Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to get from here to there and back - traveling to FL with an 8 month old
Quote | Reply
A dad cross-posting here from the LR to get experienced mom ideas:

Keeping this quick for now, typing with a potentially broken hand (potential boring story for another thread, may need surgery).

Flying to FL to see my dad in a week for Christmas. My dad has no baby stuff at his 2 bedroom condo, hasn't really been around kids much since I was little.

We are planning on taking our pack n play, car seat (he's flying on our laps), stroller and portable baby chair (for feeding time) with us. Flying US Air which has crappy per baggage costs ($25 for first, $35 for second, per person). We can do a car seat or stroller for free, the rest we'd have to figure out how to either ship or get in a suitcase. 50 lbs max for a suitcase.

Any experience in this type of scenario? I think I can get the pack n play in one of our larger suitcases with some other stuff, I think that's cheaper than shipping it for $70 (there and back).

No chance he can get the stuff back up to us in a timely manner when he next comes to visit. We might have him buy the portable chair to keep as it would be useful to have going forward.

Quote Reply
Re: How to get from here to there and back - traveling to FL with an 8 month old [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes you can rent stuff locally... like the chair for feeding and portable crib. My sister in law did it for a vacation in Florida.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get from here to there and back - traveling to FL with an 8 month old [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even buying the pack & play locally will be cheaper. Can always be donated afterwards - if he doesn't have the space to keep it for future visits. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skip the feeding chair, just hold the baby during feedings, and buy a pack-n-play at Walmart for $30. Take the stroller and car seat for free and don't worry about the rest. I have traveled quite a bit with a toddler and the more stuff you carry the worse off you are!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with what the others have said. Use the car seat or stroller as a feeding chair. Bring a good umbrella stroller with you and buy a pack and play down there. Ideally, your dad could find a friend to borrow a pack and play from. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be by taking too much baby stuff with you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option for the sleeping arrangement is to buy a PeaPod. Awesomest thing ever for traveling with a small one - if you will be doing any amount of traveling with the little one in the next couple of months. It's a little tent.

http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?p=4,5

Fits in a carry on suitcase (takes up 1/3-1/2). Don't know when you're leaving or if you want to invest in something else, but we LOVE our peapod!! We rarely take our pack and play with us any more. The tyke will outgrow it somewhere between 12-18 months though, when they figure out they can stand up and try to walk instead of napping...

Anyways, another idea...

And I agree about the feeding chair - the stroller will work great for that, don't worry about bringing one down. If you really want one, for $20 you can get plastic one at Walmart.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Dad bought a cheap pack n play, booster seat and umbrella stroller. We should be much better off now. WHEW.

Bonus was there is a condo unit for rent during Christmas as well. Cheaper than a hotel, two floors above my Dad. No longer have to worry about how the little guy will sleep.

Thanks for all the advice.
Quote Reply