Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
LetsRun.com on Lukas Verzbicas
Quote | Reply

as usual the wannabe running news site spouts out more garbage and triathlon hate.

verzbicas could keep playing in the shallow american running field or step up the game and become the next allastair brownlee. hmm looks like he made the right move.
Last edited by: SeasonsChange: Nov 11, 11 18:44
Quote Reply
Re: LetsRun.com you fail [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon = a sport where even the hard core followers don't know the proper name of its fastest athlete.

Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
as usual the wannabe running news site

I don't know that LetsRun is a wannabe running news site as they're usually one of the 1st to the table to report the news. The forum is loaded w/ all sorts of nonsense, but arguably no more/less than what's posted here.

SeasonsChange wrote:
spouts out more garbage and triathlon hate.
I'm not sure how that's triathlon hate as it's a quote directly from Verzbicas.

SeasonsChange wrote:
verzbicas could keep playing in the shallow american running field or step up the game and become the next allastair brownlee. hmm looks like he made the right move.
Although I disagree w/ the timing of his decision & don't want to get into a debate over whether he should/shouldn't have left....to say that he could keep playing in the shallow american running field or step up the game, is hardly the case...actually quite the opposite.

Today he has the ability to be competitive as a professional triathlete.

Today he's not even the top 3 on his collegiate xc team.

So you tell me if there's more depth in triathlon or in that shallow american running field?
---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: LetsRun.com on Lukas Verzbicas [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LV can't swim. If you can't swim you can't ride with the main pack. If you can't ride with the main pack you won't be in the mix on the run.
LV won't be in the mix on the run.
LV will be riding alone the lead pack will be working together. Not saying they aren't working as hard, just saying they'll be faster on the same effort. They will gain more time on LV.
LV will be behind someone that ran 29 for a 10k. Even if he's with the main pack, when he won junior champs this year he ran 15:33 for 5k, double that and you get 31 for 10k.
LV may be great with the boys, but he has a lot of work to do to race with the men.

And as for the quote, I'm sure anyone that just got a tour of the Oregon running scene would have a stronger passion for running than they would triathlon at that point. How often do you think while watching Kona that you want to go out for a run or ride? Same idea here.
Although the sub text with the quote was a low blow I wouldn't expect anything different from the brojos.
Quote Reply
Re: LetsRun.com on Lukas Verzbicas [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
LV can't swim.

I can totally see your point from Junior ITU worlds in sept

http://athlinks.com/...&courseid=250404

I mean golly 11 seconds off the first place swimmer is pretty much flopping around like a baby seal.

Can he sit in the main pack right now? Maybe maybe not, depends who is racing and how hard they are pushing. But saying he can't swim is asinine. But i'm sure you swim sub 18s right now so its all good right?
Quote Reply
Re: LetsRun.com on Lukas Verzbicas [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get over it SeasonsChange. It's his own words. Unlike ST where only a couple of pros hop on to post (well, mostly just Jordan) dozens of current and former world class athletes and their coaches mix it up with the idiot high school or college punk, or troll. You might not like it, but their portrayal of triathletes is typically pretty close in my opinion. I read the posts here, and there, and in terms of acquiring knowledge about endurance sports ST is not even in the same league. Sorry, that's my opinion and you will have an impossible time convincing me otherwise.

As someone their pointed out, LV is apparently trading in a college career for a shot at the Olympics. That's fine, but in the end probably misguided, but it's his choice.

As you might not like it SeasonsChange, but an Olympic medal in triathlon is about as meaningful as a gold in the Modern Pentathlon. It in no way, shape, or form does it equate to a gold in the 5000, or 1500 or 10000 or marathon. But that's his choice. I doubt he ever makes the team actually. But, we'll see, won't we?
Last edited by: Green Barf: Nov 11, 11 20:05
Quote Reply
Re: LetsRun.com on Lukas Verzbicas [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Green Barf wrote:
. I doubt he ever makes the team actually. But, we'll see, won't we?

Verzbicas is like the Tebow of Tris now. Geez, you guys are ready to say he wont amount to anything after he wins the world junior champs 2 months ago.
Last edited by: Grant.Reuter: Nov 11, 11 20:07
Quote Reply
Re: LetsRun.com on Lukas Verzbicas [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For his sake, let's hope he isn't the Tebow of tris. Tebow is flat out the worst starting QB in quite some time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Verzbicas is like the Tebow of Tris now.

You nailed it.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Last edited by: Paulo Sousa: Nov 11, 11 20:12
Quote Reply
Re: LetsRun.com on Lukas Verzbicas [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yes, I forgot that we have a world class coach who graces us all with his wisdom. Geesh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading some of the comments on ST already it reminds me when people saw Taylor Phinney winning at a young age, and the next thing people were saying; "he's the next Lance at the TdF". Hell, we have people already saying he's our best top hopeful for 2012, and he likely cant even garner enough points to even be in the conversation. The amount of pressure he's going to face is going to be unreal.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And he's played 4 games maybe he gets better maybe he doesn't. But damn Verzbicas has got 4th at junior worlds and 1st at Junior worlds, and you think he'll never make the olympics? Do you hate him because he's good or do you think our Pro US team is just THAT good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if he does or not, but my point is "who cares?" He had a shot a making it as a runner, which would be a much bigger deal than making it in curling, or equestrian, or triathlon. But he apparently isn't patient enough to let himself develop, which makes me wonder if he has the character to overcome injuries, adversity, and all the other things that the current crop of top US pros have. We'll see.
Quote Reply
Re: LetsRun.com on Lukas Verzbicas [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what hes gonna do, he may crash and burn. Kirsty McWilliam could never really come back after she won juniors 2008 in vancouver and I don't think she is even racing anymore. But hes still got 5 years he can race U23. After he starts building that experience then it will be a lot better indication of how he is going to do it the WCS series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigger deal to who? You? Maybe he doesn't care how "big of a deal" running is compared to tris to some people. Just a thought here, maybe he wants to do what he loves to do and he determined running in college wasn't that. He's only 18 its not like he would be the first 18 year old in the world to change his mind on what he wanted to do. If he wants to be a triathlete and not a runner so be it. He doesn't have to want to make it as a runner just because he was good at it. I don't know why people what to chastise the kid because he wants to do want he wants to not what a bunch of people who love running want him to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your acting like hes never raced at a high level before, but Lukas has been racing ITU juniors since he was young. Hes over came many injuries and has been under tons of pressure and he usually performs well. There was alot of pressure to win Junior worlds for him and for Kevin, and he ended up racing that race almost perfectly. He knows how to race triathlon, and is a more well rounded package than people give him credit for. He can swim, he was out of the water with the leaders in Beijing, and he still has room to improve. Saying he cant swim is just like when people where saying Lance wouldn't be able to swim. I wouldn't count him out of anything he puts his mind to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it really makes me suspicious when I see someone quit something simply because they are not top dog and struggling (which appears to be the case). I would love to know where his parents came in on this. Did they support him leaving? Did they try to convince him to finish what he started? No matter how you look at it, he got some bad advice - either at the beginning if he was encouraged to go to Oregon when his passion is triathlon, or now when he bailed on something he apparently very much wanted to do just a few months ago. Either way, I don't see how this choice shows his character.
Quote Reply
Re: LetsRun.com on Lukas Verzbicas [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

Verzbicas is like the Tebow of Tris now.

You nailed it.

WHAT. THE. BLEEP?
Paulo, stick to coaching, not comparing football players and runners/triathletes/whatever this kid does
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But the thing is no one knows besides him and the people who were close to him if he really was struggling. Maybe he just didn't like it, he didn't pick the best time to leave, but I have zero problems in him leaving if thats what he wanted to do. It has nothing to do with him finishing what he started, why would he go through 4 years of disliking what he was doing, if that was the case, when he can do something he wants to do. He made a decision, decided it was a bad one and changed his mind. Could he have picked a better time to leave, sure, but once again he's 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who quits on their team before regionals? I'm not talking 4 years. I'm talking finishing the season he started. What, he won't make the Olympics in tri if he runs at Oregon for 4 more weeks? Seriously?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just agreed with you and said it probably wasn't the best time, but once again he's 18 he could have everyone in the world tell him it was a dumb idea that doesn't mean an 18 year old will listen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Green Barf wrote:
Get over it SeasonsChange. It's his own words. Unlike ST where only a couple of pros hop on to post (well, mostly just Jordan) dozens of current and former world class athletes and their coaches mix it up with the idiot high school or college punk, or troll. You might not like it, but their portrayal of triathletes is typically pretty close in my opinion. I read the posts here, and there, and in terms of acquiring knowledge about endurance sports ST is not even in the same league. Sorry, that's my opinion and you will have an impossible time convincing me otherwise.

As someone their pointed out, LV is apparently trading in a college career for a shot at the Olympics. That's fine, but in the end probably misguided, but it's his choice.

As you might not like it SeasonsChange, but an Olympic medal in triathlon is about as meaningful as a gold in the Modern Pentathlon. It in no way, shape, or form does it equate to a gold in the 5000, or 1500 or 10000 or marathon. But that's his choice. I doubt he ever makes the team actually. But, we'll see, won't we?

Triathlon's getting more competitive by the day. I'd say that the gold medal in triathlon has a lot of worth and requires a ton of hard work to get there. While you might say it doesn't equate to the longer distance running events in terms of worth, I disagree. Having run competitively for 6 years I met many very successful, top level(at least region-wide) runners. Of those runners several admit that the training required in triathlon is about equal if not harder than the professional running scene. To compare my collegiate training schedule as a d1 athlete to triathlon; I ran about 60 miles a week with about an hour of strength. Maybe 10 hours total for the week. For triathlon that number is nearly double, and I would say the dedication needed is also more than running.

Now will Lukas make it? I don't know. I'm confident he will give it his best shot. I also would like to point out the example of Ryan Sissons, whom recently was named to New Zealand's olympic team, whose a similar age to Lukas. Ryan narrowly beat Kevin McDowell at the 2010 YOG. In 2009 Kevin and Lukas almost raced head to head at junior elite nationals, and if the course had been longer I believe Lukas would have easily caught Kevin on the run and built quite the gap. I personally believe he will do better at the olympic distance, but not without the obvious work required.

I also think it's nearly impossible to compare one ITU course to another, or one triathlon to another. Thereby I guess only time will tell what he is capable of. I also don't know if his current decision is ireversible. So if he doesn't make it in 2012 he may move back to running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe ...just maybe....running for 14 or so years day in and day out season after season has the kid worn down a little bit and he needs to step away for a bit. On a brighter note maybe he meets Paulo's criteria for a "elite" squad.

Re: LetsRun.com on Lukas Verzbicas [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just be shocked, shocked if that were the case. I needed a break from hockey after 4 years of high school before I started playing my second year in college
Quote Reply
Re: LetsRun.com on Lukas Verzbicas [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phinney has done pretty damn well so far...

BDoughtie wrote:
Reading some of the comments on ST already it reminds me when people saw Taylor Phinney winning at a young age, and the next thing people were saying; "he's the next Lance at the TdF". Hell, we have people already saying he's our best top hopeful for 2012, and he likely cant even garner enough points to even be in the conversation. The amount of pressure he's going to face is going to be unreal.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply

Prev Next