Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

help! gift ideas for niece
Quote | Reply
Sure that the wonderful ST women can help with this...my niece is 11 yrs old, I don't live near her and going to visit next week. I'd like to get her an awesome gift! all I know is she loves Lady Gaga and purple.
I am thinking back to the time when I was around that age and even then, my sister was considered 'cooler' I guess as my aunt gave my sis a Pat Benatar album and I got something I do not even remember. But I DO remember my sister got that and I got something crappy enough I do not even recall what it was...but the fact that I do remember my sister got that tells you something, besides me age!

I don't want to be 'that' aunt that gives like pjs or something. Oh and I know she hates Justin Bieber. Other than that, all I know. I don't have kids and so need a good idea. No like Itunes card or that, something she will love.

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: help! gift ideas for niece [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a Pat Benatar CD? Or Blondie?

Get her into the old school rocker chicks who paved the way for Lady Gaga.
Quote Reply
Re: help! gift ideas for niece [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea...if she doesn't love it I know my sister will! Seems like the 80s are cool. My older nephew is easy to buy for as he loves all the 80s music and thinks Journey is the best band in the world, ever.
Quote Reply
Re: help! gift ideas for niece [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am liking this idea more and more thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something from Lululemon in purple and an iTunes gift card.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purple tights or some colorful funky socks.
A pair of Pumas or Chucks. I'm sure one or the other has purple.
Clothes and a little bag. Target has great stuff.

Does she like to read? A kindle or nook or whichever one has library access.

A night out with just you two. Let her pick the restaurant.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: help! gift ideas for niece [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sparkle. Lady Gaga is all about creativity and sparkle! I think Madonna is the better way to go, as far as inspiration.

I'm here to race- myself and you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughters (age 18 and 20) love the old movies. Breakfast club, Ferris Bueller's day off, etc. You could make an 80's theme present?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the Lululemon suggestion -- you can't go wrong with Lulu!

http://www.runningwithdoggies.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't do night out as visit short...but I am just really loving and appreciating this input! I love lulu-sure she would too! think I will ask sister for shoe size as that is a great idea also.
I def don't want to get her an 'old aunt' gift but something cool. And is it bad that the Pat Benatar album is still in my head? WTF? My sister got that and I think I got some PJs. Some things that happen as a kid stick with you. I try to keep that in mind in everything I say when I talk to young people. The negatives tend to stick and I want to be a positive. Not just in gift giving, but some comments stay forever. (ok let's keep this thread positive!!!)

Also, yep she loves to read, but picky about what she reads.
In the past I thought-I'd love to give her the Little House on the Prairie series but-she already read those and loved them! I was like--yay!
If she liked those, I wonder if she'd also like James Herriot....but no, think will go with the purple lululemon and or/sneakers-what great ideas!
thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Some things that happen as a kid stick with you. I try to keep that in mind in everything I say when I talk to young people. The negatives tend to stick and I want to be a positive. Not just in gift giving, but some comments stay forever.

This is so true. And sometimes it's enough to just be there as the cool Auntie that isn't their mother.

You could also turn her on to the wonderfulness of coffee. :-)
(Really Katy...it was an accident! And it was Peets' fault!!!)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tunes gift card is the way to go. While adults like Lululemon, kids that age don't!!!! They don't like to wear anything that their mom does :) I'm not sure if she is old enough to think the '80s are cool. I think the idea of a kindle is a great one. I don't know how much money you want to spend but how about purple Uggs? Kids that age are wearing leggings, Uggs, sweatshirts, etc. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: help! gift ideas for niece [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmom1, how are you feeling?
Quote Reply
Re: help! gift ideas for niece [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not 100% but I ran (jogged) the marathon yesterday and finished!!! Turned into a sinus infection, started antibiotics Friday and cleared me right up. Thanks for asking :)
Quote Reply
Re: help! gift ideas for niece [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good News! I watched the marathon live on Universal. It was a great race and a beautiful day! Glad you were able to run it. Again, Good News!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iTunes gift card & Movie CD are common ideas. An 11 year old would love some sort of jewelry. A piece of small ornament will leave with her forever.

Quote Reply