Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
America is different. The military is not the State. The state of America's military is volunteerism, not conscription.

About 1% serve to protect the other 99%

i think if other people knew that no-one here is forced into military service, that might make a difference. And a military entity sponsoring a sporting event is a good thing, not a bad thing.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonas wrote:
Yeah, but what about racing a "world champs" in Israel with Mossad as main sponsor, or in Russia with Spetsnaz as the host?
Or why not in China with the Peoples Liberation Army as title sponsor?
Would that feel inviting or appropriate?
I think it would be really cool to beat them.
Sort of like a African American guy beating nazi's in the Olympics. Makes it that much sweeter. I mean it is not like the U.S. Is made up of over a billion nationalities anyway is it?

Quote | Reply
You'd think with the upcoming Dod funding cuts, that the military, and marines could probably use that money for something more needed, like bullets, bombs, body armor etc.

Or maybe WTC just couldn't get a title sponsor for the race to pay as much as they wanted?

I was at the race, other then ON running shoes, zipp/sram, and 19 wet suits b/c I know the reps, there was Kswiss and BMC bikes. I can't recall anyone else at the expo even. I'm sure others were there, but they didn't make an impact on me to get me to remember them.

The Marines as the title sponsor either they didn't get shit for booth space, didn't have the manpower or time to get a booth together or weren't even there at the expo.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 11, 11 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys can speculate all you want but you should know it did not cost ANYTHING for the Marines to sponsor the 70.3 Championships.
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [Iron Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You guys can speculate all you want but you should know it did not cost ANYTHING for the Marines to sponsor the 70.3 Championships.

Now I'm disappointed in the VC firm that owns WTC for not being able to get a paying title sponsor for a world championships.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was disappointed by that too.......... to not see any official Marine Corps presence at the event. I used to have to pull color guard duty for the most innocuous events. I think on a day like today their resources were stretched pretty thin.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not how budgets work. There is so much recruiting/marketting $. That's where it came from. Similar to weapons development/procurement $. This is manpower procurement $. Absolutely necessary. Without people there is no need for bullets or body armor.
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Marines didn't "dump" any money into the race!
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The USMC is with their same advertising agency they've been since the 1940's. And last time I checked, that final shot of that video was shot in San Francisco.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You all are reading WAY to much in to this.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that it is good for the Armed Forces of the US to get good publicity OTHER than war??

I thought it was good to see the Marines as the total sponsor. YES, it is the IM 70.3 WC, a WC held in the USA!! If anything, all the athletes should feel safe. Some of you idiots are making it sound like the Marines were going to post snipers in buildings picking off any NON-American who might be leading the race. Shut up already. I swear some of you all gripe and complain just to gripe and complain. Is it really going to affect your race?? No! Put a sock in it.

The US Army is all over NASCAR and Pro Rodeo. Not to mention the banners and such you always see at the Olympic Games when they are in the US. No one complains about that.

It's good publicity for the Marines. Publicity targeted at all demographics. Their target demographic and the Parents and Grandparents of their target demographic that might have to give their blessing to a son or grandson wanting to become a Marine. I guess that idea would have required some of you all to actually think though. ;-)

In the end, it was a great race! An Australian won and passed an American to do so. I think everyone is safe. Geez!!
Last edited by: SpeedRacer1: Sep 11, 11 18:07
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never understand these sort of posts. First, if you don't agree with the sponsor or you hate WTC because they are a for profit company than don't do the race. Pretty simple really.
Regardless of who the sponsors are....if someone or something didn't come forward it's highly unlikely these races would exist. It's like when everyone complained about how Kona was one big Ford commercial. It's because of sponsoships you even have the ability to watch your sport.
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [maverick04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The US Navy sponsors the X Games where were the complaints about that?

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We are broke. This is the wrong mentality, it's already budgeted... How about not spending it period? This the reason we are in trouble, rampant spending."

You have no idea how government $ is budgeted and spent. This is REGULAR PROGRAMMED money that is 5 years old. While yes, the USMC could have NOT spent the $ to sponsor the race today, it would NOT have resulted in any additional $ available in current government coffers. It simply does not work that way with government money. In reality, programmed money that is not spent simply goes away...and has a ripple effect that leaves an ever reducing budget for the entity at hand...USMC...and USMC Recruiting in particular.

I spent my last 3 years prior to retirement at USMC Recruiting HQ. I think you would actually be fairly pleased with the extremely effective use of advertising $ by the USMC. They spend orders of magnitude less $ than the other services, and yet have maintained successful recruiting missions for decades. They are VERY selective about where the $ is spent. And there are incredibly precise metrics used to determine the efficacy of any particular advertising campaign. While I was there we dumped the Busch Series car sponsorship because it simply didn't produce the exposure that other venues...like the 70.3 at hand...produced.

I could point to a lot of "rampant spending" in the DoD and related government entities in the last 10 years. This is NOT it.
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [maverick04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buncha commies in this thread.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron Gal wrote:

Then I have no objection at all to it :-)

I really do think that the Army likely gets their money's worth from Nascar though. Seems like there is far more interest in serving in the military in the south than here in NY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than the people during the broadcasts, who else actually refers to the race as the "Marines Ironman 70.3 World Championships"? That sort of lingo is reserved for the people who are getting paid to say that mouthful. Those same people couldn't actually give a shit what they call the race. Same goes for me.

Think about how we talk about the other races on the forum. We talk IMLP, not the Ford Ironman Lake Placid. Same for IMKY, Kona, etc. In common parlance, we couldn't care less who is sponsoring the event. I haven't a clue who sponsors the European events, nor would it matter.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonas wrote:
furiousferret wrote:
I don't think it has anything to do with patriotism. The Marines want the elite of America's youth and advertise via the UFC and IM, two extreme sports where young athletes that fit the Marine mold gravitate towards. I'm far from a patriotic American and that's how I see it.

We will never know, but my guess is the Marines offered the most money to sponsor the event, that is how things work in a free economy.

Oh, really?

So, if for instance the Mormon Church wanted to spend a few million bucks to be the title sponsor, would that be OK? What about some creationist movement with a lot of dough? Or some extreme conservative right wing lobby group that wanted to state an anti-gay or anti-gender equal society? Still OK
What about if the KKK raised a shitload of cash? I´m sure they also want to "recruit"...

Extreme exemples, yes, but where would the WTC draw the line for something being TOO political, to religious, to polarizing?
If it´s just about the money, it´s just a matter who would pay the most.

And I get the point why the Marines want to sponsor this! But the question remains unanswered if that´s appropriate in a so-called World Champs? What´s next year? Letting the CIA sponsor the event? I´m sure they could use some good press too...

If you´re an American and went to a World Champs in a foreign country, would you feel comfortable and at ease with the opposite scenario?

Why do you hate freedom?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should also worry if they are the ones measuring the swim course................................They will do it in nautical miles!!! ..Think this happened in the first IM calif. Little long
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They wanted to shoot the Silent Drill Team in Haight-Ashbury, I know this for a fact. Maybe they were denied by the SF City Council. Anyone can shoot from Chrissy Field.

Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blimey! It seems most posting in this thread, apart from the synergy with 9/11, have totally forgotten the original links with the military and Ironman, a link forged long before the JV companies or even previous owners of the Ironman name were in the game.

Commander (later Captain) John Collins was the man who first proposed the competition (and no it wasn't in a bar and there weren't a number of military present). However, it was a marine, nearly three years later, who pushed John (and his wife Judy) into actually getting the original Ironman race underway. I remember the quote was, "When are we going to get this three part thing going", or words to that effect.

And there was certainly a strong showing from the Hawaiian based military (US military) in that first race, and the military has been involved, in the US and around the world, ever since with most races recognising a 'uniform' category.

It seems on the day, and in the traditions of Ironman therefore that the Marines are the perfect sponsor! And what better way to showcase the human side and the lifestyle fitness of the corp?

As a student of history of Ironman I say "get over it" and get on with your training - there's another race around the corner!

nrmoz - 'downunder'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the difference is the US Military is made of Volunteers not people that are required to serve!

Big Difference.

Like T says, "Remember it is all about the Bike because it is all about the Run!"
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Navy sponsored the X Games this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't ever come race Oceanside then. You'll have to race by REAL marines with REAL guns riding in REAL tanks. Shit, or Superfrog, Navy fucking SEALS. Forget about it

As others have mentioned, it's a made up WC. Just like Kona, and Clearwater was. I'd be more afraid of racing around a bunch of scary driving blue hairs in Fla than any marines. Who, by the way (the marines) make absolutely kick ass "volunteers"

And no, if it was in the UK and the RAF was a sponsor, I really wouldn't care or notice.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Sep 12, 11 16:47
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Don't ever come race Oceanside then. You'll have to race by REAL marines with REAL guns riding in REAL tanks. Shit, or Superfrog, Navy fucking SEALS. Forget about it

As others have mentioned, it's a made up WC. Just like Kona, and Clearwater was. I'd be more afraid of racing around a bunch of scary driving blue hairs in Fla than any marines. Who, by the way (the marines) make absolutely kick ass "volunteers"

And no, if it was in the UK and the RAF was a sponsor, I really wouldn't care or notice.

Realistically as I said earlier in the thread, these events are like the US Open of half and full Ironman, with approximately 50 percent invites to international athletes (which by the way is awesome....I love the international flavour). Its just that Americans have a habit of calling big events on their home soil World Championships (world series, superbowl, NBA championships) even though typically only US participants/teams get to play. At least at a WTC World Championships, we have a lot of international content, but realistically these events are more like Flushing Meadows than the Olympic games! Viewed in the context of "US Open of Half Ironman" the Marines sponsorship entirely makes sense. Viewed in a true World Championship context, I am sure that some athlete from China, or Iraq or Afghanistan, or North Korea might feel somewhat uncomfortable.

So for my international friends who might feel it being out of place, just view it as the US Open of half IM, and the cognitive dissonance around having an Armed Force sponsoring the event should subside :-). Makes sense for the Marines to sponsor a US Open. It's in the US, it's their event, and they are hosting us, and the Marines help provide the freedom in the US under which the event happens.
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Realistically as I said earlier in the thread, these events are like the US Open of half and full Ironman, with approximately 50 percent invites to international athletes (which by the way is awesome....I love the international flavour). Its just that Americans have a habit of calling big events on their home soil World Championships (world series, superbowl, NBA championships) even though typically only US participants/teams get to play. At least at a WTC World Championships, we have a lot of international content, but realistically these events are more like Flushing Meadows than the Olympic games! Viewed in the context of "US Open of Half Ironman" the Marines sponsorship entirely makes sense. Viewed in a true World Championship context, I am sure that some athlete from China, or Iraq or Afghanistan, or North Korea might feel somewhat uncomfortable.

So for my international friends who might feel it being out of place, just view it as the US Open of half IM, and the cognitive dissonance around having an Armed Force sponsoring the event should subside :-). Makes sense for the Marines to sponsor a US Open. It's in the US, it's their event, and they are hosting us, and the Marines help provide the freedom in the US under which the event happens.
what he said

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next