Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread
Quote | Reply
Same "rules" as the other threads. You can ask me anything about the RACE. What that means, really, is that you cannot ask me about my training leading up to the race in quantitative terms. I have a coach. I pay him to make those decisions. So my training plan is HIS intellectual property, not mine, which means I can't - or at least won't - share it. So, anything about the race, fire away. Or, obviously, general questions about other stuff during the build is fine too. But, if you want to know what I do for "work" every day, you are out of luck.

With that said, I'll answer some of the questions from the other thread here:

@hogstuff - because I don't care about "racing" in Kona. I care about winning in Kona. Or at least being in contention for the win, and trying to do that 6 weeks after an Ironman is, in my mind, foolish.

@Slowman - expected average power: 285 to the top of yellow lake. I don't really care past that point, since it's so much of a net descent.
actual average power: 282
expected average cadence: 82-83
actual average cadence: 78

some idea of your power while riding up richter pass: avg for all of Richter pass: 305. But I'd say I was "averaging" ~310-320 when I was actually climbing. There are some descents/flat spots where I just relaxed. So if you grab the snippets from the actual inclines, the average power on those sections is higher.

@trexleradam - I ride at what I consider to be ~80% of FTP. But I don't really measure FTP. I rely on CP, which is similar, but not "the same." So I usually come up with a target that's about 75-80% of CP. But my CP usually drops from it's high point as I do less CP-specific work and more IM-specific work as the season goes on, hence the range. I ride fairly steady the whole way. Though I did ride the rollers very hard to snap the elastic.

@EricM35-39 - nutrition plan? same as basically every other ironman. Brian Shea is putting together the full thing, so I'll leave that for him to post.
changes in perspective on electrolyte supplementation? nope. same as always.
GPS pacing for run? yes. I rely heavily on GPS in training and also for racing. Though of course, feel is important too. But it's important to have GPS as a "reality check," especially to make sure you don't run too fast at the start.

edit: crank length? - 172.5
old Felt frame and stem size vs. new Shiv module size? - Felt 56 DA (2008 DA) & Specialized Shiv (2011) Large.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"GPS pacing for run? yes. I rely heavily on GPS in training and also for racing. Though of course, feel is important too. But it's important to have GPS as a "reality check," especially to make sure you don't run too fast at the start. "

What model GPS are you using and if so, do you use the instantaneous pace or the pace at given intervals and dial back/speed up based on the previous interval split+perceived exertion.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 31, 11 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, congrats on a great race and win!

You rode ~ 10 minutes slower in 2007 on very similar average power. What do you attribute the faster 2011 bike split to? Improvements in your equipment? Position changes? Was the course ~10 minutes slower that day?

Thanks!
Last edited by: dmorris: Aug 31, 11 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NP and VI?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longest ride leading into the race ?

longest run leading into the race?

I was curious what made you move from short course to iron distance, and when do you know your ready? Congrats on the win man, truly an inspiration to all of us.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
"GPS pacing for run? yes. I rely heavily on GPS in training and also for racing. Though of course, feel is important too. But it's important to have GPS as a "reality check," especially to make sure you don't run too fast at the start. "

What model GPS are you using and if so, do you use the instantaneous pace or the pace at given intervals and dial back/speed up based on the previous interval split+perceived exertion.

I use a 310xt. I have it set up to auto-lap every 5km. My display shows lap-time on top row, then inst. pace / lap. avg. pace on the second row. I rely on both inst. and avg. pace. And, of course, perceived exertion.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Mr. Rapp.

How many calories per hour on the bike and run? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmorris wrote:
First, congrats on a great race and win!

You rode ~ 10 minutes slower in 2007 on very similar average power. What do you attribute the faster 2011 bike split to? Improvements in your equipment? Position changes? Was the course ~10 minutes slower that day?

Thanks!

I was heavier. My bike was heavier. And, the big one, is that my SRM (like many SRMs, in my experience) clearly read high. My Quarqs read ~= my old PowerTaps (or within the margin of what you'd expect from drivetrain loss). My SRM was about 6% higher than that. I'd say that my power in 2007 was AT LEAST 5% less than what I posted if I was using my Quarq, and maybe more. I was also 2kg+ heavier. And my bike - Trek TTX with Profile design CarbonX bars and rear hydration - was probably 4-6lbs heavier.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris G wrote:
NP and VI?

Whole ride - 272avg / 285pnorm - 1.048VI

Top of yellow lake - 282avg / 291pnorm - 1.032VI

(Sorry for the difference in my reply to Dan. First one was based off Golden Cheetah, which uses "XPower" instead of Pnorm.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is your coach?
What's it feel like the hours, a day, and a week after the race? (Are you super tired?)
Do you take naps on a daily basis?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [uncle_evan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uncle_evan wrote:
longest ride leading into the race ?

longest run leading into the race?

"Long enough."

I don't really think I can give a good answer to this. For example, my longest ride this year was 6.5hrs, at Leadman. But was that "leading into the race"? My longest run in the past 12months was 42.2km, at IMAZ. Was that leading into the race?

This is why I avoid training questions - in order to answer them specifically enough to be relevant, I have to provide more details than I think is appropriate. And if I don't provide that detail, it's largely irrelevant.

Like, let's say you revised your question to, "in the six weeks prior to the race..." What if I did a REALLY long run 6 weeks and one day prior?

Etc, etc, etc...

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [CJAthey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAthey wrote:
I was curious what made you move from short course to iron distance, and when do you know your ready? Congrats on the win man, truly an inspiration to all of us.

Because I'm not a fast enough swimmer or runner to actually win any short course races. Coach Joel was the one who saw that I had a potential future in long distance. I didn't know I was ready. I did IMC in 2007 deciding on, literally, the Friday before the race. (Long story that I'm sure is chronicled on this forum somewhere.)

But I don't think you can know you are ready. Or, rather, if you KNOW are you ready, you've probably been missing out on some good racing in the interim. Racing is about risks, at least risks of a certain sort. You know if you were ready after you cross the line. Prior to that, you just do the best you can to be as ready as you can be.

Quote Reply
Re: Official "Ask Me Anything About Ironman Canada" Thread [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monsieur Trois wrote:
Congratulations Mr. Rapp.

How many calories per hour on the bike and run? Thanks.

400ish on the bike (I'm sure I spilled some). I shoot for 450, knowing that spillage and inexactness - did I drink 100.0% of that bottle? - make 400 more likely. So I'd say, "at least 400, and maybe as much as 450" on the bike.

On the run, one coke and one cup of perform at every aid station. Sometimes a bit more. Most of an 8oz redbull at the turnaround. Brian Shea usually does the calcs for me on that. But I think it's like 300+. When it's hot, I can't do as much. I've been as high as 400 on the run, but not in this heat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi Jordan. congrats, great job, and thanks for indulging us.

how's your bike position? did your accident have any long term impact to your bike setup?
same for the run; any hitches in your giddyup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Did you change back up to 172.5's (or did I just imagine you were on 167.5's) and if so, why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see you wore the Sworks road shoe....do you have those already clipped in when you start? If so, are they easy to get in?

Also, do you wear that shoe for short course as well?

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team