Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do wonder a bit if it's going to help them reach their target market. Seems like they're going for the 18-25 year old demographic for their preferred recruits, and triathlon's a sport people usually seem to develop an interest in during their late 20s or later.

Seems like the X Games and such would be more of their desired demographic because they'd skew younger.
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [JamesTR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JamesTR wrote:
As a Brit, who was thinking of trying to qualify for Vegas next year, it seems a bit off. Makes me question whether they really want non-US athletes to race.

As a Brit (albeit one living in the US) it makes absolutely no difference to me. That said, I think the intent behind having ford as a title sponsor of ironman is probably to aggravate the Germans...

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonas Extreme exemples, yes, ... [b wrote:
I agree.[/b]

If you´re an American and went to a World Champs in a foreign country, would you feel comfortable and at ease with the opposite scenario?

I would fee comfortable and at ease if the worlds in Britain were sponsered by the SAS, or if they where in in Sweden and sponsored by the Military.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So, if for instance the Mormon Church wanted to spend a few million bucks to be the title sponsor, would that be OK? What about some creationist movement with a lot of dough? Or some extreme conservative right wing lobby group that wanted to state an anti-gay or anti-gender equal society? Still OK
What about if the KKK raised a shitload of cash? I´m sure they also want to "recruit"...

Extreme exemples, yes, but where would the WTC draw the line for something being TOO political, to religious, to polarizing?
If it´s just about the money, it´s just a matter who would pay the most.

And I get the point why the Marines want to sponsor this! But the question remains unanswered if that´s appropriate in a so-called World Champs? What´s next year? Letting the CIA sponsor the event? I´m sure they could use some good press too...

If you´re an American and went to a World Champs in a foreign country, would you feel comfortable and at ease with the opposite scenario?

Apparently you have not even a little bit of a clue about the Marine Corps.

BTW, if I went to a race in, say, Russia and it was sponsored by the Russian equivalent of the USMC I would have no issue (FTR I have never served in any armed forces).

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a freakin' race. Who gives a shit?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The US Army supports and sponsors many NHRA and NASCAR racers/teams for entire seasons.

The Marine Corps sponsors the 70.3 world championships.

One sponsorship costs less than the other.

How many 18-25 year olds do you think are ready to hop on a Top Fuel Drag bike?

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that makes perfect sense!

Ask anyone in the 18-25 male demographic and Ironman racing = not cool and boring.
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN 19030 wrote:
It's a freakin' race. Who gives a shit?

This.
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [fstbckadct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember the sponsor is paying. They are not getting paid. In theory, they are deferring some of the cost your event fee. One should, therefore, love it when an organization they despise sponsors an event. They are paying for you! Further, if you dislike the sponsor you should be very quiet about it so as to limit the exposure gained from their sponsorship. God Bless The United States Marine Corps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could have been the WTC "World Champs" sponsored by Tampax. Or McDonalds. Or Budweiser (sorry, InBev). Or Exxon/Mobil.

Pretty sure WTC only cares about who can sign the biggest check, not the baggage or background that sponsor might bring.

If Mosad or Spetznaz wrote a bigger check - we'd probably be griping about that right now.
I think WTC World Champs on 9/11 sponsored by Mosad would be pretty badass, and a HUGE F U to the terrorists, but that's probably just me.
YMMV.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [bobttcoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forgot the part that you are paying the sponsor with your taxes, so it's all coming back to you.
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Therefore, people should not whine about the US Military sponsoring any kind of sporting event.

There are gaps to fill to make this sport better.

It is amusing to me how the military knows better than the private sector PR firms about brand recognition.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:
You forgot the part that you are paying the sponsor with your taxes, so it's all coming back to you.

Not pointing fingers so please don't take this the wrong way. The USMC has a recruiting budget and how they spend it is up to them. So that money is getting spent regardless. There is no better recruiting tool though than a Marine his or herself.

Quote | Reply
Brand recognition is very difficult to quantify. I think people are whining because this is our government dumping money that they don't have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:
Brand recognition is very difficult to quantify. I think people are whining because this is our government dumping money that they don't have.

Again...this money is budgeted already. If it wasn't spent here it would have been on buildboards or magazines etc. It's not like they said "screw it let's dump $500k into this" and we are footing more of a bill.

Quote | Reply
We are broke. This is the wrong mentality, it's already budgeted... How about not spending it period? This the reason we are in trouble, rampant spending.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mojozenmaster wrote:

It is amusing to me how the military knows better than the private sector PR firms about brand recognition.

And you know for a fact that the military didn't hire a private sector PR firm to help them with brand recognition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I see your point through my clouded patriotism. My guess...in all honesty...if that the Marines put up the most $$ to have their name on the banner. Much like Ford does for Kona. With enough cash I bet they would remain next years event "IM 70.3 WC brought to you by Jonas!". The Marines are are using the event as a platform for rectruitment which I can understand and I highly doubt the WTC put much thought into how the rest of the world would react. I mean, we're America after all, doesn't the rest of the world love us???

Quote | Reply
I'd be willing to guess that title sponsorship for this event, which is otherwise barely a blip on the sporting world radar, costs a fraction of what one, :30 spot on the Super Bowl would run them. And yet nobody would say boo about the latter, since all sorts of corporations choose to waste their $ on SB commercials.

I'd also guess that trying to align themselves with (generally) young, fit, active people makes more sense for the Marines, than advertising to old, fat, couch potatoes who run to the bathroom during the boring commercials anyway.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the Marine Corps needs a private PR firm to affirm their brand recognition. But they have one nonetheless. But I do know the Marine Corps tried (as a part of a larger TV spot) to shoot a commercial in downtown San Francisco with the Silent Drill Team.

That never happened. I heard they fired that agency, and filmed here instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAp-VdBkIDE

Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get your panties all in a bunch, you don't have to worry about another countries military equal to the USMC sponsoring anything because let's face it none are even close let alone equal. Now drag your sorry ass back to mamby pamby land!
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt, those SB spots are big $$. Plus, like you said, the market is very different. The SB seems to cater to beer, food and finance. I doubt many of the same people would care too much about who placed well at a triathlon or better yet who sponsored the damn thing.

On the flip side, the SB is an "American" event...but the World Series (baseball) isn't, yet it still gets only US teams and US sponsors and nobody complains about that...

Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:
We are broke. This is the wrong mentality, it's already budgeted... How about not spending it period? This the reason we are in trouble, rampant spending.

You miss the point. We need people to join the Marines. We do not have a draft. They need to market themselves. Where better then with fit people. Gets them thinking or their family or friends. There are lots of triathletes in the military.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think from a US Point of view, this makes a ton of sense. From an international point of view, imagine going to the ITU World's in Beijing and having the race sponsored by the People's Army....it would just seem weird for a non Chinese athlete, and might be really weird if you're from Korea or Japan. I think this is the angle that Jonas is trying to address. Of course, the date of this thread, and the entire topic is entirely turbocharged. I can certainly appreciate the US Point of view and why the Marine sponsorship makes sense....in the end this is a WTC World Championship. Basically a championship event that is "by invitation" to athletes from around the world....it's actually more like the US Open of Half Ironman and is probably more comparable to what is going on today in Flushing Meadows!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people will complain about anything/everything.
Quote Reply

Prev Next