Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chesapeakeman Race Report
Quote | Reply
Background - 4 years and 11 months before the race, I was in a crazy skydiving accident. I shouldn't have survived, let alone be in the shape I'm in now. I had multiple fractures in my neck, back and then my right femur. I got into triathlons to stay in shape and was told to pursue Kona as a special interest slot, but wasn't interested in it. Instead, I chose Chesapeakeman so my family could be there, and my wife and I had a son in August.

I'd like to thank Kiwami and Xterra for supporting me this season. The Konami tri suit is hands down the best suit I've ever had. I raced all my races this year in it, from sprints to 140.6. My Xterra Vortex 3 was the first long sleeve suit I had, and I had 0 jelly fish stings :). Brian from PBN was a huge help dialing in my nutrition, it was a game changer for me. desertdude, rroof, barryp (running plan) and others from the forums answered questions about training/health/etc that kept me going.

Now, my training this year wasn't near what I wanted to do. My long rides in July were on a trainer next to a pool, and August was kinda a wash with the little one, but an amazing time. I did a few 3+ hr trainer rides and a 16 and 18 mile run

Race day - I woke up feeling great. It had poured the day before and overnight, so I was worried about my bike. Got into transition and my powertap was DOA...so much for riding my target watts. Had issues getting my tires pumped, so I knew the bike was gonna be a long day.

Nutrition - Breakfast was a bagel with peanut butter, then a bottle of gatorade/carbo pro sipped before the swim. On the bike, I had EFS gel and EFS/carbo pro in the water bottle. Sipped/drank those every 15 minutes and chased with water. Was peeing clear the whole bike/run. On the run, I did a shot of EFS gel at every turn (4.4+ miles) and then gatorade/water at every aid station - switched to soda at the half way point.

Swim (1:11) - I lined up at the outside buoy and took it easy. I did the ST method for training and slacked off in July/August. Finished and felt pretty good.

T1 - hot sweaty mess in the changing tent. Didn't wait for my own bag, just grabbed it and got changed (slowely). Need to remember to remove the plastic from the gel flasks

Bike (6:20) - I planned on taking it fairly easy (150 watts), but had to go off RPE since my PT was dead. 10 miles in I'm slowing down and hear a "thud thud thud" at my front tire...yep, first flat. Got it changed and kept going. 5 minutes later, what do you know? Another flat...this time the vavle stem failed. Got going again and a minute later I hear the air bursting out of my front tire...got a pebble in it and it was slashed. I was ready to throw my bike and call it a day, but the SAG wagon wasn't too far away. Waited for them and got a new front tire installed. Who knows how long I lost (30+ minutes), but I just wanted to finish the race. Got to mile 56 and a friend of mine had flatted twice and was DNF'ing. Stopped to see if she needed help and then went off. Hit the special needs and my neck was killing me. I had to sit up and just take it easy the rest of the ride. I'd love to go to Elite and get a good fit from DG to work out my neck and hamstring issues, but can't budget it right now.

T2 - In and out. Someone gave me tums and it was a huge help.

Run (3:48) - Since I didn't push the bike hard, my legs felt amazing. It was a three lap course, and I did the first lap around 1:12. Second lap I was running with a guy in my AG and took it a little easier than I wanted to, but was fine with it. Hit the half way point at 1:48 Third lap, I was still feeling good, but decided to run/walk the aid stations. At mile 20, my hamstrings were getting ready to cramp up and I just didn't have the run base I wanted to. Hit the last turn around and ran into the one and only, Wongstar. She was all smiles during the run. Got to run and chat with her for a few miles (22-24) which was a huge help for the mental side.

Finished in 11:29 and was ecstatic. They even gave my son a call out :) at the finish.

Tri Columbia did a great job as always. I think I'll hold off doing another 140.6 until I can ride longer than 4 hours without having issues.

ErgDB Erg & PowerAgent workout generator | My blog - special thanks to Kiwami
Quote Reply
Re: Chesapeakeman Race Report [stratman05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome story, and way to overcome 3 flats! Great job finishing! Classic that Jocelyn Wong was there too!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job!

Lots of flats out there Saturday. I flatted 2 minutes out of T1.

I heard the announcer sharing your story before the swim while waiting in the porta potty line....glad to hear the rest of the story and about your race. Most of us got stung in the swim, you are fortunate not to have gotten any.

I agree they put on an excellent race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stratman05 wrote:
Background - 4 years and 11 months before the race, I was in a crazy skydiving accident. I shouldn't have survived, let alone be in the shape I'm in now. I had multiple fractures in my neck, back and then my right femur. I got into triathlons to stay in shape and was told to pursue Kona as a special interest slot, but wasn't interested in it. Instead, I chose Chesapeakeman so my family could be there, and my wife and I had a son in August.

I'd like to thank Kiwami and Xterra for supporting me this season. The Konami tri suit is hands down the best suit I've ever had. I raced all my races this year in it, from sprints to 140.6. My Xterra Vortex 3 was the first long sleeve suit I had, and I had 0 jelly fish stings :). Brian from PBN was a huge help dialing in my nutrition, it was a game changer for me. desertdude, rroof, barryp (running plan) and others from the forums answered questions about training/health/etc that kept me going.

Now, my training this year wasn't near what I wanted to do. My long rides in July were on a trainer next to a pool, and August was kinda a wash with the little one, but an amazing time. I did a few 3+ hr trainer rides and a 16 and 18 mile run

Race day - I woke up feeling great. It had poured the day before and overnight, so I was worried about my bike. Got into transition and my powertap was DOA...so much for riding my target watts. Had issues getting my tires pumped, so I knew the bike was gonna be a long day.

Nutrition - Breakfast was a bagel with peanut butter, then a bottle of gatorade/carbo pro sipped before the swim. On the bike, I had EFS gel and EFS/carbo pro in the water bottle. Sipped/drank those every 15 minutes and chased with water. Was peeing clear the whole bike/run. On the run, I did a shot of EFS gel at every turn (4.4+ miles) and then gatorade/water at every aid station - switched to soda at the half way point.

Swim (1:11) - I lined up at the outside buoy and took it easy. I did the ST method for training and slacked off in July/August. Finished and felt pretty good.

T1 - hot sweaty mess in the changing tent. Didn't wait for my own bag, just grabbed it and got changed (slowely). Need to remember to remove the plastic from the gel flasks

Bike (6:20) - I planned on taking it fairly easy (150 watts), but had to go off RPE since my PT was dead. 10 miles in I'm slowing down and hear a "thud thud thud" at my front tire...yep, first flat. Got it changed and kept going. 5 minutes later, what do you know? Another flat...this time the vavle stem failed. Got going again and a minute later I hear the air bursting out of my front tire...got a pebble in it and it was slashed. I was ready to throw my bike and call it a day, but the SAG wagon wasn't too far away. Waited for them and got a new front tire installed. Who knows how long I lost (30+ minutes), but I just wanted to finish the race. Got to mile 56 and a friend of mine had flatted twice and was DNF'ing. Stopped to see if she needed help and then went off. Hit the special needs and my neck was killing me. I had to sit up and just take it easy the rest of the ride. I'd love to go to Elite and get a good fit from DG to work out my neck and hamstring issues, but can't budget it right now.

T2 - In and out. Someone gave me tums and it was a huge help.

Run (3:48) - Since I didn't push the bike hard, my legs felt amazing. It was a three lap course, and I did the first lap around 1:12. Second lap I was running with a guy in my AG and took it a little easier than I wanted to, but was fine with it. Hit the half way point at 1:48 Third lap, I was still feeling good, but decided to run/walk the aid stations. At mile 20, my hamstrings were getting ready to cramp up and I just didn't have the run base I wanted to. Hit the last turn around and ran into the one and only, Wongstar. She was all smiles during the run. Got to run and chat with her for a few miles (22-24) which was a huge help for the mental side.

Finished in 11:29 and was ecstatic. They even gave my son a call out :) at the finish.

Tri Columbia did a great job as always. I think I'll hold off doing another 140.6 until I can ride longer than 4 hours without having issues.

I heard the announcer share your story as well. It definitely caught my attention. great job. nice marathon time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go! Impressive especially given the adversity with all the flats on the ride

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stratman05 wrote:
Snip

Great effort. I'd be happy with that marathon time as a stand-alone...:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race! I'm going to do this one year. It fairly close to my home and would be a low key way to enter the 140.6 distance.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Chesapeakeman Race Report [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm from a family of runners (I played soccer instead). I may try to BQ next year since I know I still have a lot of progress I can make.

Everyone should do this race once. The bike reminds me more of an adventure race having to go through the flooded roads. I really enjoyed the low key element of the race. People were able to have family members join them on the run (walk/jog), although I wasn't a fan of the woman who had her husband ride his bike next to her giving her nutrition for the whole run.

ErgDB Erg & PowerAgent workout generator | My blog - special thanks to Kiwami
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on all the positives you have going on. Well done. Also, good to have used up your allotment of flats for a while...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job!

Now what's the deal with the skydiving accident?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Job! I heard your story prior to the start.
I thought it was a great race. I flatted as well, about 5 miles in.
I wish the ramp out of the water was better, sliced my toes up and I was eaten alive on my last lap of the run.

This was my first 140.6 finish - 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Chesapeakeman Race Report [BuckeyeTown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congratulations to Mr. Skydiver and all the other competitors and heyyy...I flatted too!

I was just so happy to be out there running, 3mos after that car hit me during IM Korea, but damn, doing an ironman when you are totally out of shape is really friggin' painful. Time to succumb to the retirement rumors perhaps ;)

:: I came, I saw, I conquered. then I ran out of money, crashed into a car during an Ironman, and now work a bad-ass job making prosthetic legs for wounded warriors. ::

the blog: My So-Called Civilian Life :: theWongstar.com :: follow me @theWongstar
Quote Reply