Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Was Your Week: Dec. 12 Edition
Quote | Reply
Spill!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week: Dec. 12 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was psyched about my 5 swims this week. My goals had been swim 4x, so clearly I met that goal. The other goal was to eat normal portions of sweets. On some days I still had 2 servings of m+ms (or the like) but I was more AWARE of how much sugar I eat, and on two separate days I had fruit-flavored yogurt instead. Some progress :-) I don't mind eating some sweets, I'm just trying to avoid the craving for sugar I get every day around 4 pm... run mileage for this week: intervals on Monday, then 10k tempo on S and S. No rhyme or reason. That's just how my body felt.

M - 5.6 mi run + 2300 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 1200 yd swim
W - 3.5 mi run + 2500 yd swim
T - 6.6 mi run + 1200 yd swim
F - 7.4 mi run + 3000 yd swim
S - 10.8 mi run + lifted
S - 9.3 mi run + yoga

totals: 10,200 yds + 51.2 miles

Goals for this week: 4 swims, continue fighting the sugar monster (I'm kind of embarrassed that this is an issue for me... everyone thinks I'm sooo healthy), lift twice.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[ continue fighting the sugar monster (I'm kind of embarrassed that this is an issue for me... everyone thinks I'm sooo healthy),

I'm right there with you. I workout, eat healthy, rarely drink, no caffeine, etc, etc, etc. BUT I have huge monkey on my back when it comes to sweets. I can whip up a batch of chocolate chip cookies in < 5 min. I LOVE baked goods and candy bars. I'm slowly improving. But here's my rationalization - I don't do anything else. Everyone has to have one guilty pleasure, and as long as I continue to keep mine somewhat moderate, it's ok if I enjoy one or two sweets a day. Avoiding them makes me binge, so I allow myself 1-2 and I certainly work it off (so do you). So no harm no foul. We're ok. Don't beat yourself up over it. Try to avoid it, but don't feel guilty. That never helped anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week: Dec. 12 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My week was just OK. It was the week after my marathon, so I allowed myself to get out of things I shouldn't have (like swimming).

Monday - off
Tuesday - run 4
Wednesday run 6, bike 45 min
Thursday run 6 a.m., run 8 p.m.
Friday run 5
Saturday run 13
Sunday bike 2 hours, run 8

Total 50 miles, and 2:45 on bike.

This week I start back at honest training.
GOALS
running 60 miles
Biking 3-4 rides, minimum 4 hours
Swimming 2 times

Happy training everyone -

Nancy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also binge if I avoid it.
I don't feel guilty - while I was writing my thesis, I gave myself permission to snack on candy while I worked if that was what I wanted. I knew I trained enough that I wouldn't get fat. So I didn't feel guilty because I'd given myself the permission.

The issue, I think, is that sugar replaces more nutrient-dense foods. i.e., if I eat 2 packs of skittles in the afternoon, I could have eaten yogurt and that has calcium + protein. So I wind up with enough calories, but low on nutrients.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It was the week after my marathon, so I allowed myself to get out of things I shouldn't have (like swimming).

I think the week post marathon you can do whatever you feel like ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still amazed at how much better I feel after starting progesterone and estrogen replacement. Today, I will check on testosterone levels and see if there is some improvement that can come there as well.

7 full days of workouts after a HIM!
Mon - swim and run
Tues - run
Wed - swim and run
Thurs - bike
Fri - bike
Sat - run
Sun - long bike

The big story isn't in distances covered, but that I'm able to handle daily training and feel refreshed and strong afterwards. I haven't felt this physically good in years!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week: Dec. 12 Edition [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for you!!!
I'm 47 yo, and so the big pause is coming up quickly. I totally plan on going on HRT (hormone replacement therapy).
I'm glad to hear you doing so well on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have a massive sweat tooth!

As a kid it was all about the sugar for me. Not really into chocolate; mostly gum, lollipops, etc.

Thing that I've found incredibly helpful is 70% dark chocolate. Since I've started eating it I don't crave any other sweats and because it's not that tasty there's no desire to eat too much of it.

My personal preference is the Lindt one. Others are creamier, but I'd probably eat more if it was creamier.

It's definitely a bit of an acquired taste especially when you're coming from the really sweat stuff, but worth giving it a try.

As for my training last week...presently injured and after 3 months of trying to train through it I've given up and am not doing anything.

This is week 3 and I'm amazed at how well I've taken to being completely inactive!

My goals now are to be lazy until after New Years and to get my average 'posts per day' up to 1. Wish me luck!
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week: Dec. 12 Edition [bluepoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluepoint wrote:
Thing that I've found incredibly helpful is 70% dark chocolate. <snip> My personal preference is the Lindt one. Others are creamier, but I'd probably eat more if it was creamier.

i have one square of lindt 90% dark each day, and occasionally a small square of their 99%.

having compared lindt to other chocolatiers' offerings on a one-to-one basis (ie: 85% cacao to 85% cacao), lindt has the most intense, deep cacao flavour. that's exactly what i (and my husband) like, so we've stopped looking at others.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Wow, you're hardcore!

99% tastes like chalk to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mixed week for me. Didn't get in all the training I wanted to:
goal swim 3x: actual, 0
run 6x, actual 6
bike 3x, actual 0
home exercise 5x, actual 4x

So, I need help getting past this post-IM training funk I've been in. You all have permission to kick my butt if I don't do the following this week:
run 6x
swim 3x
bike 3x
home exercise 5x

Seriously, hold me accountable, because I'm clearly not doing that for myself. Once I figure out a spring marathon to sign up for, I think that will help. Without a commitment to a race, it feels like training in theory.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How Was Your Week: Dec. 12 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Without a commitment to a race, it feels like training in theory.

The phrase "training in theory" is neat :-)

Curious, what is "home exercise?" Weights, yoga, something else?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long history of foot, low back and shoulder injuries, so I'm all too familiar with the PT regime. I've found that as long as I stick to exercises that were prescribed as part of my previous PT regime to do at home, I do OK on the injury front. So I call them "home exercises." Focus is on pelvis stability, balance, and in the shoulder area, external rotators.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the dark chocolate tip. I had some 85% dark chocolate today and when I went to the pharmacy later, I didn't have any urge to buy candy there. :-) I did eat about 300 cal. of dark chocolate (a whole bar... where's the pink blushing emoticon) but that is healthier than starbursts.

MUCH appreciated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[

This is week 3 and I'm amazed at how well I've taken to being completely inactive!

LOL - I've had times when I've had to take up to a month off as well. And I'm with you. I miss it, but I could be a couch potato without much effort.

Good luck w/ the injury. Injuries suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Mixed week for me. Didn't get in all the training I wanted to:
goal swim 3x: actual, 0
run 6x, actual 6
bike 3x, actual 0
home exercise 5x, actual 4x

So, I need help getting past this post-IM training funk I've been in. You all have permission to kick my butt if I don't do the following this week:
run 6x
swim 3x
bike 3x
home exercise 5x

Seriously, hold me accountable, because I'm clearly not doing that for myself. Once I figure out a spring marathon to sign up for, I think that will help. Without a commitment to a race, it feels like training in theory.

So when was your IM? Maybe you need some down time. Maybe you need to work back up to doing 12 workouts a week. What's your next goal? That always gives me a time frame of when I need to really start training. Maybe a spring tri or marathon?

Let us know how this week goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
and in the shoulder area, external rotators.

I do a lot of the same exercises.
Do you do anything for external rotators aside from the good old boring exterally rotate with a resistance band?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought some freeze-dried fruit for a snack today if/when I get sugar cravings :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also do scapula "lifts" and some other non-external rotator stuff. USA Swimming has a good maintenance routine:

http://www.usaswimming.org/...d=702&ItemId=700

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4th swim done this morning and it was awesome.

Math dept Christmas party later :-) I planned it and I am excited.

Quote Reply