Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Workouts to get me to sub 40 10k (open)
Quote | Reply
I don't really have much time, but this will give me something to stay focused the next couple of weeks until I get back to tri training. I plan to run a flat, open 10k July 12. I did a sprint 3 weeks with a 4 mile run split just a bit under 26, and an olympic distance 1 week ago with a 41 10k split, so I think sub 40 open 10K is possible.

My run mileage has been between 10-22 miles in 3 workouts per week for the past few months. I've done tempo runs from 4-6 miles at 7:00 pace, but no intervals.

What key run workouts would you recommend over the next few weeks?
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts to get me to sub 40 10k (open) [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to the track and do 1200's. Start with 8 and work up to 12. Pace it by heartrate (3 beats or so over LT) but to go 39 minutes, my guess is that you should be running them at about 4:30-4:40 or so with maybe 3:30 rest. Nothing fancy but it works.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done it but Roch Frey and Paul Huddle wrote an article and training plan on breaking 40 miuntes on the 10k: http://www.multisports.com/archives/40_min_10k.shtml

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike,

13 days before the event is not much time to start new workouts and see the benefits on race day. The good news is that it seems like you have already achieved your goal. A 41 10k split on an olympic triathlon should translate into a sub 40 min stand alone 10k. If you want to improve further you could do intervals and/or hill work. 12x1200 intervals seems like a lot to me to start with. You could try how 4 to 6 mile intervals at 6:30 with, say 3:30 rest feel like. Enjoy your race and let us know how it went!
Quote Reply
Re: Workouts to get me to sub 40 10k (open) [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your probably, as others stated, to closee to the race for track workouts to make a difference. review the course and see if there is a hilly area, long downhill, false flat etc. Race a smart race for the first 1/3, race the race for the next third and race w/heart for the final 1/3. The biggest mistakes you can make are in the first mile or so. Good luck

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"A 41 10k split on an olympic triathlon should translate into a sub 40 min stand alone 10k."

--------------------------

I've read stuff that indicates it <<should>>, I'm just a little nervous about whether it <<will>>. I pretty much just jumped headlong into tri a few years ago with virtually no prior experience in these sports, so I have run few open running races, and nary a 10k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand the state you are in. Victor Plata - Pro-triathlete and Olympic alternate in Sidney - gave a speech to our tri club a few months ago about training and performance. His words were that 2 weeks before the race, the "hay is in the barn". Meaning, that your work is done, and there is little you can do to in your training that will result in dramatic improvements in your race. On the contrary, there is a lot you can do that may ruin your race - for a triathlon, like changing your bike position the night before the race - for a running race, like picking brand new shoes...you get the idea. Stick to your plan and what has worked before. It is now time for you to relax and think about the positive achievements that you have already made and the good training that you have gone through. Think about it that way: you ALREADY ran 41 minutes on legs that were tired by 1500 swim and 25 miles on the bike!!! That is a GREAT performance!!! 1-2 minutes to gain on fresh legs is a very realistic goal.

Keep in mind that you want to get to the race in best possible form. Don't overdo it in the last 2 weeks and get tired at the start. The one thing that works for me is to do 5 1-minute hill (very steep) sprints with 5 minutes rest 4 days (after proper warm-up) before the race to flush my legs. Then nothing 2 days before and something like a 20 minutes easy run the day before the race with 10 10-seconds surges.

I hope that help...Where is your race?
Quote Reply
Limited Time [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First... Good news. You definitely can hit it later in the year. Reality is that you might hurt yourself if you try to jam in workouts to hit it by the 12. I would not do it personally. But it is OK to start the process if you wish. But here are a few workouts which work well for me during a building phase or quality phase.

* 4-5 x 1200 @ 10RP with 2-3 min rest

* 5-6 1000 @ 10RP with 2 min rest then 4 x 800 @ 5K RP ( will be tough to hit the 800 at 5K may have to alternate #1&3 to hir 5K and 2&4 5K + 10 - 15 sec.)

* (Get a 1 mile all out effort to gauge 1 week before) Then 4-5 x 1/2 the distance at 1/2 the time. So if 1 mile was 6 min then the workout is 5 x 1/2 mile at 3 min with exactly 1:30 rest. Then 4-6 400 @ 5K race pace NO FASTER for good measure. This works well if you repeat this exact workout for 5 consecutive weeks. You will see results. There is a smidge of a risk of injury with this.

Hope it helps. ALso all others are good advise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned in a few other posts, nothing you do now will improve your fitness for a 10k in 2 weeks. I would recommend against going to the track and running too much volume if you're not used to it. Try running some short time trials (2 miles in 12 minutes), then do some easy jogging to recover and 4-6 400m repeats also around 6 minute mile pace so you get comfortable running faster than your goal race pace. These shorter workouts shouldn't mess up your legs as much for the 10k in two weeks. Also, make sure you take 3 or 4 days leading up to the race easy and do some easy strides after each run to keep your turnover crisp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Where is your race?"

Nashville, on a pancake flat course, which is unusual for around here, and one reason I think it's feasible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your already there but I'll through in my 2 cents. If you can get to a track once a week that will help. It takes a few weeks to get comfortable with track running and track workouts. My favorite is one mile repeats. with 220 (1/2 lap) walking recovery. If you can do "Seven and Seven" (seven one mile repeats at seven minute pace) you should be able to break 40 minutes. If you can do 7&7 at 6:30 per mile pace then you are sure to go under 39 minutes.

If you cannot get to a track my favorite speed practice is by counting telephone poles. It goes like this, fast for one pole/easy to the next pole, then fast for two poles/easy for one pole, then fast for three poles/easy for one pole, etc, up to five poles. Do that about three times in the middle of a six mile run.

Most importantly you do not need to "kill" yourself in training. Save your best performance for the race itself. Don't leave your best performance on the track in training!

My 10k pr is 37 minutes (while running about 20-25 miles a week, but doing alot of cycling too) using this approach FWIW.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Last edited by: Goodtime: Jul 1, 03 6:44
Quote Reply
Thank You for Chip Timing [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As hard as it may be to believe, 39:59. It wasn't pretty, as I crumpled on the way in with a 6:37 mile 6 and 1:21 for the last 0.2, but I made it. Now I gotta find myself a flat 5k in the next few weeks to atone for that freakin' 19:02 a couple of years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Thank You for Chip Timing [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yahoo! Congratulations! Well done! Let's get the Champagne out to celebrate!

...and thanks for the update...
Quote Reply