though it may have been an incorrect decision at the time, I would have been more likely to listen to people I see working on bikes daily and employed at the shop than a random customer shopping for bike parts?

In the same way, high post counts typically indicate that someone is a regular. Certainly it doesn't conclusively indicate that they're knowledgable, but it lends some evidence to the affirmative in the same way that working in a bike shop lends evidence to bicycle knowledge, even if that isn't always the case. I'm not sure how this concept escapes you.

Also, I don't think "efficacy" was the word you were looking for.

happy holidays/

ty!
Quote Reply