Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to see if the computrainer is right for me. I have it in my budget and I want to make the best decision. Here's the situation, I'm young (24) and an ok rider at best 5:50's IM Louisville, running is my strength but I want to get stronger on the bike. For the time and money I put in what will give me the best return? I live in Michigan so I can't ride year round and no one likes spin classes, they just aren't "the same". I can invest in on bike power meter and use it year round for ~ the same cost as a computrainer but from what I understand I can replicate courses. I consider myself a minimalist, I don't like alot of crap I don't need. I don't have cable and only own a tv for netflixing from my laptop. Having stated this, I want something that will give me years of use and reliability.

Is it worth my money to invest in a computrainer?

Lifelong Endurance Coach
Triathlon - Running - Cycling - Nutrition
Check us out online to see what we offer
http://www.lifelongendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [deathb4DNF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a PM and a Computrainer. I will be selling my Computrainer. I bought my Computrainer first and just picked up a PM last year. I wish it was the other way around!

IMHO you get more value from a PM. You train with it and then you can race with it.

I live further north then you so I do lots of trainer rides. Again IMHO if your trainer rides are Power focused then they need not be much more then 90 min to be really effective. If you don't think you can do a 90 min trainer ride without some hokey graphics then get the computrainer! :)

Having said all that wanna buy a used Computrainer?? :)

BB
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [buddhabelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second this, except my wife likes the CT. Really, the only good thing is ERG Mode, where you are "required" to push the watts.

Get a wireless powertap (they are dirt cheap - look at the banner above) then check out the new indoor riding app that uses the ant+ stick to get your power on the screen.

ErgDB Erg & PowerAgent workout generator | My blog - special thanks to Kiwami
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also started with Computrainer then added a powertap and sold the computrainer...

I don't ride long inside...just hard. I didn't see the value in have a computrainer as I couldn't take the watts outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [stratman05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What''s your definition of Dirt Cheap? Can you give me some links? I'm new to this Power game but everything I read (here and otherwise) is that wattage is the true way to train.

Lifelong Endurance Coach
Triathlon - Running - Cycling - Nutrition
Check us out online to see what we offer
http://www.lifelongendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CT will run you $1,600. You can get a wireless PT + aerojacket for under $1k new. You can find them on the forums used cheaper. The problem is you can't race with a CT...trust me, there's a huge difference of riding on the CT versus outside. I bought a used wired PT (for $350 shipped) and that helped me more then the CT since I was able to figure out I was pushing hills too hard.

ErgDB Erg & PowerAgent workout generator | My blog - special thanks to Kiwami
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, if you have a power meter and a mag trainer, you have all you need to get a great trainer interval workout. The CT is a great tool. I have one. I LOVE to write erg files for my interval workouts, load it and go. I could do the same workout without the CT using my Quarq and a mag trainer.

If it's one or the other, get the PM and the the mag trainer. That way, you can use the PM outdoors when you're not on the trainer.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out this post from DC Rainmaker:

An inside look at TrainerRoad, a way to make your regular trainer like a mock-CompuTrainer
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...oad-way-to-make.html

If you get a ANT+ power meter you can do computrainer style workouts on your trainer. We'll also support courses later.

**Disclaimer** I own the company.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Last edited by: Nate Pearson: Sep 29, 11 16:46
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate has a great product---as was also mentioned above! I've used it a couple times since I read Ray's blog post about it (interbike...). Good stuff to use with a PT. Get the trainer, PT wheel and aero cover---use app for your indoor rides and then still have power outside!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate--I have a Timex Global Trainer ANT+ watch...is there a USB dongle like the Garmin one that I can use with this software?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks man! You're a strong beast, 3.87 watts/kg http://www.trainerroad.com/career/Skippy74.

Pt, wheel cover + TrainerRoad is a good combo IMHO :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a CT and a PM. Have owned both for about the same amount of time - 5+ years. Without question I would buy just the PM and a solid trainer like a Kurt Kinetic or something like that. And I'd buy me some warmer winter gear (good pair of tights with wind block) and get out on the roads on dry winter days more often. Any left over funds could be spent on a more aero wheelset, etc.

Bottom line, there are a lot of things I'd buy before I bought a CT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so this usb stick + my ANT Timex Global Trainer watch + speed/cadence sensor + normal trainer + your software = everything I need?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Check out this post from DC Rainmaker:

An inside look at TrainerRoad, a way to make your regular trainer like a mock-CompuTrainer
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...oad-way-to-make.html

If you get a ANT+ power meter you can do computrainer style workouts on your trainer. We'll also support courses later.

**Disclaimer** I own the company.

Nate, thanks for posting this here otherwise I probably would not have found it. I too am in the process of putting together a Power System and am seriously looking at going the wireless PT route.

I am going to pick up an ANT+ stick and try out your software on my KK Road Machine.

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the right USB Stick. You don't actually need your ANT Timex Global Trainer Watch. We pick up the data directly from your speed/cadence sensor.

You'll also need a trainer we support. Some trainers are affected by heat more than others, although we are working on an auto-calibrate formula to take that in affect. Another thing to be mindful of is rolling resistance, you'll want to keep the same tire pressure and tension on the rear wheel every workout.

If you have a Kurt Kinetic trainer you should be pretty golden (although even that one is affected by heat a little bit).

As long as you figure out your FTP through one of our tests (I recommend 20min test) the rest of your intervals should be relatively accurate, which is what you want.

We've been adding some new trainers lately but they are "experimental" right now and we cannot guarantee their accuracy. I think it's still better than doing workouts based on RPE or HR though....BUT...we do support doing all the workouts based on LTHR. You can toggle the workout type to HR under the profile tab.

You can read more about virtual power here: www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power.

As we do more test and get our calibration formula down we will be blogging about the accuracy of VirtualPower vs our PowerTaps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [VanDrunken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet! Let me know what you think. We have a new release coming out in a few days that adds tones for the start/end of intervals and auto Play/Pause via cadence.

The road machine works well and that's what we are currently testing. We've seen relative numbers stable across workouts.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a great idea/invention. Do you think you will keep it as a monthly fee or be able to produce it as a downloadable program with a one time fee?

Quote | Reply
We will keep it at a monthly fee and here's why.

First, we think we offer a lot. Over 120+ structured workouts, training plans, live data on your computer, recorded and sent to the cloud for sharing with your friends. All of this will be included in our $10 a month plan. If you have one of our supported trainers, we also turn your trainer into a power meter. We think for $10 this is a great deal; just ONE training plan on some sites are $100+. I think it's the best value in cycling as far as making you go faster for dollars spent (but of course I would think that...).

We are also going to add more features, workouts and plans as we go.

Secondly, a lot of people don't need this system year round. We hope they get such a good workout that they use it in the summer to save time and be a little safer, but some guys will just use it for a few months in the winter and suspend their membership during the summer (we don't delete your data if you suspend your membership, it stays right where it is).

We also think a monthly plan gives you flexibility if you get injured or sick. We don't offer any bundled 6 or 12 month plans.

I also don't think we'd be able to support waterfall approach software. Since the app is always connected to the website we need to keep it up to date and in sync with the new features we offer. We are just two guys with wives, babies and full time jobs. We don't have a lot of time to code complicated stuff. We also have a coach as one of our founders, but he doesn't do any of the coding.

I hope this makes sense.

-Nate

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack too much :) Any plans on creating coach accounts where we can have our clients do our specific workouts and see the data? or just the ability to add our own workouts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well now that makes more sense. I like that you can suspend the account if you're not using it. How will you make the payments, monthly draft out of an account or a bill you pay before each month? I think this will be a great tool to use simply to have the data input instant as opposed to an upload after your done. Also, I use an SRM, any compatability issues? What about if I am running my Joule at the same time, will both systems record my data at the same time?

Quote | Reply
We have some cool idea for coaching but we aren't there yet, we have some other things to do first.

Same thing with creating your own workouts, but for now we've created "Free style rides" that are just workouts without targets, so you do what ever you want.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [Need4Speed305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be automatically drafted out of your account each month.

SRM works great! The ANT+ implementation is a "star" network meaning multiple head units can connect to sensors.

That mean's there's no problem using your Joule at the same time as TrainerRoad. We actually suggest it. Right now we don't have a way to download your workouts out side of TrainerRoad. We're going to add auto uploads to TrainingPeaks, Garmin Connect, ect, but for now we suggest that people just use their regular head units if you want to get your data out.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the idea too. Just curious - what's a reasonably priced ANT+ speed sensor? I don't think the Garmin 305 falls into that category (I think only the HRM is ANT+ for the 305). I also don't think most bike computers <$120 have ANT+, but I could be mistaken.

I would almost definitely sign up for this service if I'm not dropping $300+ for yet another speed sensor.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either one of these is a good choice:

$35.31 Garmin GSC 10 Speed/Cadence sensor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BFNOT8

$39.99 Wahoo Fitness Premium Speed and Cadence Sensor
http://www.wahoofitness.com/...ence-Bike-Sensor.asp

The 305 would be considered a "head unit". You computer becomes a head unit when you use TrainerRoad, so no need for the 305. We connect directly to the sensors.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next