Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

desk job to on feet all day - workouts are crap
Quote | Reply
I started a new job three weeks ago. It's a good thing, but I basically went from having a total desk job for the past three years to being on my feet ALL day. If I try to do a workout after work, it is total crap. For example, last Tuesday's 4mi run took me 10 mins longer than my previous slowest.
My legs feel like wood, and although I feel like I'm working pretty hard, I'm apparently a snail.

Yes, I have good supportive shoes (doc martens - from when they were made in England but I never wore them much, so they're pretty much new, and Keens). Might also pick up some danksos.

Since it's going to be a little cooler tomorrow, I'm going to try wearing my compression tights while at work.

Any other suggestions to help?
Quote Reply
Re: desk job to on feet all day - workouts are crap [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Workout in the morning.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: desk job to on feet all day - workouts are crap [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
I started a new job three weeks ago. It's a good thing, but I basically went from having a total desk job for the past three years to being on my feet ALL day. If I try to do a workout after work, it is total crap. For example, last Tuesday's 4mi run took me 10 mins longer than my previous slowest.
My legs feel like wood, and although I feel like I'm working pretty hard, I'm apparently a snail.

Yes, I have good supportive shoes (doc martens - from when they were made in England but I never wore them much, so they're pretty much new, and Keens). Might also pick up some danksos.

Since it's going to be a little cooler tomorrow, I'm going to try wearing my compression tights while at work.

Any other suggestions to help?

Had the same situation for a few weeks this summer. Best thing for me was either get up super early and run or make sure I got some caffeine and a good stretch in before a workout after work. Also taking a minute every hour or so to stretch a bit while at work would help a bit as well.. might get funny looks from people for that one but hey - So what? The caffeine probably helped the most though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet your legs are toughening up and that you will adjust to being on your feet eventually. I was on my feet all weekend and feel like I rode/ran all weekend instead so I know the feeling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of surface are you standing on? When I was logging a lot of hours on the shop floor (concrete), my steel toed shoes ALWAYS made my feet feel a lot better than any other shoes. If I wore any other shoes, a few hours would kill me feet/legs/back, but I could log 18hrs in the steel toes. Most industrial shoes/boots are designed for people who stand a lot, and as much as I love Docs, get some better shoes.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compression hose. If I don't wear them, my legs feel "dead" after work. If I do wear them, they feel fresh. I use the men's "trouser socks" cause they have a little more pressure than the women's hose. I get them at the pharmacy (15 bucks or so per pair)
Quote Reply
Re: desk job to on feet all day - workouts are crap [eddiep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, those work really well too - I like the $30 drugstore variety not the $100 prescription variety - they come in different colours now ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: desk job to on feet all day - workouts are crap [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
compression stuff has been in style with my campers this year.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: desk job to on feet all day - workouts are crap [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I tried my current steel toes (Nautilus brand, my old job bought them for me), I tried my old steel toe work boots (industrial doc martens - made for this stuff), and have also tried my compression tights.
My legs seemed to feel a lot better after work when I wore the tights, but the workout was still crummy - I'm slow, my legs feel like they are made of wood.
I am not really seeing a difference between the shoes.

My before work workouts are definitely going better than the after work ones. However, unless I start getting up at a REALLY heinously early hour, I don't have enough time to do all of it before work (currently I need to be out the door by 6am).
I'm also struggling because I'm NOT a morning person. I realize that might have to change a bit, but it's been tough.

So far I've gotten up to work out successfully 3 times out of 4 attempts.
Far, far better track record than anything in my history.

Running in the dark is creepy, by the way (sun is coming up around 6:30am where I live).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3/4 is not bad for a start. Daylight savings time will start in a month, right?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: desk job to on feet all day - workouts are crap [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you mean daylight savings time ends in a month! ;)
I have to leave for work by 7:30am to get there on time, therefore any am workout needs to be done by about 6:50am to give me time to shower and get ready, eat breakfast, etc.

I'm sure I'll figure it all out!
one of my running buddies told me this would be good for me once I've adjusted to being on my feet!
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
right - I know when we set the clocks back I get more AM light...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely get them done early! I'm on my feet all day too, only way I can do it..it is a great start to the day trust me:)
Quote Reply