Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's see your ride! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets discuss.....: )

1..Nope.....no frames bigger then that one. It's the largest one made by Look.
2..This pic is taken just as I'm cresting a bridge, so my elbows are back a bit with a choke down on the extensions. Thus my hands are lower then normal, thus arms are slightly down more then normal and I'm sitting up a tad more then normal.
3. If I move those darn pads any further forward I won't be able to friggin' reach them. My upper body is very short and curved which makes it even more short. btw - I have a bunch of Schmol (sp?) nodes in my back, as well as 3 broken vertebrae, from numerous bike crashes.

When I was a cop we had to be measured for a bullet proof vest. The measurement is upper body/torso length. Now I'm 6-3 and no where near a standard "tall" bullet proof vest. My vest was the same length as someone less then 5' 8" tall. My torso fits a very short person!!!

I will ride with level arms when not climbing as I ride with my hands together and sitting on top of the shifters. If I grab down on the extensions everything changes on the forearms and back.

It really is a tough fit as my long a** legs and long forearms makes it hard. If I rode a bike with less then 15cm of drop I may as well ride a road bike on the tops : ) You should see the drop on my road bike? : ) And I don't ride that aggressively at all as I use it for "easy" rides on off days, yet the drop is mind numbing to look at.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say he's more like Matty Reed.

Arms pointed down seems to always be to compensate for bars too low.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What ever you guys...... Compensation has nothing to do with it.

I find that if I am "down" in my best aero position, my arms pointed down slightly allow me to "stay" there. If my arms are up or level I feel like I need to sit up all the time. Sitting up using the base bar on the Xentis ain't all that great. The bars will force you to stay on the extensions : )

I think for alot of tall guys, the arms down seems to allow you to "fall" down into a nice position. It has to be a long way down when your arms and legs are as long as mine. It's a very nice feeling to be able to fall into position and then just stay there without any effort at all. Anything less then 15cm of drop and you guys when be yelling "sail"......"get lower", "remove spacers", "why do you even have a TT frame"...at that drop I'd be sitting nearly bolt straight up. Trust me.....been there done that, and took alot of Sh*t for a bad aero position.

Please note, that, again, in the photo above I am actually sitting up and choked up ALOT on the extensions so my arms are MUCH more down then normal. Look at where the shift levers are.....that's how far I'm choked up, I'm normally much further forward with my hands covering and on top of the shift levers.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [596] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I find that if I am "down" in my best aero position, my arms pointed down slightly allow me to "stay" there. If my arms are up or level I feel like I need to sit up all the time.

Look (no pun intended), I am not criticizing you or calling you names or anything like that, just offering my opinion. So please don't take this personally or as an insult.

But read your second sentence above, compensation has everything to do with it. The reason arms pointed down allows you to stay there, is because when your arms point down your elbows and body go up. The reason you can stay there is because it means your position isn't too low and is made sustainable by artificially raising your body by poiting your arms down.

If your arms are level or slightly up, the reason you need to sit up all the time is because you are too low.

Simply rotate your bars up and down in the stem and take some pics (if those bars can do that). For the same exact stack, there will be a huge variation in torso height between bars pointed down (high) and bars pointed up (low).

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trust me, at my age I don't take anything personally. I'm way too old for all that bull.

I've tried what you are suggesting many times. I fact over the years I've ridden with as little drop as 9cm. I still could not stay down without my arms pointing slightly down. I tried the level thing at 9cm - 15cm drop and it sucked! I hated it. Felt as though someone was pushing up at me all day.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pic after the 20 mile test ride last Saturday. Can't wait for ride # 2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your riding position aside, that is a really nice bike. I'd love to have one of those Looks one day. How do you find all the integrated stem/cranks/seatpost? I guess you're taking advantage of the eccentric fitting in the cranks to make those crank length adjustments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey you may be in the perfect position for you. but you and cadel make my head hurt, and I am tall too.

I want to work with you and find out WHY the position works for some people.. OR prove that its madness!

=)

596 wrote:

I find that if I am "down" in my best aero position, my arms pointed down slightly allow me to "stay" there. If my arms are up or level I feel like I need to sit up all the time. Sitting up using the base bar on the Xentis ain't all that great. The bars will force you to stay on the extensions : )

I think for alot of tall guys, the arms down seems to allow you to "fall" down into a nice position. It has to be a long way down when your arms and legs are as long as mine. It's a very nice feeling to be able to fall into position and then just stay there without any effort at all. Anything less then 15cm of drop and you guys when be yelling "sail"......"get lower", "remove spacers", "why do you even have a TT frame"...at that drop I'd be sitting nearly bolt straight up. Trust me.....been there done that, and took alot of Sh*t for a bad aero position.

Please note, that, again, in the photo above I am actually sitting up and choked up ALOT on the extensions so my arms are MUCH more down then normal. Look at where the shift levers are.....that's how far I'm choked up, I'm normally much further forward with my hands covering and on top of the shift levers.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [DuGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that saddle really that huge or is it just the angle?

(Gorgeous roadie by the way...)
Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [Local Star] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice ride. I've got an earlier LOOK 555 with SRAM Force/Red combo as my roadie. Great bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [Reparto Corse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now there is a bike you don't see everyday. Never been a fan of the Celeste color, but it certainly stands out.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Look proprietary parts are awesome. The integrated seat mast is really nice, the post just slides in and stays there, you'd might not even have to tighten it down, no way it can slip down into the mast due to the design. It's actually sitting on top of the mast. You get 3 elastomers, hard, medium and soft to put on the post and helps absorb road shock. Works really well.

The stems are great too. You can change the drop in about 3 minutes. Loosen the bolt and move the stem up and down on the pivot bolt. The only thing is that as you change the position and move the stem up and down , the stem is moving in an arc, so you have to be careful with the reach.

The cranks are super super light and you can adjust the length of the cranks by changing the position of the pedal axle from 175 to 172.5 to 170 lengths. With the huge bearings in the bb, they turn very very easily.

I really like the head tube.....there is none. The fork stem does not go thru the frame. The fork mounts into the front of the frame. There are 2 bearings, one on top and bottom of the frame that hold the fork in. Super easy to adjust and service. The fork area where a headtube should be is thinner then any head tube I've ever seen.

The only thing I found difficult was the front brake. It has to be mounted before you mount the fork. The bolt is between the front of the frame and the fork. Once the fork is put on, you can't get to the brake bolt.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack,

I think my position is due to back problems as much as me being tall. I can take a few pics of me on the bike and post them if you like. There's a certain position and drop that will allow me to relax and stay down. Other higher positions or arms being at a higher angle and I feel as though I'm being pushed up. If I use a huge drop, arms slightly down, my back and body "fall" into postion and I can stay there relaxed. With 15cm of drop I am sitting nearly bolt upright. It looks really stupid to be on a tri bike and sitting nearly straight up when i'm in my aerobars : ) I've had alot of people comment on my upright position when I'm at 15cm of drop.

I've been at this for 22 years. I've tried alot of different postions and been fitted numerous times by bike shops over the years.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats great to hear. As you'd appreciate, you don't see many of these bikes around so its hard to know if all the Look innovations work on not. Would you say it was good value for money, compared to sourcing all that stuff (post/cranks/stem/pedals) from someone else? Or I guess perhaps the $$ are not really the most important issue here.

One of my local shops used to stock Look but have none this year, stating that the bikes are too complex and they were worried about warranties and extensive after sales issues. From your experience, it looks like the opposite might be true. Frankly, I think they were looking to focus more on the more mainstream (Trek/Giant) bikes alongside the exotics like Cervelo/Pinarello/Cippolllini and Look just aren't that big a presence here so something had to give for shop floor space. Shame really, the new gen Look are pretty sweet to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually the bike is not all that expensive when considering the proprietary parts that come with the package. The cranks and BB are priced at $1,000, the pedals are probably in the $350 range, take away the need for the headset ($200) and seat post ($150) and the frame and fork are under $2,800. I bought the package before they were even available anywhere in the world. I waited 5 months for delivery.

I think the bike is worth every single penny. Its a fantastic bike. Workmanship is second to none. I love the design. I like bikes that you don't see very often. Maitenance is near zero. Its now over 2 years old and other then regreasing the fork bearings, which took about 2 minutes and didn't even need to be done, I've not had any problems or issues with it. I clean it and ride it!!!

The money was not a consideration......I showed my wife a picture of the bike well before they were available.....I was riding Zipp 2001's at the time. I loved the suspension of the Zipp. Well, the 596 has the elastomer in the seat post. I told my wife about it and she immediately asked me when I was ordering one. I told her the price and she looked at me like I was stupid for not having ordered it already : ) I ordered it the next morning from a bike shop in Michigan. Well, it was at my door 5 months later. I ordered it well before they were shown at Inter-Bike in Vegas that year.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw - there really is no bottom bracket as we know it. 2 huge bearings inset into the frame. The crank set has no real axle either. It's mounted like an old BMX bike. The crank arms are attached and you pass the non-drive crank arm through the frame and tighen it in with a nut.....done. Everything is one piece and super super light. Apparently the lightest crankset/bb made.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racked and ready at CdA.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've sold me. Shame they're about double the price here in Australia - even though our dollar is stronger than yours. (Work that out - & shops wonder why we buy on the internet......) Let me know if yours ever comes onto the market!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Soloist Team in tri setup. Ready for 70.3 Philippines
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its huge
I occasionally try to talk her into a less cushy one =)

hillier99 wrote:
Is that saddle really that huge or is it just the angle?

(Gorgeous roadie by the way...)
Brad

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know, and Cadel Evans seems to be pretty experienced too.

That's why this sort of position makes me twitch. I don't understand and people are doing it who probably do understand =)

596 wrote:
I've been at this for 22 years. I've tried alot of different postions and been fitted numerous times by bike shops over the years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racked after the race... the background looked cool. Wanted a nice picture outdoors before heading back to school for a winter of indoor riding.

Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your ride! [DuGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely can't compare to those $10,000 superbikes out there, but here's mine. 2011 Cannondale Slice Hi-Mod.
Sorry bout the poor quality though... iPhone 3GS

Any thoughts/comments will be gladly appreciated!

----------------------------------------------------------
2011 Cannondale Slice
Eat. Sleep. Swim. Bike. Run. Win
Last edited by: rycyt: Aug 10, 11 7:29
Quote Reply

Prev Next