Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Trainerroad.com
Quote | Reply
I'm signing up for the free Beta now that the winter months are on the horizon. It looks perfect for me as I have both Garmin and Kurt Kinetic which both work with this site. Is anybody else on this and have any feedback. I realise that when it goes full on I'll end up paying a monthly fee but I'm thinking tha anything that makes the trainer time more precise and fun can't be bad.

http://www.trainerroad.com/tour

Last edited by: russ: Aug 22, 17 5:50
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Russ
My wife and I have been using the software for over a week now.
We both have a Kirk Kinetic as the power source.
You can use your Garmin watch same time as the software. (turn off auto lap and hit the lap button for the intervals)
I am currently doing the advance base. (Very challenging)

Overall my wife and I really like the program and the features (it’s like having a coach yell at us when we are slacking)

Nate (co founder) is on here (ST) and can answer any questions you have.

Mike
Last edited by: heliix: Oct 3, 11 11:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used it a couple times in the last week, since I saw it on Rainmakers blog. So far I love the software, although I do not love my power numbers :(
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding the wattage numbers on a bike trainer are typically lower than on the road..
Myth or not, it’s what I keep telling myself. =)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [heliix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I am here :).

I'd be happy to answer any questions. I'm guessing there might be some around VirtualPower. http://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [heliix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they are typically lower due to the following factors:

1) Motivation (we are trying to help with that).
2) Cooling (too small of a fan)
3) Lower Inertia (high torque riders)

Alex Simmons has a great post about this: http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/...harged-training.html

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate,
Looks great. Any plans for us Mac guys?
Jamie
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! It's our most requested feature. We are working on mac support right now. We have the player running in OSX already, we just need to port the ANT+ stuff. HR is done, just need to do speed, cadence and power and we will be ready to beta it.

If you sign up right now, you'll get on our mailing list and we will send out an e-mail when we get mac support ready for testing.

Until then, it does work in Parallels or Fusion. I know you don't like to sully your computer with windows though ;).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used it a few times in the past week paired to my Powertap hub and HR moniter. It's some pretty cool stuff! I just finished my last race of the season yesterday so now I'm looking forward to getting a bit more "into" what they have to already offer---workouts. I know Nate has been hinting around about some of the "down the road" (pun intended...) stuff like courses and it sounds good!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,
Do you know if the Kurt Kinetic Wireless Speed sensor included with this computer is compatible with your software? Do I just need a USB ANT+ stick, such as the Garmin, to receive the signal?

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [VanDrunken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not the expert on this, but unless you have an ANT+ sensor to transmit the data to the ANT+ USB plug in your computer, this won't work.

The KK wireless speed sensor is not an ANT+ sensor (pretty sure). If you have the garmin speed sensor, you'd be in business. That is what this program would be picking the data up from. I plan on using my ANT+ quarq power meter once I get off the road and onto the trainer. Very much looking forward to using this cool software!!

VanDrunken wrote:
Nate,
Do you know if the Kurt Kinetic Wireless Speed sensor included with this computer is compatible with your software? Do I just need a USB ANT+ stick, such as the Garmin, to receive the signal?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I was afraid of. I could not find anywhere on KK's website that said their wireless computer was ANT+.

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VanDrunken wrote:
This is what I was afraid of. I could not find anywhere on KK's website that said their wireless computer was ANT+.

Do you use a Garmin now? The speed/cadence sensors are not a lot of money. Really, you don't even need to use a Garmin head unit. If you have the speed/sensor, you can likely just use it and Trainer Road. You just won't be able to upload your ride data to Garmin connect or anything.

I have the KK wireless speedo sensor, but won't be using it anymore, so will very likely be selling it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can somebody post a linkie to the USB dongle that talks ANT+ to the Garmin speed/cadence sensor? I've got a 305 with the speed/cadence sensor, and just need the USB part to talk.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Can somebody post a linkie to the USB dongle that talks ANT+ to the Garmin speed/cadence sensor? I've got a 305 with the speed/cadence sensor, and just need the USB part to talk.

Here they are at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/...317676138&sr=8-1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if that speed sensor is ANT+ or not. If you find out, let us know. (edit: darn looks like it isn't)

Yes, you just need the ANT+ usb stick (most say garmin on them).

We are actually doing the exact same thing as the KK power computer. We are still working on getting our calibration roll down test just right. For now, we ask people to tighten down their wheels the same and pump up their tires to the same pressure. I've been doing some test this way and it's been pretty consistent with my KK road machine. We will be blogging about all of our data soon.

Watch blog.trainerroad.com for more info on that.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Last edited by: Nate Pearson: Oct 3, 11 14:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are still making sure we record our data just right (for now we are taking samples every second and counting nulls after 5 seconds of drop out).

Once we get it nailed down we will offer auto-publish of workouts to things like trainingpeaks, garmin connect, ect, and allow you to download your own files.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
We are still making sure we record our data just right (for now we are taking samples every second and counting nulls after 5 seconds of drop out).

Once we get it nailed down we will offer auto-publish of workouts to things like trainingpeaks, garmin connect, ect, and allow you to download your own files.

Great. Sounds like you guys are going to have a solid product. Can't wait to try it out this fall/winter once I'm done being outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:

Just a recommendation here - I know you've thought about this a lot already, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in - I find the fact that you have to 'join' to even preview any of the workouts/features onerous. You sound like good guys, but there are too many shady websites (not you guys hopefully) that have such free signups, but then sell your email to spam mailers, have some fine print that locks you into to some charges without you knowing about it until you get a real bill, etc. As a result, I know I, and likely others, are hesitant to input our data just to see something that might not interest us ultimately.

If you could make some samples of the actual workouts/contents available without a signup, it would help folks like me a lot more in giving you guys a try. As it stands now, I haven't even been able to see any of the workouts or features of what you guys can even do because of that signup page, and I'm an easy sell for stuff like this - so you're probably losing out on folks if it's limiting for even well-wishing and very interested folks like myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe we will fix this worry when we start to charge $10 a month :).

For an explanation on the pricing and why it's month to month, read here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=3554888#3554888

Right now, it's all free while we workout the bugs. We thought a bit about having all the workouts and/or plans for free, but we didn't want to give away the farm.

You can however, get a really good idea of what sort of workouts we have by looking at our ride feed: http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides. If you look through that long enough you could probably figure out every workout we have (once someone has done the workout once).

We've only had an open beta for about 10 days now. I'm going to revist both the workout and plan page to give a bit of a teaser on there, but right now I'm trying to get the bugs out of the final product before I work on any of the marketing stuff. I agree 100% that we are loosing some people there though, every day I look at google analytics and see people leaving the website on those pages.

For the "selling of e-mails part" I can assure you that we aren't doing that and have no desire to start. We are in a super niche market; competitive cyclists/triathletes who are so competitive that they workout indoors because of weather/time/safety. It's so tiny that it's hard to even explain what TrainerRoad.com is to my mother-in-law :). She has no clue what a "Trainer" is or a "Power Meter".

We think that one of the keys to our success is to make a great community of people with a lot of interaction and motivation through communication. If we start doing shady things it would spread like wild fire and everyone would abandon our real money maker, the monthly fee.

One last thing, when we do launch we are doing a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee. If you don't like us, get hurt, get too busy or just don't think we offer 10 dollars worth of value to you for those 30 days you can cancel and we will refund you. It's going to be just a simple click on your profile page, no need to e-mail or call someone.

We want to build our business through offering a great product at a very reasonable price, no shady stuff what-so-ever.

-Nate

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds reasonable - I'll check it out when I have the time to get a ANT+ USB.

Was hoping to be able to browse the features even without the ANT+ USB - just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents about my impatience, although I don't find any problem per se with your current setup. I've been waiting for someone to effectively connect the ANT+ stuff with software, and hopefully you guys get it right.

If you could somehow get online racing on there too, in real time, that would likely be great stuff too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
If you could somehow get online racing on there too, in real time, that would likely be great stuff too.

SHHHHH!!! Keep this under wraps please :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh Oh, I'm sensing a slowtwitch tour de France coming on already, this could get nasty.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, you guys make me want to spill the beans sooo bad.

But you're on the right track :). Still a ways off from everyone getting to use it though.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Oh man, you guys make me want to spill the beans sooo bad.

But you're on the right track :). Still a ways off from everyone getting to use it though.

All I can suggest is that you better get that function out quickly. I would not be surprised if Garmin, KK, or Cycleops, once realizing how useful this would be as a marketing tool to sell more of their hardware, starting making custom devices that aren't so friendly with non-proprietary software so they can reclaim that market. But as is, there are basically no real players in online racing despite CT and Tacx having some features that are not implemented well enough so that it's become a very requested feature. A great opportunity for someone to get it right and get a big leg up on the major players in the field.
Quote Reply

Prev Next