Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Obree's and Boardman's Time Trial Positions
Quote | Reply
Certainly Obree's and Boardman's (and others) time trial positions deom the 90s have been outlawed in professional and olympic cycling. But, what about triathlons. Are either the superman position (arms stretched out in front of the torso) or the chest on the hands positions specifically forbidden in tris? I remember that John Cobb's website used to have a picture of a rider in a superman type position and the caption stated something to the effect that are groupers might be interested in the low drag numbers such a position produced.

Also, on a related note, at least for track pursuit and hour records attempts, these position were faster. Yet, it looks like there is much less "leverage" availible in these positions. So, did the aero advantage of these position simply outweigh the apparrent loss of power?

Any thoughts??

DavidK
Quote Reply
Re: Obree's and Boardman's Time Trial Positions [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leverage? Why would you use your arms as levers?

It certainly didn't affect Chris, as the Superman Hour Record, was done at an average of 442 W

Ric

http://www.cyclecoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems to me that mainting that position for longer than an hour would be very uncomfortable. It almost seems like it would be very difficut to breathe IMO. Would you have adequate control in that position. Imagine a "crowded" bike leg and you are in that position and a guy mves to the left as you begin to overtake could get ugly

yuck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with the Superman position is that it is really uncomfortable. Most of us have enough trouble getting low and aero as it is. Trying to jump on a bike with your arms extended while your arms are burning from the swim would be really tough.

That said, I was thinking about trying to set up a bike that way with an Ergostem and some long aerobars. I was discouraged when I talked to a guy who had actually played around with the position in a windtunnel. His drag numbers were HIGHER in the Superman position than in his regular position on the aerobars. So I decided to put off my Superman position experiment until I get a windtunnel set up in the garage.
Quote Reply