Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tim O'Donnell uses a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles? Does it work and how to do use it?
Quote | Reply
From triathlete mag "he climbed Mount Lemmon, ran 23 miles at a 2:50 marathon pace and used a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles."

How does it work I would love to try it? Does anyone else do this or know if it works?
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell uses a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles? Does it work and how to do use it? [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.homedepot.com/...l-buffer-131623.html

Looks like that might be the one to use?
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell uses a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles? Does it work and how to do use it? [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.myopractic.com/...rk_Tools_Buffers.htm

I found this and few more places that say something about using it. Anyone doing it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its a waxing machine, i can see it working for sure, it kinda bounces around and jiggles..

That is what I am thinking as well? I wonder if it will get deep enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard he uses the Hitachi Magic Wand for smaller jobs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a simoniz one ive never used, i will try it tonight!

There's a place in town (Boulder) called All Sports Recovery that has MVP boots, ice bath, cold laser, massage and a bunch of improvisational recovery tools like the car buffer, which is where Tim probably used it for the first time. Anyone who's used the buffer will say it feels amazing...and it's cheaper than a pair of compression socks, which is why I went out and bought one this summer. It has a permanent home next to my couch and I love to use it. Unfortunately, one of my dogs likes to attack it when it's fired up and whirring...teeth marks all over the thing.

Re: Tim O'Donnell uses a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles? Does it work and how to do use it? [uncle_evan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let us know how it works. Seems like it make sense that it would loosen the muscles up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard belt sanders are good for removing unwanted fat...

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would electrocute myself in the shower with that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell uses a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles? Does it work and how to do use it? [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how do you use it? I saw that about All Sports Recovery in Boulder having one.

Eugene
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell uses a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles? Does it work and how to do use it? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
I've heard belt sanders are good for removing unwanted fat...

LOL - Awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've done that. it's pretty awesome.

helps if you have a buddy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I made & use. Epoxy'd chair bottom knob onto reciprocating saw/jigsaw blade. Can change out blades/knob sizes.

Ryan Borger - Denver, CO: Realtor. Former pro triathlete/coach. Cancer survivor. podiumproperties.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell uses a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles? Does it work and how to do use it? [borgerendurance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen videos where they use a similar adaptation of what you have made...though they often involve phallic parts and oiled models...

Quote | Reply
borgerendurance wrote:
This is what I made & use. Epoxy'd chair bottom knob onto reciprocating saw/jigsaw blade. Can change out blades/knob sizes.

Isn't that like getting punched 120 times a minute?
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell uses a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles? Does it work and how to do use it? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Isn't that like getting punched 120 times a minute?
This one is only a 12v battery, it feels good. Honestly it needs a tad more umph to it..but the battery powered ones are nice for travel. No outlet needed so you can hit up the legs in the transition area before the race to get the blood flowin'!

Ryan Borger - Denver, CO: Realtor. Former pro triathlete/coach. Cancer survivor. podiumproperties.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   It does not really work as a massage tool, but it makes him look damn good when he pauses under a street light at night. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell uses a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles? Does it work and how to do use it? [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info; you wrote that it's cheaper than a pair of compression socks, but how do you use it when you're biking and running.

Do you tape it to your leg and plug it in at aid stations?

Sorry, couldn't resist. thanks to all for a really cool idea

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell uses a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles? Does it work and how to do use it? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of reminds me of a recent controversy at Northwestern University involving a couple using one of these in front of a class.

http://www.nowpublic.com/...u-class-2762565.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used the Ryobi buffer but do not use it too long as there will be some negative effects. One is that your skin will heat up & dry out. Almost like soaking in chlorine for a day & then drying off--very parched paper-like skin. The other thing is if you press too hard it is like getting rug burn. Make sure there is a soft sheepskin like covering or other soft cover that may be applicable in this case which is intended specifically for this machine. It does really allow a somewhat decent massage though--but not as good a the human touch. Finally, it is loud.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim O'Donnell uses a Ryobi car buffer to massage his muscles? Does it work and how to do use it? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I bought the Ryobi Buffer it is great. I would say it does not take the place of massage but it is a great warm up tool as welll as great at blood flow. Simple and easy to use. 20 something bucks. You want the 6 inch model from home depot not the 10 inch. It is what it shows tim using it is great.

Eugene
Quote Reply