Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I have a confession...
Quote | Reply
I'm afraid to go too fast on my bike. I have horrible flashbacks to wrecking when I was a kid... And I know it's all mental! Anyone else struggle with this issue, and what did you do to get over it?

I'm here to race- myself and you.
Quote Reply
Re: I have a confession... [Marathongrl6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could remember when I was a kid!!
Quote Reply
Re: I have a confession... [rbishop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No flashbacks to a fall, but I don't like being out of control on my bike.

How much time do you spend on your bike. I've improved the more time I ride.
IMHO - (I'm not a psychiatrist) Start slow, and just get used to it. As you feel ok at that speed, increase a little at a time. Not on one ride, but over months. If you can't do it by yourself, think of getting a coach or a sports psych person to help you w/ this.

good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't stop riding!

I completely lost my nerve after two nasty crashes this summer (stitches, broken hand, concussion) and had a really hard time with group rides and road races after that. It just takes time. Just keep riding, especially with other riders you trust, and over time you'll just naturally get more comfortable.

If your bike feels too twitchy or uncontrollable (ie you have a hard time riding in a straight line, or you feel off balance in corners) you may want to look into your bike fit because this could also be partially to blame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it would be very helpful to you if you could take a basic skills course. Become more comfortable on the bike overall and that should help.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ride with people you trust. Have someone ride next to you and talk you through what you need to be thinking about.

THEN. Find a fast group you want to hang on to. You'll be so worried about getting dropped you won't think about how fast you are going.
Quote Reply
Re: I have a confession... [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of your responses. I'm a MOP biker, who just upgraded my whole ride. Im spending ALOT of time on the trainer and building my endurance. Come Spring, when Northeast Ohio finally thaws out, I have a few good riding groups. I plan on just relaxing into it.

I'm here to race- myself and you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velodrome! If you don't go fast enough, you'll tip over :-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: I have a confession... [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I've wrecked my bike twice in the last year. Once with broken bones and a concussion but riding my bike is still worth it!!! Just think of how much fun you have and you drive a car even though there is a risk of a wreck :) Enjoy it.
Quote Reply