Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aero bars on group rides...
Quote | Reply
This video is a good reason why a lot of roadies get bent out of shape about aero bars on group rides. Some people just can't be smart enough to stay off them...

Quote Reply
Re: Aero bars on group rides... [NateC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I laughed.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bars on group rides... [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did too. It's beyond me why he wasn't able to save it. Why did he go off the road in the first place? Just grab the rear brake and ride straight until it stops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because his front wheel was destroyed by the quick release.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bars on group rides... [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This video is much funnier.

http://biertijd.com/...player/?itemid=30018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I saw that part, but it has no bearing on his poor choice to ride it off the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to control a bike at 30mph that suddenly has fewer spokes than it's supposed to.

ETA: If I know I'm going to crash in my experience it's better to do it off-road.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Nov 16, 11 15:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NateC wrote:
Yes. I saw that part, but it has no bearing on his poor choice to ride it off the road.

If only a Slowtwitch thread existed where we could evaluate the guy's judgement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
NateC wrote:

If only a Slowtwitch thread existed where we could evaluate the guy's judgement.

if only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least he shaves

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NateC wrote:

Did you see how easily his front wheel collapsed when it hit that chunk of grass on the side of the road? How responsive do you think that wheel was at that point?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bars on group rides... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen this happen in crits and had it happen once. If you stand the bike up straight and get on the back brake, you don't need "responsiveness" you just need to be calm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out this thread, it's clear based on the video that the guy exercises piss-poor judgement.

This would also be a good time for a facepalm picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I must be having a dense day. You linked back to this thread, but I'm guessing this was posted before?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he is lucky he didn't crash on the road, he would have taken out the guy with the head cam,

never never never be in the aero position in a group, that is rule # 1, for triathletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NateC wrote:
I've seen this happen in crits and had it happen once. If you stand the bike up straight and get on the back brake, you don't need "responsiveness" you just need to be calm.

His momentum was taking him to side of the road. If he was gonna correct that direction, he would need "responsiveness." Not to mention that the guy doesn't look like the kind of guy that has ridden a bunch of crits. Surviving situations like that is an acquired skillset.

Guy was clearly an idiot for overlapping wheels and using aero bars in a pace line. No disputing that......but the reality is that he did a pretty good job of keeping the bike upright until he hit the clump of grass.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking for something original to discuss, you could always post a link to the video of the Ford Expedition that turns into the parking lot and cuts off the triathlete during the race... /pink

This is about on the same level of repost failure as the Chopper Reid thread that popped up a couple days ago. HTFU ST, and learn how to use the search button!

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about this thread as additional reasons not to ride in the aero bars in a pace line.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...g=m%20ernst;#3516619
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
This video is much funnier.

http://biertijd.com/...player/?itemid=30018
+ juan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
I laughed.

me too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
It's hard to control a bike at 30mph that suddenly has fewer spokes than it's supposed to.

ETA: If I know I'm going to crash in my experience it's better to do it off-road.

Watch it again. They weren't doing 30mph. Maybe 20. Look at their gearing and cadence.

Still he had some spoke removed.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bars on group rides... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The speed is mostly irrelevant when you lose spokes. I was just going along w/ the title of the video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
The speed is mostly irrelevant when you lose spokes. I was just going along w/ the title of the video.

That was quick.

I wasn't getting on you about it. You're just the one who wrote 30mph so I quoted it. Please forgive?

At least it was the guy who fouled that ended up on the ground. I don't like to see any rider go down, but this situation seems fair enough.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bars on group rides... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My evenings are spent watching TV with my laptop in my lap so I can usually respond pretty quickly haha. I'm currently training really hard at being lazy.

Agreed about the one that messed up luckily being the only one that bit it.

Threads like this push my buttons b/c people assume that aero bars = sketchy rider. While in many cases this is true, it's an unfair generalization. I generally judge if a rider is sketchy by seeing how well he (or she) follows the rules. That's a much better way to pre-judge than to simply look at their bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero bars on group rides... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like he used his front brake on the dirt. That was the really big mistake, one he probably won't repeat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next