Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Winter Gloves for Raynauds Disease?
Quote | Reply
I have Raynaud's Disease which effects my fingers the most. Any suggestions on the best gloves for Northeastern US? I have used the nike run gloves, but they are not warm enough. I even started wearing a latex glove as a liner, but still doesn't work that well. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Winter Gloves for Raynauds Disease? [gnewton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have it too. Sometimes there is no stopping it. Remember that it is an irrational reaction by your body. I find that really cold is not as bad as sort of cold. Wet is the worst. 60 degrees and raining is a sure thing, 30 degrees and dry is not so bad.

Anyway. I have windstopper fleece gloves that I wear until it is about 50. Below that, or if there is rain, I put on gauntlet style mountaineering gloves over the windstoppers. Mine are marmots. That seems to work the best. But some days I get to work and cant type for a while.

You can always pop an asprin. That sometimes helps.

t

My Blog:
http://www.staggerforwardrejoicing.com
Ultrarunning & Parenting: There is no finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to hear some tips on this too because I have the same problem. I have at least found that a thin layer of a petrolatum product like Bag Balm followed by a thin polypro liner and then a thicker glove is helpful. Not perfect but at least an improvement. I have also placed a small amount of warming embrocation on the back of my hands but you really don't want to get that in your eyes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont have that particular disease....but I did just purchase some NorthFace Flight Series running gloves/mits last week. I have always had problems with cold hands. I ran outside on Sunday it was 20 F outside and my hands were sweating. They dont look like much but i was seriously impressed. They are the type that are gloves and have the mit thing that goes over top.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Nike run gloves aren't enough for me either (2nd order RD here). I just got some Saucony gloves that have a windbreaker mittenpart that I'm going to try out as soon as soon as it gets cold enough here in Chicago (should be soon). I'll report back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm up in Maine and have had a great experience with Descente's Wombat glove in cold weather. I've found that it works best for me from about 20* to 40* (at an endurance-type riding intensity). A bonus is that it's got a pocket on the back of the glove that stores an attached finger "hoodie" that acts as a windshield for your fingers at lower temperatures. When not in use, it tucks easily and neatly into the pocket. I've found sizing true-to-size, durability is very good, they aren't very bulky and they have an elastic wrist that seals nicey around all of my riding jacket cuffs. You can find them at a variety of online shops at significant discounts:

http://www.backcountry.com/descente-wombat-glove

Another review of the gloves:

http://www.commuterdude.com/...e-wombat-gloves.html

Also, in truely cold conditions those small, disposable chemically activated handwarmers work wonders. http://www.amazon.com/...02M802/dp/B003DQELD0 Just activate them and slip them in between the glove and the back of your hand.

If that doesn't work, time to go to the gym!
Last edited by: Maineiac: Nov 22, 11 17:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever heard of Gorgonz gloves? They may help.

http://www.palmflex.com/...0-exhale-gloves.html

Worth a try for $9.99

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too suffer from it and have tried many pairs of gloves which do not work. Double, single, lined, latex and rubber before, hand warming pads and all the rest are a waste of money. Ski gloves alone don't help on runs or rides so I wear a pair covered by Bar Mitt/Pogies type coverings while riding and the treadmill while running.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. I may give them a shot. I was also looking at the Grandoe Uptown Mit. I'm ordering a 40 hand warmer packs as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Winter Gloves for Raynauds Disease? [prajna101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that I think about it, you're right about the rain/dampness, it really makes it come on faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride with the Pearl Izumi AmFIB gloves. Relatively inexpensive and have always kept my fingers warm. My rough spot is my toes, outside of using chemical warmers I haven't found a solid solution for anything below 40 degrees.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Best Winter Gloves for Raynauds Disease? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may try those as some of the other ones suggested, I couldn't find available. I was looking at some lobster ones. Anyone use them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gloves don't work. You need mittens.

Edit: If you are talking about cycling, use the lobster claws
Last edited by: JoeO: Nov 22, 11 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Best Winter Gloves for Raynauds Disease? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:

+1 on mittens.

Lobster claws aren't warm enough on the bike for me, so I use Black Diamond's Mercury Mitten. It has a trigger finger, which works fine for shifting. Yeah, I look ridiculous with mountaineering mittens on my road bike, but it keeps the white-as-a-dead-guy fingers away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not an answer to your question but this thread might interest you.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...s%20disease;#2283688

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife thinks she has solved her raynaud's with a pair of Glacier Gloves (the cycling ones although I think they are all the same). She wears a thin liner underneath.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YES! This is it :-) After about 15 years of Raynaud's, and moving from Texas to Colorado, I finally figured out that gloves do not work for me (unless it's over 55 degrees). I got some gore-tex mittens with fleece liners, and even the fleece liner mittens work better for me than the thickest running gloves I had. Another tip -- make sure you put your mittens on before you step outside. I have to wear them if it's below 60, and will still get Raynaud's symptoms after I run, even in my 68-70-degree house :-( I also have those hand-warmer packs on standby, to stuff in the mittens. Have used those for marathons.

Good luck ... I now get symptoms even in the summer when I go to the grocery store and handle refrigerated or frozen stuff. $%&#@!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. I have the same problem. The issue with most gloves/mitts that are warm enough is that they wet out from sweat during a long ride or run and then they're worthless.

For running, the best solution I've found is cheap Ragg Wool Mitts (below 40F) and Gloves (above 40F). Wool absorbs much more moisture than synthetic materials before they get too wet to be warm. I also carry a pair of these:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/...7&products_id=51

They wad up to stuff into a pocket when not used. I put them over the wool mitts/gloves if it's raining, extremely windy, and/or way below freezing. I don't wear the overmitt unless I absolutely need them, as it does limit the breathability of the wool liner and causes it to accumulate moisture more quickly.

For short runs up to almost an hour, the wool is Ok to use in the rain by itself. It will get wet, but won't get cold until after the run is over.

The combination of the Wool mitt/glove and the overmitt works for runs up to three hours, even in the worst weather. If you need to go even longer, swap out the inner mitt/glove with a fresh pair.

Stay warm.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 points:
- mittens best for the hands. I've even ridden my tri bike with snowboard mittens
- keep the arms warm, keep the body warm. As your core temperature cools the body shuts off the extremities. Keep your core cooking, via singlets, thermals, etc and you'll notice your fingers don't get as cold. I've done experiments with lots of body cover, and arm cover - arm warmers, with a long sleeve jersey, but minimal gloves and I had less finger pain than I did with light body cover, no arm warmers and ski mittens.
I also have the Assoss 3 glove system, which is OK at best
Quote Reply
Re: Best Winter Gloves for Raynauds Disease? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
I feel your pain. I have the same problem. The issue with most gloves/mitts that are warm enough is that they wet out from sweat during a long ride or run and then they're worthless.
Use a vapor barrier liner (cheap example: latex medical gloves) and you won't have that problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thoughts.....

1) Specialized Radiant's + latex glove (have to drain sweat out occasionally by sticking arms in the air)

2) Neoprene Cold Working gloves (close fit) with Windstopper glove over the top (have to drain sweat out occasionally by sticking arms in the air)

3) Sealskinz Winter Cycling Gloves (these babies withstood rain in in 35-37 degs in northern UK) - bombproof with water barrier and wind barrier and fleece liner

Regards

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:

For biking or xcski I use lobster claws with asos winstopper glove covers over that.

If I am just running I juse mittens and if is really cold(sub zero F or high wind) I use magic glove mittens with ski mittens over that.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gnewton wrote:
I have Raynaud's Disease which effects my fingers the most. Any suggestions on the best gloves for Northeastern US? I have used the nike run gloves, but they are not warm enough. I even started wearing a latex glove as a liner, but still doesn't work that well. Thanks.

I have Raynauds, and I've found that the secret is NOT the gloves, but the handwarmers. Gloves or mittens work by capturing the heat your hands generate -- when I have a Raynauds attack, my hands don't generate any heat, and so the warmest mittens in the world won't accomplish anything unless they've got a heat source to work with.

When it gets 50 degrees or below, I wear convertable mittens like these from Saucony, and tuck "Little Hotties" disposable handwarmers in the mitten pockets (under my fingers). You can get a box of 40 for ~$30, and reuse each pair for 2-3 runs (tuck in an airtight baggie right after your run).

I also buy bags of boy's cotton crew socks at Target; when temps drop below 40, I wear the socks on my hands over the mitten/handwarmers. Works like a charm. I look a bit silly, but I really don't care. And, if my hands start getting too warm, I can toss the socks without too much regret.

This has worked for me down to about 20 degrees.
Last edited by: darkwave: Nov 23, 11 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Best Winter Gloves for Raynauds Disease? [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me too - gone through a lot of $ and BS trying gloves of all types and found salvation in mittens - sometimes even thinner ones to prevent sweating. Experiment to find the balance for different temps. So happy now - no more being pissed after spending $100-$200 on pair of gloves being sold as the "the warmest" - "keeps any hand warm" and only wearing them once .
Quote Reply
Re: Best Winter Gloves for Raynauds Disease? [goaheadjump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do the goretex mitten shell and then a variety of liners depending on the temperature, ranging from very thin gloves to fleece mitten liners. A feature of this is that if I start to get too warm either as I get going or due to the temperature going up I can just remove the shells. Once I get to the point that I need the shells, I'm more than happy to trade the loss of dexterity when shifting (the only difference I notice between mittens/gloves) for having comfy hands. It's not that tricky to shift with the mittens on.

I've never had to, but throwing a heating pad in between the shells and the liner would up the toasty level considerably.

Also, (and I'm not sure how this would work for people with Raynauds) but for rainy rides I wear neoprene gloves. Your hands are moist from the sweat, but they stay warm, and have excellent grip:

http://www.llbean.com/...page=neoprene-gloves
Quote Reply

Prev Next