Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nutrition during Im
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I usually read the general forum but sometimes get tired of all the chest beating going on over there!
I am curious about your experiences with nutrition during full IM. I'm trying to get a rough sense as to how much I should be taking in (calorie wise) on the bike an hr. I'm roughly 5'10 138 lbs. On my long rides (5hrs) have been taking 20 oz water 20 oz IM perform(course nutrition for IMFL) a cliff bar (200 cals) power bar, waffle (honey stinger). It doesnt seem enough but I'm curious what the more experienced women on here think.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition during Im [Greengoblin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if you search the archives on the regular forum, you'll find that 200-300 calories per hour is about right for someone your weight. My opinion is that you may be consuming too many calories. How many calories are in 20 oz IM perform, and how many in the waffle honey stinger thing?

Some people can train their bodies to tolerate 400 calories per hour, but that would be more the exception than the norm. Don't forget your goal is not to replace every calorie that you're burning off, but to consume enough to maintain steady fuel release in your muscles.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition during Im [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the comment about maybe too many calories. I always found that too many calories and not enough water resulted in too many green/blue box visits.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrition during Im [Greengoblin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you taking this per hour? or is that the total amount for the 5 hour ride? If that's the total for the ride (how I read it) then it's not really enough. You're likely going to die during the run.

I take 400/hour on the bike. seems like a lot to most, but I a similar build to you. I know what I need to take in so I don't bonk. Then I figure out how much I can take in and still digest it. Then I cut back about 25 calories an hour for fiddle room.

The thing a LOT of people do is figure out what they need for a long training ride while going nowhere near the effort they'll go during an IM. That's when people end up having problems. And you need to take in as much as you can on the bike so you are as topped off as possible for the run. I see a lot of people take in enough on the bike to keep the bike going, but then bonk 30 minutes into the run because they can't process as much on the run.

It's a lot of trial and error. And you have plenty of time. I did most of my experimenting on 2 hour rides. That way if I messed it up big time the one long ride a week wasn't wasted. After I thought I knew what I needed to do, I tested it on the long rides once a month.
Quote Reply