Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious about cleaning of the water bladder, how easy is it too rinse or clean out. Having experienced food poisoning from a "bladder" (Camelbak) that wasn't fully clean, I'd be hesitant to use the system unless it was easy to clean, and clean fully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) What is the ratio of the aerobars?

2) When will stack/reach be posted on the web?

3) Why no nose cone?

4) Why not a center pull front brake?

5) Limits on rear wheel options?

6) Type of BBs on the 2 framesets?

7) Difference between the 2 framesets?

8) What makes the stem aero?

9) Both frames Di or electronic Ultegra compatible with internal wiring?

10) How does a downtube bottle affect drag?

Thanks,

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daveinmammoth asked most of my questions, but I would also like to know

- Can you purchase the semi-integrated stem/bars seperate to add to the Pro frameset?

I already have the other components and the S-Works model is out of my price range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you get it with 180mm cranks?

Quote | Reply
This is a great article on the new Shiv
infact, I am surprised how much more in-depth it is than the ST one
Given the intense interest this bike has gathered, would have thought ST would have prepared an article by now

http://www.tririg.com/...New_Specialized_Shiv
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is a drag chart in the photos in the link above comparing the new Shiv to the TT and nosecone versions plus the transition. Thankfully it looks like the 3 Shiv versions are close (as my Shiv TT is being built today!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will I be able to run my Quarq BB30 cranks on this?

"slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears from the photos that there is a larger gap between the rear wheel and the seat tube and the front wheel and the down tube. Is that correct, and if so, what was the rationale for the increased gap?

Is the rear wheel "gap" simply a result of the vertical dropouts? And why where vertical dropouts chosen over the horizontal on the Shiv TT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does the S Works module including aerobar package weigh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at prices and specs, I would love to a version spec'd with ultegra or force.

Kinda hitting the price point/ performance level between the rival/apex and the dura ace version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest I'm more interested on how it handles than how it looks.....It's all very well designing super aero bikes for Kona,etc.... but most (European) Triathlon courses aren't straight or flat, they are hilly and technical.

What I want is a lightweight, aerodynamic TT bike that climbs, descents and corners like a high-end road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKathlete wrote:
To be honest I'm more interested on how it handles than how it looks.....It's all very well designing super aero bikes for Kona,etc.... but most (European) Triathlon courses aren't straight or flat, they are hilly and technical. What I want is a lightweight, aerodynamic TT bike that climbs, descents and corners like a high-end road bike.

Agreed. What athletes need are some tri bikes set up like this:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much for the S-Works Module? Is a Di2 Module available? I see it shown as the complete bike but not as a module.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mile2424 wrote:
How much for the S-Works Module? Is a Di2 Module available? I see it shown as the complete bike but not as a module.

There are 7 options on the Specialized website (US site) with pricing, the S-Works Module (red or black) is $6,100 USD and a S-Works Di2 complete bike (black) is $12,700 USD. I'm not sure what you mean by 'Di2 Module', the modules (Shiv and Shiv TT) do not come with components just the frame, fork, bars, crank, seat post, and brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah ok, when I had checked yesterday they didn't have prices posted yet.

I wasn't sure if a Di2 module was an option that had different internal Di2 routing.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice thing about that graph is that we finally have some data on the venge. It looks like it is about 250 grams less drag than the shiv, which is pretty decent for a road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Daveinmammoth, I think I can get most of these for you.

Quote:
1) What is the ratio of the aerobars?
2) When will stack/reach be posted on the web?

3) Why no nose cone?

4) Why not a center pull front brake?

5) Limits on rear wheel options?

6) Type of BBs on the 2 framesets?

7) Difference between the 2 framesets?

8) What makes the stem aero?

9) Both frames Di or electronic Ultegra compatible with internal wiring?

10) How does a downtube bottle affect drag?

1) Ratio of the aerobar is around 4:1.

2) I'm hunting down the stack and reach charts, I will have Clayton post them along with the geo chart in his original post.

3) the decision for no nosecone came from the need to travel with the bike. Eliminating the nosecone means there are fewer unique parts used on the bike and an athlete traveling with it can typically replace any bolt with parts easily found in a shop. Also, by lengthening the DT airfoil we were able to get similar aerodynamics to what was found in the original Shiv's HT/Nosecone section.

4) We use the same side pull brake front and rear again, so our dealers can stock fewer unique parts. We were also able to get a stronger brake feel from the side pull.

5) I haven't seen a limitation of wheel choice yet. All of Zipp's Firecrest 808s and 404s fit easily.

6) All bikes have our OSBB shell that allows you to run any BB30 crank or any Shimano style crank with supplied adapters.

7) Frame's from SW to Comp share the same exact shape and features. Carbon lay-up has been modified to help lower cost and make a $3300 Rival bike possible!

8) On the back side of the stem there are 3 different heights of "Control Towers" (5mm 25mm and 50mm). These fairings ship with the bike or frame and help reduce cable clutter and provide smooth airflow behind the stem regardless of the riders bar height.

9) Yes, the bikes are equipped with 2 sleeves inside the frame. For bikes with cables the FD and the RD will go down on tube (The mega sewer tube) and the rear brake will go down its own hole. On Di2 and Ultegra Di2 bikes the control box esily fits down the mega sewer tube, while the rear brake is routed down its own separate hole. Cable routing on these bikes is incredible easy.

10) Mark Cote will speak to aerodynamics when he gets home from Kona. He will have the good hard facts for everyone soon.

Chris R.
Specialized Bicycle Components
PR/Media Relations
Last edited by: CakeWalk: Oct 5, 11 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TriDave79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The XL will ship with a 175 cranks arm.

TriDave79 wrote:
Can you get it with 180mm cranks?

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Last edited by: CakeWalk: Oct 5, 11 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CakeWalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the crank arm lengths that one can order with the bike?

170-175 only or are there others?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [wareagledusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Sir, Also, on the SW bike, the TT chainrings have a cut out to allow to a Quarq powermeter. (see below)

wareagledusty wrote:
Will I be able to run my Quarq BB30 cranks on this?

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CakeWalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So those of you with current Shiv's, what size do you think you will choose on the Shiv Tri?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly....but a proper TT bike coz they're cool...!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [hgrong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, I'll let Mark speak to the aerodynamics of the bike, however, we did make the choice for vertical drop outs to make the bike easier to use. After testing the bike in CFD we didn't see a gain in drag from the increased wheel gap. Also with the increase in space from the wheel to the frame, it opens up the ability to run high volume tires.

hgrong wrote:
It appears from the photos that there is a larger gap between the rear wheel and the seat tube and the front wheel and the down tube. Is that correct, and if so, what was the rationale for the increased gap?

Is the rear wheel "gap" simply a result of the vertical dropouts? And why where vertical dropouts chosen over the horizontal on the Shiv TT?

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey UKathlete, We have been road testing the bike here in California for about 8 months and the bike handles extremely well for 3 reasons.

First even though the tubes are very deep, Mark and Luc's airfoils are very stable in HIGH crosswind. Even with 90mm deep wheels the bike seems to tac like a sail boat in the wind. It feels fast and predictable. Second, due to the large tubes... the bike is stiff. For years we have said that a bikes overall torsional stiffness is the best predictor of handling and the Shiv is extremely laterally stiff. Even at high lean angles and heavy cornering loads the bike tracks very well. Last, the Shiv TT is one of the best handling TT bikes on the planet thanks to the input from out pro teams. We took what we learned from the Shiv TT and translated that to a triathlon specific platform.

Even on tight and twisty roads, you are going to be able to stay in the aerobar longer and corner with more confidence. We are really proud of how the bike handles.

UKathlete wrote:
To be honest I'm more interested on how it handles than how it looks.....It's all very well designing super aero bikes for Kona,etc.... but most (European) Triathlon courses aren't straight or flat, they are hilly and technical.

What I want is a lightweight, aerodynamic TT bike that climbs, descents and corners like a high-end road bike.

Chris R.
PR/Media Relations
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you mean more ;) and at 40kph not 30mph(sorta standard)
Quote Reply

Prev Next