Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cross-fitter shuts down post office
Quote | Reply
http://www.mercurynews.com/...rea-news/ci_19440928

Word to the wise: Maybe it's not the smartest thing to jog in what looks like a gas mask and body armor, and then jam a package in a post office box.
It could touch off what happened Tuesday at the busy San Jose post office on Lundy Avenue: a full-scale police response, complete with the bomb squad and a robot.
But San Jose police said the suspicious-looking jogger seen fidgeting with a package at a drop-off box was only working out in hard-core, albeit odd-looking, exercise gear.
"The guy said he was wearing a cardio mask," said Sgt. Jason Dwyer. "It was his cardio day, and he was trying to lose weight."
That's not what a post office customer thought when the man in the weird mask and vest was stuffing a package in a blue mail box about 12:30 p.m. The customer called police, and in a flash, the post office was on lockdown until 4:30 p.m., with 150 employees and customers tucked away in the back. The San Jose police bomb squad, the Fire Department's hazardous materials unit and the postal inspector descended on a normally quiet strip of North San Jose. A robot detonated the package, which turned out, police said, to be a bunch of calendars.
"My friends kept messaging me, Is this you? Is this you?" recounted Long Hoang, who lives near the post office and is a student at Cal State East Bay in Hayward.
It was.
About 12 weeks ago, Hoang became an avid follower of the CrossFit exercise regimen, which he said, exuberantly,

combines "this really creative combination of weight lifting, gymnastics and rowing." He wears the mask to simulate high-altitude training. Hoang, who is 5 feet 4 inches, said he's lost at least 20 pounds, and is now 142 pounds.
Many neighbors in the area frequently spot him running in his gear, doing squats and lunges at corners while he waits for the light to turn green.
As Hoang tells the story, he mistakenly received a package of calendars at his home, and thought he'd mail them back to the proper recipient while on an exercise run. The package didn't fit the first time in the mail box, he said, so he had to fold it up and try a second time.
When Hoang later realized his actions had caused such a commotion, captured by this newspaper and many other media organizations, he called police Tuesday evening to say the suspicious man was him: a nursing student trying to get into shape.
Police said Hoang's story checked out.
Hoang said he can't really see what all the fuss was about.
"It was like straight out of a movie," he said. "Some of my friends are telling me, 'Hello? 9/11? Anthrax? Blah. Blah. Blah.' And I'm just thinking about my finals and staying in my own little zone."
Still, Hoang says he won't be jogging to the post office any time soon.

Quote Reply
Re: Cross-fitter shuts down post office [Hokiebird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was wearing a freaking gas mask to simulate high altitude?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's a nursing student. I hope I never end up anywhere that he's a nurse.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross-fitter shuts down post office [Hubblesmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hubblesmith wrote:

Sounds like he had something like this.

http://www.mmafactory.com.au/...on%20Training%20Mask

That would look like a gas mask to many/most?

Only 139.99 plus taxes shipping and handling.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross-fitter shuts down post office [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn that things looks crazy.

This asshat should have been arrested for aggravated grand douchebagery for thinking that thing will enhance his VO2 max.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Hubblesmith wrote:

I just scoffed out loud.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross-fitter shuts down post office [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xraycharlie wrote:
patf wrote:
Hubblesmith wrote:

I just scoffed out loud.

I might say something like a fool and his money are soon parted,but who knows, perhaps this works. Besides there has to be a few people around where who have bought one of these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's supposed to simulate altitude training. I don't know much about it, but to the best of my knowledge, oxygen deprivation tents are more effective. If this guy was doing it "to lose weight," then its a terrible idea. Its benefits have more to do with increasing running fitness than burning calories.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Cross-fitter shuts down post office [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect its primary benefit is to provide entertainment for his neighbors. Seriously, if you saw him run by in that, you'd bust a seam laughing. I'd just figure it was a local on his way to or from the daily protests/riots.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross-fitter shuts down post office [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone mentioned in the thread on the other forum. Its supposed to be train low sleep high, not sleep low train high, Although he may be high anyways thinking this would actually help.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross-fitter shuts down post office [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats crossfitters for ya, f-ing meathead morons (but could kick my ass)

Oh, and how in the name of everything holy are there 150 postal employees at 1 location? No wondering they're negative $10B this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross-fitter shuts down post office [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was in San Jose, if it was a bigger post office i could see that. Its not like its 150 clerks up front, but you have passport people, drivers, package sorters, loaders and probably 57 managers but still.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
Thats crossfitters for ya, f-ing meathead morons (but could kick my ass)

Oh, and how in the name of everything holy are there 150 postal employees at 1 location? No wondering they're negative $10B this year.

Same could be said for triathletes and all the crazy/stupid ass sh!t we buy/wear/use.
Although that mask is much worse than anything I can think of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Its not like its 150 clerks up front, but you have passport people, drivers, package sorters, loaders and probably 57 managers but still.

More likely there were two clerks up front. The other 148 were on break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
It was in San Jose, if it was a bigger post office i could see that. Its not like its 150 clerks up front, but you have passport people, drivers, package sorters, loaders and probably 57 managers but still.

Check it out on Google maps. That's one of the regional bulk mail facilities. Pretty decent sized facility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is one of the regional distribution centers. I work right down the street from it. It takes up pretty much the entire block. Given it's size, the number of big rigs and delivery trucks coming and going, 150 employees seems kind of low to me.

I've seen this guy running around the business park where I work. In addition to the mask, he wears some sort of tactical vest or weight vest that could easily be mistaken for a bomb vest.

And although he claims he was out running, what he does in his high tops trainers really would be classified more as jogging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow
Quote Reply
Re: Cross-fitter shuts down post office [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Same could be said for triathletes and all the crazy/stupid ass sh!t we buy/wear/use.
Although that mask is much worse than anything I can think of.

I think cross fitters and triathletes SAY they do all of these bizarre things for training, bit they're really doing it for attention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
...Long Hoang...

That spelling of his last name is pronounced "wang".

Long Wang! Awesome.

Edit: Now I'm wondering if this is all an elaborate joke by some STer to discredit CF.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Dec 2, 11 16:32
Quote Reply