Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]

I see on Athlinks that his PR is 9:44 at Florida. 3:18 off the bike. Splits look legit.

How does IM Wales compare to IMFL? He went 10:56 in the UK. BTW, he did LP in July, Wales in September, and then Kona in October. Maybe this is a mistake? He has some decent results on Athlinks. LP splits look legit, however it's one big split for the run.

three options as I see it so far in order of likelihood:

1. this guy cheated at Kona
2. this guy lost his timing chip and the OP is mistaken
3. the OP and husband are lying

1a. to this is that the guy is a serial cheater, and did in fact steal a slot at LP and cut the bike course or run or both at FL.

I'm hoping it's # 2

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [IronHoosier] [ In reply to ]

Who knows exactly, but there were several sections where the bike out was a few miles from the bike back. It was entirely doable. Plus it seemed he used a car on the run as he made the far loop, he could have done the same on the bike. He was DQd and never showed for awards or his Kona slot.

While I certainly don't think a rush to judgment is good, nor trial by internet. But, if honest athletes don't stand up to known cheaters, it only encourages them.. Peer pressure can work. A win is meaningless in a cheaters eyes if he can't flaunt it over everyone. Being called out has more effect on a cheater than his non-existant internal sense of honesty.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [kdawg32750] [ In reply to ]

kdawg32750 wrote:
What about the person he stole his Kona slot from?

(I am assuming he cheated at that race also)

You're also assuming he got his slot by qualifying at another race.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [MCHammers] [ In reply to ]

MCHammers wrote:
It seems obvious looking at Athlete Tracker and other information you provided who it is. If it's not this guy you might let us know that. Don't want to lynch some guy that just had a bad day.

MC

Athlete tracker is only showing me the first 250 of any given category and isn't listing any DNF that I can see. Ugh!

----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
If at first you DO succeed, try to hide your astonishment!

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [alligatorCAN] [ In reply to ]

I would like to come out and say that I 100% admit to turning around about a mile or so before the energy lab and cut off about 5 miles from the Kona IM run this past Saturday.

I am in the process of writing an apology to WTC (which I will send to this group or CC anyone on the e-mail for verification) that asks my finisher picture / video to be removed from the site, the DNF changed to a DQ and for an address to send back the finisher shirt, hat and medal.

As to my reason why I cheated, it was more difficult an arguably worse then a split decision to cheat by cutting the course. Up until the climb up Palani and onto the queen K I was having a great race, but once I started the run on the Queen K I knew that I was not going to be able to run the rest of the run. Thus when I started climbing the hill before the flat to the left turn to the energy lab I decided to cut my losses, turn around and head home for a DNF. At this point I was cramping, dehydrated and in severe pain. I removed my chip after this point in frustration and sadness and just wanted to walk/jog the rest of the way home. When I got to the downhill leading into town is when I decided to cheat, having all the fans there cheering me on and thinking of all the people who looked up to me (I acknowledge this is for sure a past tense now) I made the WORST decision of my life…the decision to cross the finish line after cutting the course.
Once I made this decision I was met by my parents and could not get myself to tell them what had transpired, so I made yet another terrible decision to keep going with the lie and tell them I had a great run. It was a snowball effect from here as wherever I went with my parents I continued to talk about my “amazing run” as referenced in the original post by the pool. I know that this was a terrible act and continuing the lie only made it worse, but I could not bring myself to let down my parents and all the people who have spent their time and energy supporting me. I know I was not deserving of their support, but even more so I know they do not deserve to be hurt for supporting an athlete who lacked integrity.

Despite what you believe I actually thank you for bringing out this whole story to the public, as the last couple days have been the hardest/worst days of my life. I know you may not believe me (nor should you have any reason to) but I have never done anything of this nature before in my life and will certainly not do so in the future. To those of you speculating on my other race results I promise they are genuine, but this one is definitely false.

To the creator of this post, please send me your e-mail so I can CC you on my e-mail to WTC and offer you a direct apology for having to sit through my bullshit on a day you should have been reveling in your husbands amazing accomplishment.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [mahlergrooves2] [ In reply to ]

Check to 18-24 AG

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [triathlon1989] [ In reply to ]

HUGE!!

good for you for admitting it

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]

first post........?

anonymous profile?

are we sure he is who he alleges to be?

Tim

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]

twinracer2 wrote:
first post........?

anonymous profile?

are we sure he is who he alleges to be?

I'm not even sure I exist.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter

Wow...I can't imagine how painful that must have been to write, but props to you for doing so. It can be tough to recover from such a thing, and cause endless beating up on oneself, but you've made a very important first step.

Spot

When things go wrong they go wrong, me myself would rather have a DNF witha time of 18:00:01 then resort to cheating. That said you already did enough. He got the DNF. He will always know he is a cheater. Especially when he looks or wears the stuff. No need to ruin the way his kid sees him as if his kid thinks dad did it honestly might still have a chance to turn out okay. on a side note going through the energy lab would have only added 30-40 minutes at most?? Damn I would have been stoked with that time. Also congrats on a great race to your husband.

jackmott wrote:
damn.
that is a first.
thank you for coming forward.

Agree entirely with this. While you showed a tremendous lack of honor by cheating, admitting to it and attempting to rectify it is a HUGE step in the right direction.

While I have nothing but contempt for your decision to cheat, I have something of respect for your coming forward.

----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
If at first you DO succeed, try to hide your astonishment!
Last edited by: mahlergrooves2: Oct 12, 11 9:02

Wow... as the OP I really want to applaud your courage for coming forward. I know that everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes these mistakes can get out of hand. It takes a lot of character to stand up and admit, and apologize for what you did. I hope you learned from that day and move forward. I certainly support you and wish you all the best in the future.

jackmott wrote:
damn.

that is a first.
thank you for coming forward.

Awe man, my popcorn just finished popping. Way to kill a good witch hunt...

To be honest, after reading the confession I could feel a little empathy and certainly see how the events could unfold as described. Also have to respect manning up to it when called out on it. I'm going to bet that you where not the first, only, or last person to cheat - just one that was caught and you took a higher road than most cheaters - which is to deny or blame others.

Well, that took balls. I think you'll earn the respect, not that it is of great importance, of the Slowtwitch crowd, but more importantly your friends and family.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [fasterthanTIM] [ In reply to ]

I did nce but stopped to put it on. In a sprint where 2nd in AG was 4' ahead of me and the eventual 3rd in AG was 4-5 feet behind me at the time. Ended up being 20' in front by time I got back on and I never regained spot.

I am in the process of talking to my friends and family and those that support me so that is why I have been absent from this forum.

I also have been a reader and not poster to ST, hence the new account.

If anyone has any questions, recommendations or wants to rightfully scold me I am open.

In a nut shell I raced in 3 IM races in two months, didn’t plan on racing Kona and had a physical and mental breakdown on the run and seriously just wanted a DNF (wish I just hitch hiked back). Nothing can rectify my decision and my only hope is that I did not hurt my friends, family, integrity of the sport and supporters in the process.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]

It is the correct person. He's a friend of mine. I post on here pretty frequently and realized the thread was about him, so I told him about it this morning (not knowing the true story yet). He admitted everything and told me what happened, and how awful he feels.

He is a stand up guy, and I applaud him for coming on here and doing the right thing, and continuing to do the right thing by apologizing to wtc as well. He is also an amazing athlete, and has put down some incredible times in the past, and I'm sure he will in the future. I can assure you that all of his other times are absolutely legitimate. I'm sure he'll be back to Kona in the future.

I wish him all the best in dealing with this, and I think he's doing the right thing.

Thanks for posting. It takes courage and some level of honor to come forward.

Here's a piece of advice. If you want to keep competing and really put this incident to bed, just post your Garmin files after your your races.

Good luck going forward.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699

Case closed - time to move on!

Wow... Mucho respect for you if you say you are who you are......or something like that. We all make bad judjment calls every now and then and like my father taught me it does really take a man to answer to his mistakes. You just took the first step son.

At least your coming clean now gotta give you props for that.

Good luck in your future races.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.

I'm for firing squad at dawn...and I'm a bit less than 1/2 kidding. Minimum penalty 10-year ban, for sure. It' Kona, first of all; you don't drop trou in the court of the Queen, c'mon.

But it's the same gripe I have with the massing drafting packs at IMFL; thieves stealing places from those who ride clean, and simply not getting the most basic point: It's an IRONMAN! it's supposed to test you, stretch you, etc. How the hell can you have any self-respect at all and cheat in an Ironman?

So glad you guys suspected him and followed up by doing the homework. Well done-hope it didn't bum out the afterglow for you...

Prev Next