Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replica Maillot Jaune
Quote | Reply
I saw it at the store over the weekend and carried it all the way to the checkout before putting it back. For some reason I've never thought twice about wearing Air Jordans or a replica football jersey, etc. etc., but yet I didn't feel like I could show up at my Saturday morning training ride wearing the Maillot Jaune. Which got me thinking that while I've seen zillions of USPS replica jerseys (and own one myself) I've never seen anyone riding in a replica Maillot Jaune, polka dot jersey, etc.

Just me?
Quote Reply
Re: Replica Maillot Jaune [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck I wont even were a similar color.

Difference is that the MJ is not a shirt, but an award. I wouldn't wear a replica olympic medal or replica heavy weight belt. A uniform is ok, but not the MJ. It's like a IM finisher shirt you don't wear it unless you earn it.

Save your MJ for the day you get to meet Lance and get his autograph.

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Last edited by: hpwvale: Jul 11, 03 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered both the USPS jersey and the Maillot Jaune from my LBS, but will wear the Maillot Jaune only on days when US Postal is in Yellow(If the LBS ever gets the F$%#& thing.) I agree with you. It seems kind of sacriligious to wear it riding. If you do, you had better spank all comers. I will wear the Yellow Jersey only when watching the Tour or under something else(yes under my dress shirt at work)

Kind of strange that other sports fans will wear the official champions apparel of their teams, but cyclists revere such things, realizing that you have to earn that one personally. I think a big part of the difference is that we actually go out and ride or race our bicycles, and many sports fans don't ever do the sports they watch, so we are more in touch with the meaning behind the clothes. I guarantee, if you could buy Super Bowl replica rings, you'd see one on the finger of every high school student in America.

It reminds me of a thread I saw some time ago discussing triathlon swag and props, talking about how you shouldn't wear the shirt unless you finished the race, and can't call yourself a triathlete unless you have done one in the past year, or finished an Ironman at least once, etc. There were some interesting thoughts on that subject.

Still, I find it deplorable that I should walk into my LBS two weeks before the Tour starts and find that they not only don't have team jerseys or leader jerseys, but that they have to special order them.(The manager then tells me that if USPS wins, they'll stock the team and yellow jerseys.) This is one of the few items I am actually willing to spend the $80 on, and both Trek and my LBS(the largest one in my area with 4 stores) seriously dropped the ball. Of course, I then go into another not so local shop, and they have everything in stock or on order. If only they weren't 30+ miles away.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Well done...(n/m) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing a guy wearing a replica Malliot Jaune to a race. It did fit in the rules as it did not have a sponsor's name on it. Needless to say, his name was mud after the first crit of the day, and it looked very poorly after it got all bloodied and torn up...

I wonder if the commisaire was feeling a bit sadistic that day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a quote from Friendly Bob's Bicycle Etiquette Journal:

"You can wear a replica Maillot Jaune on a Sunday morning ride as long as you first wear your replica Pope outfit to church."

-Marc
Quote Reply
Re: Replica Maillot Jaune - stupid people rant(abridged) [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, I alluded to this in my last post on the subject, but this morning something really ticked me off. To celebrate Lance's wearing the Yellow jersey, I put on my new USPS team jersey that I just got yesterday.(just the standard 2003 blue team jersey)

So the wife and I are at the supermarket, and at the checkout this guy who lives in my neighborhood (an acquaintance at best) walks by and says, "Come on, Jeff, I don't think you're good enough to be on their team." It didn't bother me so much, as living in Boston I am used to negative losers who never say anything nice to anyone, but once again, it underscores some massive hypocrisy towards cycling.

Why is it that all the fat beer-guzzling idiots in America can wear Tom Brady(or whoever your favorite QB is) jerseys, and no one walks up to them saying, "Um, excuse me sir, but I don't think you're actually Tom Brady. You had better remove that jersey now before someone sees you"? Merchandise is the driving force behind the NFL.

And I'm not dissing fat beer drinking idiots. I'm a skinny beer-drinking idiot, and one with a big mouth.

But I'm not allowed to represent what is basically the only team in any sport that I actually give a frag about? Does this mean I can't wear my Harpoon jersey anymore because I only drink their beer, but am not on the Harpoon team? Or maybe I should blot out the logos on all of my sports apparel and race jerseys because I'm not sponsored by any of them.

The Maillot Jaune, I agree. Maybe wear it at home or when watching the tour with some buddies(only if your guy is in yellow.) As for the rest, there is nothing I would like to see more than a bunch of people wearing their favorite team's jersey in public.

I noticed in yesterday's stage that there were HUNDREDS of people at the top of the biggest climb who were wearing all manner of polka dot clothing. Good for them. They're encouraging their heroes.

You gotta represent. As for me, I will be wearing this jersey every day for the rest of the tour, and I truly hope Lance wins.

Quote Reply