Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Back" in Pain
Quote | Reply
Well, I've done it again. Now my low back went out after an easy core workout (bend over lightly and BOOM). Might be the straight leg crunches.

I've done this before, to varying degrees (thanks to some degeneration just about the tailbone). This was the first time in about 2 or 3 years, though.

Advice? Let me hear your pinched back stories/remedies. Ice and advil really don't seem to do much. Neither do chiros or doctors. Best guess is I'll be riding in a few days, running and swimming in a week. Stack this on top of being sick for nearly a month, and my year is now over.

[edited to clarify title]

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Last edited by: Aztec: Mar 11, 05 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: "Back" in Black [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My advice to you is... stop... everything... for a month! Then start from ground zero. And use your voucher :-D

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Back" in Black [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop? Heh, I've barely been going for a month!

Besides, I lose fitness SO fast, it is shocking. I take forever to make gains, then barf 'em all back up in no time flat. This applies to everything physical -- endurance sports, strength/power, skills like golf, etc. So naturally, a loss of momentum is a major bummer as it takes me 2x or 3x as long to come back as others do.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Quote Reply
Re: "Back" in Pain [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By "pinched" do you mean disc pain proper or muscle/ligament/tendon pain...or both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly I think I am rapidly becoming the forum's leading expert on F$%^&* up backs.

I currently have a herniated disk and a diagnosis of spinal stenosis. Third bout in two years, unable to train for 2 months and in constant pain and not sleeping..... so that's what qualifies me.

First thought- work and work to find a physician, Phys therapist, Chiropracter etc. or other medical person that you TRUST. Ask other athletes, do homework and research like you were buying a custom bike. It's worth the time.

Next- get a good diagnosis so you know what's going on. MRI gave me some info I didn't previously have, but mostly it's a good physical therapist that has been working with me to get my flexibility back, strengthen by abdominals and glutes, etc. I finally had nerve root injection a couple weeks ago, another one in 10 days because I can't stretch or get completely rehabilitated with the constant pain, not to mention minor details like working and putting on my socks.

Everyone over 40 seems to have some back issues, keeping strength and flexibility seem to be the key factors from my research...

Good luck..........................................

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Re: "Back" in Pain [sp in az] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with SP that flexibility and strengthening is one key. Keep stretching and working on flexibility in your hamstring and hip flexor region. I tend to get really tight during the colder months so one thing I do is take a hot bath after long workouts in the cold to help keep things from getting tight and knotted up. I'm also getting massage therapy with a good therapist who knows which areas to really hit. You can google "lower back pain" and find all kinds of stretching and strengthening exercises.

In my experience with herniated disc and other ongoing back problems, I've found that it's a lot of trial and error and things just don't make sense at times. For me, working on flexibility and working out with weights seem to help the most. It also felt great for about 2 weeks after getting hit by a car and flying over the hood and into a culvert...so go figure. Some days it just feels good, and others it just doesn't. Take advantage of it on the days it feels good and don't worry too much about missing or altering your workout on days that it isn't cooperating.

Good luck with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have degenerative disc disorder, and 4 'slightly' herniated discs in my lower back (thanks dad!) and my advice is this: Get a strong dose of anti-inflammatory, rest a couple days, then take a.i's every morning and suffer through it. I'm always in varying degrees of pain (back pain is the worst isn't it? especially when it runs down your leg).

With back pain i've found that there really is no alternative other than to suffer through it, especially if it's chronic like mine is. My O.S is probably the best in the biz (and services the US. Crew Team) and basically told me the same thing. Work with it, find that one position where you can sleep comfortably, and take a.i's. But then again, i'm 27 so maybe I can 'take it' a little better.

But let me reiterate...STAY OUT OF THE OCEAN!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
straight leg crunches? Yikes!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: "Back" in Pain [The Nome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
By "pinched" do you mean disc pain proper or muscle/ligament/tendon pain...or both?

Beats me. It's that typical acute pain that suddenly hits when you least expect it. I first got it lifting weights awhile ago. Then again much worse in early 2002 when stiff-leg deadlifting (I twisted slightly and BAM). I had an MRI, which just showed a few thinning discs starting just above the tailbone. The last two episodes are the troubling ones -- once I was merely walking uphill, and the other was yesterday when I bent to pick up a stability ball.

I would guess this is some kind of pinched nerve. I have a reasonable range of motion front/side, but arching the back is a little hard unless sitting. Coughing is not much fun.

Funny thing is I've been working on flexibility a lot. And it's pretty good. My core is strong, just needed more endurance, which I started working on.

I have a good chiro, but I know from experience this is with me for awhile. The first time was MONTHS before I was back. The most recent was about a week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"pinched nerve" could be a lot of things - in my case bulging disk might be the cause, so could my spinal stenosis- my MRI was interpreted by one person one way and another in a different way. The pain radiating down my leg into my foot is definitely nerve related but hard to tell exact cause.

Backs aren't simple like broken legs, there are so many parts involved and so many possible resolutions I guess it's just "whatever works for you" eventually. Good luck

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar problems about ten years ago.
You said you were doing straight legged crunches? My physical therapist at the time told me specifically to never do those.
I only do back strengthening weight work nowadays. I was actually told I was too flexible by a couple of PT's and I don't even bother stretching any more. Your mileage and diagnosis may vary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I would guess its back muscles & disc problems. Most misalignment comes on or are felt as a numb hip or leg, with others as a quick shooting pain , as a pinched nerve or disc.
If I have the bent over at 45 degrees back "can stand up " I just leave it alone, as its more muscle spasms in the lower back / spine.

I have had great luck with Self chiro , putting you torso on a thick firm pad / pillow 6 - 8 inches thick, lay on one side with your knees together - legs bent & heels near your butt , ( like a laying down deep knee bend ). with the highest arm reaching straight behind you (to anchor -- hold a bed-dresser -- another person -- kid) this will hold you upper shoulders from turning. With your lower arm press on your bent knee cap gently, relax-exhale, you may push hard say 20 - 30 lb. on the knee.

You should feel a soft pop in the back/waist area, if not try the opposite side. Only your torso & feet should be on the pad, with most of your folded legs hanging over.

This is the same as a chiro would do,you just have less tension since your doing it. Try it only if you have pain that came out of nowhere, where you feel like you have a short leg / slight limp. The chiro throws his whole body on your knee, so your using a lot less pressure than that. There should be almost instant results to 5 minutes later .

Your basically twisting your vertebrae max left , max right , to get an even stack / center . Use at your own risk , worked on 20 people that I know, doing it.

[u][u]
Last edited by: Helitech: Mar 12, 05 5:10
Quote Reply