Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$10k AG prizes money one lucky take all
Quote | Reply
Has a small Half "iron" RD, in Florida i can't compete with the Big boy's, so here what i am willing to do, i know some will say it is a no brainer,but easier said than done, i would like your thoughts.

my goal is to get 1000 racers ( 2011 was 350), if i get 1000 people to sign up, i would give away $10k to one lucky athlete, drawing at the race,

your 2 cents.

the race is the Gator Half and Olympic, on March 25 2012, the price of the Half is currently $145, Olympic is $85
www.gatorhalftriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: $10k AG prizes money one lucky take all [thierry64] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is a half iron distance race held in malaysia each year and it is fairly successful. there is no pro division.
the prize purses run 8 deep for each age group, though they split the AGs into 20-29, 30-39, 40-49. 50+

i'd take your 10k and divide it up into AG cash prizes.

much more enticing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it sounds awesome!

However, given the litigious society we live in my gut tells me the word 'fair' or 'rigged' might come up. When I heard that not only there was a person so ridiculous to sue an RD for a course that was a bit shorter than advertised, but that there was a toilet bug attorney willing to pursue it I about died.

Not trying to ruin your day, but would hate to see something like that come upon you w/o having at least pondered protecting yourself. Good luck and I hope it all comes together for you!

Great idea above about perhaps putting it across the AG's as that will most likely draw more of a crowd.

Keep us posted!
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Nov 17, 11 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: $10k AG prizes money one lucky take all [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
footwerx wrote:
there is a half iron distance race held in malaysia each year and it is fairly successful. there is no pro division.
the prize purses run 8 deep for each age group, though they split the AGs into 20-29, 30-39, 40-49. 50+

i'd take your 10k and divide it up into AG cash prizes.

much more enticing.

I think this is a much better idea. Also add in, average swimmer/ biker/runner i.e. who ever is in the dead middle of the race gets x amount. Then also have random drawings for everyone who didn't win. If you spread it out you're much more likely to have people show up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see what they are saying about the multiple prizes, but I'm not sure I agree.

I think the prizes need to be BIG to be a real incentive. Face it, your races aren't all that expensive, so you are, in effect, already giving EVERYONE a small prize, but that didn't give you the draw which you desired. That said, anything over $500, and certainly $1,000 is big. As long as you don't slice it smaller than that.

I do like the idea of all competitors having a chance at the prize(s), but it is a race, so I also like the idea of providing motivation for higher finishes. If you go with the grand prize idea, you could give all finishers a chance at the prize, but award extra chances for top finishers. (Everyone gets their name in the drawing one time, but finish first in your age group and your name gets put in 5 more times, second, 4, etc. or some such...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He'd probably run up against the sanctioning rule that if you have more than $5k in prize money it can only go to people holding an elite license, or something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: $10k AG prizes money one lucky take all [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that is the case a 5K prize and 5K donated to the winners charity of choice.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: $10k AG prizes money one lucky take all [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Human Fund, Money for People
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Work with a local bike shop to give away race wheels, and a bike as a post race raffle, have to be present to win at awards so people stick around and have fun. They can get them at employee purchase for you or maybe less, then have $4999 in age group prize money, paying 1000/600/400/300/200 to each sex. Also reach out to elites in your area and offer them a free entry, as long as they bring 2-3 friends with them. People will look at results after the race and will want to come if competition is strong. Give your local clubs a 15% discount on entries. Use some money to have really good post race food and some beer. I've seen this similar model work for a couple of races. You can't just buy participants, you have to create the value and excitement to make them want to come. Offer these prizes in the half which will increase that participation, and spouses and friends that come along will sign up for the olympic.

MC
Quote Reply
Re: $10k AG prizes money one lucky take all [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wouldn't call it prize money but a "raffle", you know like winning a set of zipp wheels at the race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thing is you don't need to "compete" against the big boys. I'll take a smaller well done race over WTC any day partially because of the price and partially because of lack of BS. I specifically signed up for a race in oklahoma this year because the olympic website said "51.50 cent entry fee, take that WTC/Ironman". I didn't care it was an 10ish hour drive. I'm gonna support people that want to have good races at reasonable prices, I'm sure there are a lot of other people that feel the same way. If you're really trying to bump up the number of people, try to do something like a referal program. Lets say someone signs up for the race, if they get two more people to sign up they get 20 bucks off their entry fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like your idea - in my opinion, you have a much better chance of increasing participation by offering to give away one "big" prize than trying to split it up - and make it a random draw, not prize money.

It is the reason that slot machines and the lottery are so popular - everyone knows it is a poor decision on an expected value basis, but the potential (even though it is low probability for any one person) payoff is enough to get people to play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thierry64 wrote:
i wouldn't call it prize money but a "raffle", you know like winning a set of zipp wheels at the race

Be careful with "raffles" -- I am not from Florida but there are lots of state laws that provide very strict guidelines for raffles. You need to be very careful wit what you do and how you run the raffle. From a legal standpoint, I think you're much safer offering money as a prize. You can even offer it to the person who finishes in some random number position overall.

@kburnsgallagher
http://www.somerandomthursday.com
Quote Reply
Re: $10k AG prizes money one lucky take all [qwerty7000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the ads are pretty good 1/1000
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta agree with Grant and mchammer and add; prize money is a draw for FOP racers not MOP's and which of those two groups are going to fill up you race? I understand your desire to grow your race but a word of advice make sure you can execute 1000 people on your course, nothing would be worse than to get all those people out there and give them a bad experience. I would say create value for everyone, give out some good stuff in the goodie bag, have a raffle with some of that prize money, run a mens and womens elite wave and have them race for the dough, offer free entry into the following years race for each age group winner, hand out some sweet awards and go five deep, have plenty of volunteers and run a great race. One thing I noticed about MOP's at some local races where I live, they love getting a age group award, maybe go deeper than five.

Two races come to mind when I think of great value and experience TTT in Ohio and Muncie Endurathon -which is no longer.
Quote Reply
Re: $10k AG prizes money one lucky take all [spr-2-cus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my 1st half ironman, im gonna crush this race :-)

I would prefer a smaller race btw.. If your gonna throw money then give it to the top 3 overall. Or discount next years entry :)

I agree with above poster who says the quality of the race would drop if 1000 + people joined, I hope you would be prepared for this, the roads are not closed on the bike from what i've heard.

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Last edited by: SpeedOfCourse: Nov 17, 11 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think a single large prize will help you with sign ups at all. It's not a big incentive for most people. Age group prizes for 1st through x and S/B/R bonuses would work better.

Schwaggle type offers of 2 for 1 or a percentage off help with sign ups.

Your website needs photos and video of the course. It also needs testimonials from people that have done the race. Do you have past race results on the website?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe this isn't the forum for it but I did the race last year thierry and thought it was a great venue and great time of year. I would return again with or without the 10 grand but it would certainly increase my willingness to do it again!
words gotten round about the run being short though and i know alot of folks I know take that into consideration when thinking of signing up for it.
good work though. love the bike route no drafting great transition area.....
good stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: $10k AG prizes money one lucky take all [libbyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Libbyb, i changed the location for 2012, to make better run course, out and back, we promise to be better every year,
Quote Reply
Re: $10k AG prizes money one lucky take all [spr-2-cus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muncie endurathon was my first half in 1993, and the Gator Half is the same style event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where is the like button?

Push your Passion!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get one of those giant Lottery ball things and have the prize selection at the end of the awards presentation. Each ball representing a finishing place of the Half and Olympic races. Make it a "Must be present to claim prize".

Would generate more people to cheer on the podium finishers and keep the early winners from running off with their trophy.

Brett Miller
Cydesdale Triathlon
M2 Revolution
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in.
Quote Reply
Re: $10k AG prizes money one lucky take all [deacon42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i like that, let me see if can get one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After the race, I think 99.9% of people would have preferred not to have paid $10 extra just to have that money re-distributed to one person. AG cash prizes would do better IMO, and make sure you offer substantial overall prizes as well.

You likely won't have to pay 3 deep in every age group. Categories like 18&u girls, maybe 18-24 women,, and 55+ men and women may not have a full podium. Personally, I think AG payouts are a little silly (do the math to make sure someone couldn't get totally boned on the money after having a really good race. Perhaps you could pay more to the top-10 or so, and break up cash awards for AG'ers into larger age brackets. It wouldn't be fair to simply split the field into decades--I'd probably split the field into quintiles by age (ex. 20% of field is under 28, 20% 29-34, 20% from 35-39, 20% from 40-44, and 20% older than 44. This would cut down on the prizes paid to age groupers, and pay more to the overall people. It all depends on who you're trying to keep happy I guess.

I tweet!

Quote Reply

Prev Next