Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim?
Quote | Reply
From today's ESPN SportsNation chat w/ Ryan Lochte:

http://espn.go.com/...olympian-ryan-lochte

Quote:
Ali (California)
Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim?

Ryan Lochte
(2:51 PM)
Oh, I lost count. We swim 9 times a week. I would say including if it's just in the pool, we swim around 20 hours a week. But with dryland and weight training, I'd say 35 hours a week. Yardage, I'd say we go 70,000 meters a week.

Please bookmark for our next inevitable "Good 'Tri' swimmer vs good 'real' Swimmer?" thread...
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, I may have cracked 70K for a week once or twice... running.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my 13 y/o daughter swims 10 hours a week m-f then whatever she feels like on the weekends , when she moves up to varsity it will be 20

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And what's even crazier is they hardly do "rest" days. Swimmers at that level do a hard workout basically every day. By far the most mentally taxing sport.

Michael J. Pelechaty
Brewer, Black Box Brewing Co.

"Yeah, I was depressed for a little while, but then I remembered how awesome I am."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lochte's coach is known for higher yardage than most.

I wouldnt look at Lochte as the swimming norm.

Now a days, swimmers and coaches are playing around with the "new school" approach to the sport. Essentially, less is more. Quality over Quantity. It has taken swimming a few years to catch up to all the other athletes out there with this mentality. It will be interesting to see how the sport progresses over the next few years post lochte and phelps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i swim in a week less on my big ironman week than i did daily in highschool which is 7000yards.

i can crank 1:20/100yrds as long as i need to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm at 18k, I swim about 3k a day 6 times a week so about 6 hours of my total training is in swimming. Of that, two days are tempo 300 meter reps days, two days are speed days like 100 meter rep days, and long days of that could be 2k straight through with 1000 warmup, or 4 by 500. Really top of the line itu types are in the pool about 30k, and thats a high volume swim week for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zero/zero.....I swim only when I race......I hate swimming.

I'm fast enough without swim training to be a middle of the pack swimmer : ) which is good enough for me!

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [596] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's impressive that you're mop. I swam a 40 minute 1500 when I wasn't swimming haha.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [CJAthey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was able to suffer to a 76 minute IM swim without any training. Most of my races are sprints now a days. I can suffer thru a 15 minute 800. Fine by my standards and my old age :-)

Paul
Last edited by: 596: Aug 16, 11 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim 2500 meters 4 days a week.

Looks like that's not enough and I need to up that considerably.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
But with dryland and weight training, I'd say 35 hours a week.

I'd ask why he is wasting 15 hours a week weight training.........baddaboom! ;)

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest week was 21k's. Consistently between 10-13km, last week it was 18km.

Quote | Reply
Why not drop it down to 1:15/100 yards? ROI...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These days 4 - 5 days a week 12 to 20k (yards) depending on time of year. A far cry from the 80 - 90k weeks back in college. Our coach used to start each day with a 200 easy followed by 20x 100 descending from 1:10 to 1:00, then we'd break up into specialty groups. Got to admit, as much as we thought he was crazy it was an quick way to bang out 2000yds before getting into the meat of a workout...ahh, to be young again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in college I maxed out somewhere between 75-90k a week (during winter break - two a days, six days a week).

Now, usually 7-10.5k a week (3.5k a session x 2-3 times a week).
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least for our college breaks, we were in some place warm and sunny where it was like swim-nap on beach-lunch-nap-swim-eat-sleep when we were at 10-12K LCM per day for the trip. (And this was a mid-level D3 program that wasn't seen as doing excessive distance.)

These days, about 6-7K a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Why not drop it down to 1:15/100 yards? ROI...

swimming has a really negative effect on my running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know of some guys who did 200 000 metres/week in the 80's. My longest week was over 100 000.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't swim train at all. I just make sure all my races are wetsuit legal and I use a noodle.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually swim 3 x weekly for 9-12km total. Sometimes 1500 or so extra in the ocean too. For me this is the minimum that I can get away with and fit into my life - i'd do more if I didn't have a job. Physically, my body likes high mileage and responds well but mentally it gets tough after a while sometimes. Feels nice to to be fast when you do the work though.

I agree with the post above about quality being the new focus - remember Misty Hymens approach to her comeback Beijing Olympics? Apparently she barely swam at all - focussed on flexiblity & conditioning with weights a lot though. She is probably the anti-Lochte in many ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In IM peak time I swim 3x/wk for a total of 9000-10500 meters.

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I remember Misty. I had a bit of a thing for her back then, to be honest. I was happy to see her beat Suzie in 2000. I sat next to her for couple of flights in the late 90's, plus we swam the same events so she was always around the warm down tank when i was.

Currently I swim 5-15 000 metres most weeks but i do volume weeks in the winter.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70,000 meters shouldn't be that hard for Lochte.

2 workouts per day -- 1.5 hrs and 1 hr @ 4000m/hr 7 days/wk. Done.

It seems quite light for how fast he is.
Quote Reply
Re: Approximately how many yards/hours a week do you swim? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim training overall seems to still have this interesting duality where mileage counts but most of the workouts are interval-based. Even the high-milers are doing sets based on times with rests etc. Anyone here got a good handle on the leading training philosphies in swimming these days? Particularly, how do they translate to the components of a session in the pool?
Quote Reply

Prev Next