Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [brewerbry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brewerbry wrote:
I have been following your progress over the last months with great interest and can't wait for the wheels to hit the market.

I know you have been asked before if a powertap option is in the works and you have said it is a future project - have you considered selling the rim with an undrilled fairing to address people that want to add a powertap hub (maybe send it to Wheelbuilder to have them drill and lace it?) I am jus being impatient and want to have a powertap Flo wheel for 2012 race season!

Thanks and continued good luck-
Bryan

In the beginning we are not going to be selling rims. There are few reasons why...

1. We want to make sure we can keep up with production demands for our key products before offering others.
2. As a start up we want to take one step at a time. Getting our feet wet with our own products in the beginning is better than trying to do too much at once. Walk before you run kinda thing. It also lets us get a better handle on products quality control and let's us know what is in the market place.

I hope you understand,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:
Chris,

Can you help me out with the rolling resistance claim. Logically to me then the effective location of the force 'F' is going to be the midpoint of the contact patch, ie under the hub and therefore perpendicular to the movement. So the length of the patch is irrelevant.

In fact as it's now akin to being a short wheelbase compared to a long wheelbase then there's going to be more vertical lift and drop over road imperfections so I'd have thought that the CRR would increase fractionally. Clearly not enough to offset the other wheel benefits, but I just didn't understand this section of the benefits and it almost took away from the other benefits.

What am I missing?

Asked and answered...quite a while a go ;-)

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ling_events_226.html

Thank you good Sir!

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Chris,

Can you help me out with the rolling resistance claim. Logically to me then the effective location of the force 'F' is going to be the midpoint of the contact patch, ie under the hub and therefore perpendicular to the movement. So the length of the patch is irrelevant.

In fact as it's now akin to being a short wheelbase compared to a long wheelbase then there's going to be more vertical lift and drop over road imperfections so I'd have thought that the CRR would increase fractionally. Clearly not enough to offset the other wheel benefits, but I just didn't understand this section of the benefits and it almost took away from the other benefits.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Duncan

Duncan,

It looks like Tom A has been kind enough to help me answer the question. Let me know if you would like any additional info.

All the best,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Travis R wrote:
Hi Chris,

Any new production updates? Are you still shooting for Spring 2012? How much do you think the ceramic upgrade will be per wheel?

Sorry, I don't mean to be a pest, but I'm very interested in your wheels...

No worries. You're not being a pest at all.

Production is going well:
  • Custom DISC Hubs should be ready any day now
  • Currently finalizing spoke lengths for Custom Sapim CX-Ray Order
  • Molds are still underway

We have no specific dates as of yet but are pushing for a 2012 season release. Obviously as early as possible. Ceramic upgrades should be in the $75-$100 range per wheel.

Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Take care,

Thanks for the update. I'm following as well and looking forward to the release of your wheels.

Larry Durland
Member of Team Firefighter
IM Blog: 34 Weeks & 17 Hours
Twitter: @larrydurland
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [ldurland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ldurland wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Travis R wrote:
Hi Chris,

Any new production updates? Are you still shooting for Spring 2012? How much do you think the ceramic upgrade will be per wheel?

Sorry, I don't mean to be a pest, but I'm very interested in your wheels...

No worries. You're not being a pest at all.

Production is going well:
  • Custom DISC Hubs should be ready any day now
  • Currently finalizing spoke lengths for Custom Sapim CX-Ray Order
  • Molds are still underway

We have no specific dates as of yet but are pushing for a 2012 season release. Obviously as early as possible. Ceramic upgrades should be in the $75-$100 range per wheel.

Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Take care,

Thanks for the update. I'm following as well and looking forward to the release of your wheels.

Thanks for the kind words!

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks both. I admit that i'm still not 100% convinced, but those pages helped.

Duncan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:

Duncan

Well, if there is anything I can do to try and help clear something up, let me know.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

Duncan

Well, if there is anything I can do to try and help clear something up, let me know.

Same here...what are you still not "100% convinced" about?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious about your layup. I know it's non-structural so it might be a little less important how the fibers are oriented, but I was wondering how many layers were required for a fairing and how they're oriented and so on. I'm also curious about your molds. Do you have two halves that you bond together? Could you post some pictures that you might have of the actual mold or the design?

I realize if you don't want to disclose too much if there are company secrets and such, but I'm just curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice to see your progress with your wheels.

When they kick at your front door, How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun
Paul Simonon
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [timskee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timskee wrote:
I am curious about your layup. I know it's non-structural so it might be a little less important how the fibers are oriented, but I was wondering how many layers were required for a fairing and how they're oriented and so on. I'm also curious about your molds. Do you have two halves that you bond together? Could you post some pictures that you might have of the actual mold or the design?

I realize if you don't want to disclose too much if there are company secrets and such, but I'm just curious.

I don't have any pictures of our new molds at the current time as they are still being constructed. The best estimation of carbon fiber thickness is approximately 0.5mm thick. It's surprisingly rigid for that thickness. Our original prototypes were 0.3mm thick. The carbon fiber comes in large sheets in pre-determined thicknesses with the resin already in place. The factory cuts the carbon fiber in "mold-specific" shapes and applies them to the mold. They are actually quite sticky. It's pretty cool to watch. I wanted to take pictures and videos of the process but the factory wouldn't let me for privacy reasons. A lot of the companies we know well over here in America use the same factory we are using and it wouldn't be fair for me to show you the production of Company X's products. My brother and I are planning another trip to Taiwan during our production and hopefully we can convince them to take some picture/videos of our products being produced.

The fairings will be constructed with several seams. This is pretty standard... even for structural carbon wheels. This greatly reduces waste (keeping costs down) and looks good all at the same time. You can kind of see what I'm talking about in this picture from our old prototype wheels.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [qqqq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
qqqq wrote:
nice to see your progress with your wheels.

Thank you!

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

I'm really excited about the wheels. I have just a few question I hope you can answer.

1. Will the rear disc be tubular or clincher? I'm looking to get 60 front with dissc in the rear.
2. What will be the weight for each of those mentioned in question 1?
3. What is the delivery timeline? Assuming I order on 2/20 from your site, how long before you guys ship them out?
4. What kind of hubs are you guys using with your wheels?

Thank you,
Nutti
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [kirrapoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not trying to be an asshole, but this info is literally available on the forum in multiple places by performing a simple search, on FLOs website and on their facebook page. Chris will no doubt answer your questions, but the answers are readily available.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad. I must admit that I'm too lazy to do the research. But I also want to hear it directly from Chris since some of the responses have been up for a while and might be outdated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not Chris, and yes he will answer, but I think this forum would be a better place if we didn't have industry people rehashing things again and again; and rather let them design, improve and focus on their products and business outside of this small world of ST (this is only my opinion).

Anyway:
1. clincher only
2. 1260 grams
3. see http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._latest_reply;so=ASC
4. hubs are some sort of design typically used but customized for Flo, "custom to create a better union between the carbon fiber and the hub (on the disc). The guts of our hubs are also based on a tried an true design that has been used successfully by other manufacturers without durability issues. "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kirrapoint wrote:
Hi Chris,

I'm really excited about the wheels. I have just a few question I hope you can answer.

1. Will the rear disc be tubular or clincher? I'm looking to get 60 front with dissc in the rear.
2. What will be the weight for each of those mentioned in question 1?
3. What is the delivery timeline? Assuming I order on 2/20 from your site, how long before you guys ship them out?
4. What kind of hubs are you guys using with your wheels?

Thank you,
Nutti

Thanks Runless.

Nutti,

Runless is right on the money with his responses. Regarding the timeline... it really depends on when you place your order. All of the shipping and time line information, pictures etc is available to those who sign up for the launch at our homepage. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: FLO 60 and 90 wheel review [Running Doc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man...clicked "checkout" three minutes after the site went live and they were out. Bummer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next