Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anxiety meds?
Quote | Reply
Anyone here take meds for generalized anxiety? My psychologist thinks I might benefit from taking something along the lines of effexor, but the side effects look daunting to me. Anyone take this or other meds for anxiety, and if so, how do you deal with the side effects? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: anxiety meds? [slow_n_steady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone is different but I had an AWFUL time on effexor...I now take klonapin .5mg/2x a day...and really see a HUGE difference. I just feel...normal.I was worried that its habit forming, (its a benzo) but I have to actually remind myself to take it-never feel I NEED it. Doesn't make me tired, and I am still training no problem on it.
I am not a Dr, but my psychiatrist said he never uses effexor anymore (this was Rxd by my GP)
Quote Reply
Re: anxiety meds? [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Klonapin was another choice mentioned by the psychologist (couldn't remember which other one he said until you mentioned it here). Normal would be good to feel...not even sure what that feels like anymore. Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also-as I said everyone different-but-Ive noticed zero side effects, whereas had lots with effexor. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lexapro (and later Lexapro with Buspar or Wellbutrin) for GAD/OCD/Panic. Everyone differs, obviously, but Lex is usually pretty well tolerated, and the side effects are generally milder than with comparable SSRIs. It took me a while to adjust, and to find the right doseage (hint: start small and work up), but when I did, I felt "normal".

I have clonazepam (Klonopin) and lorazapam (Ativan) for acute attacks and "trigger" situations. I was using those as an additive, but I found I gradually had to keep bumping my dose, which I didn't want to do. Plus, I get some decent short term memory loss with them, so I prefer not to use them if I don't have to.

Right now, I am trying a period of no daily meds, and ONLY the klonopin for flares. We shall see how it works.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have been taking Lexapro & the like since March of last year (swapped over to Citalopram mid last year)...haven't really seen any side effects & it's really tolerable on my body. That said, I do seem to be sensitive to WHEN I take it...as in if I don't take it around or near the same time every day I start to notice it after about the second day. It always starts with my sleep getting disrupted & generally feeling "out of sorts" or cranky. I typically take it every morning & all seems well. As I'm ramping back into training mode it might be leaving me with a little more fatigue but nothing unmanageable with B-12 & daily multis & sleep management. Diet also plays a huge part of it all with me. I haven't really noticed the sex drive side-effects as much, though that seems to be one of the things that pops up more often from people.

I've never even tried any of the others since this one seemed to do the trick though, I'm not really a good sample subject! Effexor seems to me, though, to be one of the big boy meds in the classification with some hefty side effects. Guess it's a matter of the ends justifying the means...

AW

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion after being on effexor for nearly a decade and trying to go off it more than three times: do not take effexor unless there is absolutely no other medicine that will work for you. The withdrawl effects of the medicine are horrible--you have to be extremely regimented about when you take your medicine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lexapro, Ativan for panic attacks. No side effects from Lexapro. I DID have side effects (weight gain - felt "puffy" all the time) with Paxil.

I guess the only side effect I've had is decreased sex drive but that could be from birth control pills, too.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
before you go down the pharmaceutical route, have you tried st johns wort?

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/stjohnswort/

i'm not a doctor and have no expertise in the field, but when i first gave it a try i think i remember reading that the use of anti depressants and anti anxiety medication in the U.S. was so much higher than in other industrialized countries. st. johns wort is commonly used in europe with good results (i think i remember reading).

i've taken it for the last few years and really have noticed an improvement in anxiety. a lot of other stuff has also changed in my life, so i'm not sure where the true cause/effect balance rests.

personally, i was looking for any alternative to medications. it might be worth looking into.

as an fyi, it does interfere with hormonal based birth controls. make sure you look into that, too.

http://www.hooslisa.com
Quote Reply
Re: anxiety meds? [hooslisa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replied everyone. I am going to book an app't with my family doctor next week to discuss my options.

I have gone the St John's wort route, but it had little to no effect for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is a random, dork aside, but, the only other thing i will add is that if this is the first time you are going to see your GP about this, and the first time you've considered anti-anxiety medications, make sure you handle any insurance business you need to handle.

what i mean by that is that if you need to get, or make changes to, any independent disability insurance, life insurance, long term care or health insurance policies make them BEFORE there is mention of anti-anxiety medication in your medical records.

underwriting for these types of policies typically paints dep/anx meds with a pretty broad brush. they don't differentiate between a woman who needs a little help managing anxiety with someone who is more severely depressed. being on these types of things can have an immediate effect on your ability to maintaining the underwriting class you would have been otherwise. that is not to say you won't be approved, it will just cost you more.

http://www.hooslisa.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a few before I settled on Wellbutrin (Bupoprion). No sexual side effects (others made me either not interested, or have a very hard time orgasming). Wellbutrin has been shown to have not weight gain side effects, it's actually they opposite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's it going? did you ask about klonapin?

at first I was worried about taking it but really it has made such a positive change for me...then again, everyone is different and I hope it works for you.

Right now I am taking lamictil and klonapin and my Dr just added 'abilify' yesterday. Something that kinda raised a flag was she had a TON of samples in desk, gave me some, then thought, oh maybe give you another dose too, went into the hall and said--yes thought he was here! the abilify rep!---and gave me some more...

hmmmm....isnt that curious? day one on it. She said not like other antidepressants (actually not sure if it is?) but works within 3 days....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still waiting on my appointment with my doctor. She's been on holidays and I wanted to wait for her rather than see someone else in the office. I have talked extensively with my psychologist about the different meds and what I can expect from them. I have been making some inroads with cognitive therapy, but he still feels I could benefit from taking meds. I will see my doctor on Monday and get her opinion on it as well. Thanks for asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think she was just trying to save you some $ by giving you the samples. Per perscribing the med in the first place, that might be a red flag.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made a ton of progress with cognitive therapy but the meds help too. The meds allow the therapy to work better.

My mind works at light speed, and that is great EXCEPT when I get anxious. Meds keep the anxiety at bay but don't interfere with the good/fast intellectual stuff in my head.

Quote Reply
Re: anxiety meds? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She started me on Zoloft. we will see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck. Good for you for being open to trying it.

Quote Reply
Re: anxiety meds? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oooh I am not doing hot on Abilify. had no symptoms other than feeling well with klonapin and lamictil, this one has me in the fridge all the time, wicked headaches and super bitchy...its like perm PMS. I see Dr on Wed so will report that.

Good luck to everyone else---a friend of mine has been on zoloft for ages and is doing well. It's all individual, great to get opinions here, but remember its an experiment of One.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zoloft is a good starting point. It's a pretty cost effective SSRI without many withdrawal issues if/when you taper down, and will help curb mood and anxiety. Effexor isn't really a preferred choice for someone with a rigorous workout schedule. It's a great option for someone needing something a little more "activating". The BP increase and excess sweating are two main concerns, neither someone training for endurance activities would prefer. Take the Zoloft (sertraline) with breakfast initially and increase over 5-7 days if doc ordered. Give the med some time, and I hope everything works out for you. Benzodiazepines (Klonopin and Xanax) can be helpful for spikes, while the sertraline will help with a better baseline anxiety reduction. I'm a pharmacist not a doc, but if you have any med questions feel free to PM me.
Quote Reply
Re: anxiety meds? [Cgoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. Been taking the zoloft for 3 weeks now and so far so good. Had some side effects for the first 10 days or so, especially after I doubled the dose 6 days in....made me feel very wired and jittery, but that has since disappeared and I'm not noticing any side effects now. Right now I am just kind of waiting for it to kick in, which I understand takes 4-6 weeks, so hanging in waiting for that and continuing the cognitive therapy with my psychologist. Thanks for the support and input from everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been mostly lurking lately but saw your comment on Abilify and wanted to know how it's going. Disclosure: I'm not in the medical profession, just work in the child protective services courtroom in my area. The majority of our foster kiddos are on at least one psychotropic which (thankfully) the judge is really good about demanding justification for their medical necessity since overprescription is the national trend. Most of these meds have side effects, but we have seen a HUGE increase in side effects in those kids who have been switched to Abilify (seems to be the pill du jour). Many now need several prescriptions to negate the side effects-- and there is no significant difference in behavior. Just my 2 cents, but definitely listen to your gut.
Quote Reply