Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Canada bike course
Quote | Reply
any idea on the total vertical for IM Canada. Recommended cassette?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [John E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im going to be running a 50/34 compact with a 12-25 rear
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like Seasons Change, I too am running a 50/34 compact with a 12-25 rear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right around 5000 feet. Maybe 5200.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran a 53/39 and an 11-23 in 2008 and will be doing so again this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is the second day of the rest of your life if you started keeping track yesterday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping it's a swings and roundabouts situation. What goes up, eventually has to come down...........fingers crossed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compact with an 11-23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [charris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what was your split?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you know, i didn't find it too bad and the hills broke it up a bit aftera fairly dull first 80k or so.
i rode a 53/39 and 12-21 for about 5:08. felt i wasn't grinding up or anything. fastest split of the day was about 4:40 i think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone offering advice on what gearing is best for IMC based on what they have used should, at a minimum, give some details about their speed at IMC. Toecutter's gearing advice may be good for the very few that ride the course as fast as he can but is likely not good advice for the vast majority in the race who are much slower than him.

I've ridden IMC 4 times in the last 6 years, I'm now 56 (so older than most) and race at about 158 pounds. My bike splits are consistently around 5:52, which is way slower than the fast guys like toecutter but still ahad of 2/3 of the field. For people going that speed or slower, here is my experience and advice.

First year - 2005 - based on the advice of a couple of guys way faster than me, went with 53/38 front and 12-25 cassette. Was told this would be lots of gears to spin up the climbs. It wasn't for me. IT WASN'T EVEN CLOSE!

Next three times I went with a compact 50-34 and 12-27. This is about right for me. I use the 34-27 a fair bit on the steeper and longer climbs and at Yellow lakes when I am trashed, I am grateful to have it.

In addition to racing IMC, in my non racing yearsI have stood on the yellow lakes climb cheering others on. It is obvious that for most of the field, those with real low gearing spinning up the climb are way, way more comfortable than those grinding away in lower gears.

For most of the field, (at least those going my speed or slower) 50/34 with a 12/27 cassette is the way to go.

Grant

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 1430m. I rode the course on Friday with a 53/39 and a 12-25 cassette. I'm 5'8 and 155lbs. My target power for the whole ride was about 190 watts so I kept that plus 10% going up Richter and up by Yellow Lake. I probably could have used a 27 on the rear cassette but I didn't think it was absolutely necessary. On the climbs my cadence never dropped below 55, maybe even 60. I wasn't grinding away on the climbs at that cadence, I was just trying to keep the power and heart rate low by sort of dancing up the climb.

The ride ended up taking me about 5:53, on a NP of 172 watts. Actually a lot slower than I had planned but thats because I grossly underestimated the heat. I wrote up a bit on the ride on my blog (linked below).

At the end of the day I'm inclined to more or less agree with Forsler, above or below the 6 or 5:45 hour mark is probably the cusp of going with a standard crank versus a compact, but having a 27 on the back as a bail out gear is probably a good idea either way. For the first 50 km out to Osoyoos and the last 20 or 30km back into Penticton though you'll be using your biggest gears.

Raf
http://www.shutuplegs.org
Last edited by: raflopez: Aug 9, 11 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Bike course profile (IMC 2010) - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47069332

Have ridden the course (or sections of it) 5+ times, always on a standard crank with a 12/25. There are some fast sections so you will need your big gears, but need to ensure you have enough for the climbs and the rollers. IMC is not that hilly - a 12/25 should be more than appropriate, but agree with Forsler that if 12/27 may be appropriate if you cannot spin up the hills in the 39/25.

Agree with the raflopez post re: standard vs. compact.

IMHO this is not the time to be changing your crank or your cassette if you have not trained with that set up. You've done the work to get here - don't second guess it. Taper time is for rest and recovering, not retooling. Stick with what you know.
Last edited by: lostinT2: Aug 9, 11 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to take away from the Thread, but we might be getting a group together on the Wed of race week to ride the course( possibly minus the out-and-back) - obviosuly this is for people who are not racing or for crazies that are!!

Not to put people off, but the front of this group should be fairly fit 5:00 - 5:30 IM bike split types. If interested please send me a PM.

Thanks

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I am cognizant that this is a murky question, how does this bike course compare to IMLP. I'm from New York coming out to do IMC. Really looking forward to it as I have heard amazing things about this race. I have read many threads here concerning the bike course, which have been very helpful as I will not really be able to pre-ride the course.

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riden the course many many times, raced the course twice - both times my bike split was 5:09 (of interest however was that my power difference was about 8 watts difference year to year due to the wind).

Both times i used a 53/39 with an 12-25 on the back

This year i have been concentrating on spinning more while climbing and want to keep my cadence a little higher on the climbs so i have moved to an 11-28 on the back. I have been training on this cassette and it gives me a similar gear (not quite as small) to that of a 34 front 25 rear which is on my road bike. The guys at my LBS laughed at me for putting the 28 on but i find that pushing the big gear on the climbs hurts me later on when riding the flats.

Good luck and make sure to have fun. It is the best tri race/event i have ever participated in.
Last edited by: triracerboy: Aug 9, 11 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also rode a 53/39 with a 12-25, and had no issues with the climbs. I could not see myself riding compacts on this course. While it may be nice on the climb portions, you really are giving up that 'free speed' on the backside of the Richter, and down each roller in to Keremeos, once you spin out on that 50T. I'd recommend sticking with a 53/39 setup, and go 12-25 or maybe 12-27 on the rear, if you are concerned about the climb portion.

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode 6:21. Probably had a 6 and change in me on a good day, but nervous on the descents + borderline hypothermia + dog ate my homework = 6:21.

The guys I mentioned in that other thread are 5:2X/5:3x guys, so I think Forsler's advice is bang on.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [sevenride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both courses have a moderate amount of climbing. What is different is the timing of the climbing, if you will. At LP there is less room for error on the climbs - over-cook yourself, and you can really wreck the rest of your race. At IMC, there is greater room for error - and potentially taking some risks. At IMC the big climbs come at Richter Pass and at Yellow Lake. You hit Richter after going downhill for nearly 60K and typically with a slight tailwind - That first 60 K for vets and experienced folk is a possible place to gamble a little. Yellow Lake is the other way around - it's a tough climb, but once over the top part of it it's all downhill for about 20k back to T2 - so again, if you have some experience and are confident in your fitness, you can press it in the run up to Yellow lake and then the climb itself with a bit more vigor knowing it's all downhill after that.

At IMLP - I think being conservative most of the way around is always the better approach.

If you know what you are doing, have the confidence and the fitness and get a good day, the IMC bike course can be reasonably "fast" despite the climbing that it has.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Sorry to take away from the Thread, but we might be getting a group together on the Wed of race week to ride the course( possibly minus the out-and-back) - obviosuly this is for people who are not racing or for crazies that are!!

Not to put people off, but the front of this group should be fairly fit 5:00 - 5:30 IM bike split types. If interested please send me a PM.

Thanks

-------
That might require me to actually do some training but I may well be up for it.

-------
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was your bike time on the course? I'm guessing if you are comfortably pushing those gears you are relatively fast.

Also, you are right that the compact crank gives up a little speed to the regular crank on the descents but the descents last so little time while the climbs last so long. I am far more concerned about being comfortable on the climbs. and later on the run.

Grant

Last edited by: Forsler: Aug 9, 11 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank You, very good advice. That's exactly what I did at Placid and I think I babied it too much. I really respected the climbing there and ran out of course to attack. Lesson learned. However, after seeing the carnage on the marathon I was happy I held back a bit. Being a rookie on this course, I was planning on going at a moderate pace and pick some spots to to push the pace but then attack Yellow Lake in anticipation of the downhill. Can't wait.

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [Forsler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly would not say I had a particularly fast bike split (over 6), but yeah, I am pretty comfortable pushing those gears in the hills, and would not sacrifice having that 53 on the front just to drop to the 34. Would probably consider going to a 27 in the rear before dropping to compacts.

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [otto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be riding a 53/39 with a 12/27 this year. They've served me really well during training rides here in Oregon including some good climbs on Hwy 242 and Mary's Peak.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course [sevenride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sevenride wrote:
Thank You, very good advice. That's exactly what I did at Placid and I think I babied it too much. I really respected the climbing there and ran out of course to attack. Lesson learned. However, after seeing the carnage on the marathon I was happy I held back a bit. Being a rookie on this course, I was planning on going at a moderate pace and pick some spots to to push the pace but then attack Yellow Lake in anticipation of the downhill. Can't wait.

or maybe just ride steady up yellow lakes and save the attacking for the last 7 miles of the marathon.

Grant

Quote Reply

Prev Next