Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mapmyride to Garmin 800 (.GPX vs/to .FIT) problems
Quote | Reply
So I always used to create a ride on mapmyride and transfer it over to my Garmin 705 and life was peachy.

Now I have an 800 and I cannot get the rides recognized on the 800. Mapmyride still allows you to export them as .GPX files. THe 800 is only recognizing .FIT files. I googled how to convert or fix this and that fix won't work (it was just changed to file extension). I also checked at Garmin's help and they didn't have a clear explanation.

I searched on ST to no avail.

To make it more frustrating, I was going to just print the cue sheet at mapmyride, but you have to have a premium membership. Plus, the map only showed mile markers every 12 miles, not every mile (so I knew WHEN to turn). Mt. Palomar missed me b/c I could not get things to work:)

Does anyone have success creating a ride at mapmyride and getting over to their Garmin Edge 800 (particularily as a .FIT file)?

Thanks in advance.

Quote | Reply
Download the .GPX from MapMyRide, then import that file into Garmin Basecamp (http://www.garmin.com/.../onthetrail/basecamp, free) and then within Basecamp export to the 800. Has always worked for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Mapmyride to Garmin 800 (.GPX vs/to .FIT) problems [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Take the GPX from mapmyride (or any other site)
-Connect Garmin 800 to computer
-Browse garmin 800 on your computer (should appear as an attached/removable drive)
-Place the GPX file into the Garmin\NewFiles folder

Once you disconnect the garmin and power it up it should appear as a route - you may have to remember to turn on turn-by-turn within the course settings on the garmin if you'd like. Followed these exact steps for 3 or 4 courses used at a training camp this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Mapmyride to Garmin 800 (.GPX vs/to .FIT) problems [gordont] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gordont wrote:
Download the .GPX from MapMyRide, then import that file into Garmin Basecamp (http://www.garmin.com/.../onthetrail/basecamp, free) and then within Basecamp export to the 800. Has always worked for me.

Thanks. I'll give that a try tonight.

Quote | Reply
msaskin wrote:
-Browse garmin 800 on your computer (should appear as an attached/removable drive)

Once you disconnect the garmin and power it up it should appear as a route - you may have to remember to turn on turn-by-turn within the course settings on the garmin if you'd like. Followed these exact steps for 3 or 4 courses used at a training camp this weekend.

That is the exact thing I am doing and am pulling my hair out b/c it does not show up in the routes. When I look in the Garmin's route folder on my computer, I'll have both .GPX's and .FIT's, but on the 800 itself, only the .FIT's are showing up.

Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:
msaskin wrote:

That is the exact thing I am doing and am pulling my hair out b/c it does not show up in the routes. When I look in the Garmin's route folder on my computer, I'll have both .GPX's and .FIT's, but on the 800 itself, only the .FIT's are showing up.

Very odd. Do your file names/route names have particularly long names? I think I noticed some strange behavior when I had very long file names.
Quote Reply
Re: Mapmyride to Garmin 800 (.GPX vs/to .FIT) problems [msaskin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Solved it...I think. Could not just copy (or cut) and paste the file into the "courses" folder of the 800. After googling some more, someone suggested copy/cut and paste in the "new files" folder on the 800. After unplugging the 800 and turning it on, it takes a few moments longer and then the ride is now there under courses!!! Sure enough, when I replug in the 800 to my computer and go back to the folders and look, the ride is gone from the "new files" folder and in the "courses" folder AND converted to a.FIT file.

Phew! Thanks guys for the help and leads.

Quote | Reply
Re-read my response - that's exactly what I told you to do!! :)

Glad it's working for you - enjoy your routes with turn by turn navigation, I know I do.
Quote Reply
Re: Mapmyride to Garmin 800 (.GPX vs/to .FIT) problems [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Create your route in maps.google.com. Plug in Garmin. Run googlemap_cuesheet script (available at http://www.the-yosts.com) that you have put in your Bookmarks or Favorites in your browser. Press Send to Garmin. Ride your bike.

Free. Easy. Fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Mapmyride to Garmin 800 (.GPX vs/to .FIT) problems [msaskin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msaskin wrote:
Re-read my response - that's exactly what I told you to do!! :)

Glad it's working for you - enjoy your routes with turn by turn navigation, I know I do.

I'm a little bit of an idiot today. Just re-read your post.

Quote | Reply
Hah, no worries.

As another tip, not sure what site you use to map out rides, but I've found http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com to be helpful. It's free (and ad-free), and once you create an account you can save all of your previous routes to share or download again at a later date. It's a pretty minimal interface and a lot faster to use (in my opinion) than mapmyride or others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on bikeroutetoaster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also having issues getting gpx courses onto my 800. I follow these same steps for tcx files and they work fine. I feel like I have tried everything and can't figure out why.

I have tried downloading several rides (mostly from Mapmyride) as gpx files. I save them to my desktop (I even shortened the name just in case), then I drag and drop them into the "newfiles" folder on my Garmin. The do not show up under courses once I disconnect my Garmin and turn it on. I have also tried downloading the gpx directly into the "newfiles" folder with the same result.

I have the maps card, so my computer tells me I have two devices hooked up when I connect. One shows up as "Garmin" with the blue triangle, which is the device and then another shows up as a random drive, I assume this is the SD card with the maps. I have been dragging and dropping to the "Garmin" device, but also tried copying the gpx files to the SD card with no success.

I have downloaded communicatior and webupdater and everything says I am up to date.

What could I possibly be doing wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Mapmyride to Garmin 800 (.GPX vs/to .FIT) problems [Adam77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I have kind of figured out what is going on.

The problem seems to be the files that I am getting from Mapmyride. When I export either a route I created or one that I found from them (gpx files), it won't work on my 800. I went over to Ridewithgps and created a few routes and both the gpx and tcx files transfer over to my 800 and work fine.

I have no idea why I can't get routes from Mapmyride. I actually like the drawing tool in Ridewithgps much better and a few guys that I ride with are using that site now instead of Mapmyride, so I will just switch over as well.

I am still curious as to why the files from Mapmyride won't work though. Anybody else experience this or have any ideas? I use the free version of Mapmyride, could that be the reason?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having the same problem with my Garmin 310xt. The route I have previously taken is:
1) Export route to GPX file in mapmyride
2) Import GPX file into sportstracks
3) Create Route using the imported gpx
4) Push to 310xt as new route.

Sometime in July my ability to do step #2 broke down and the sportstracks kept telling me that the GPX file was invalid.

I compared the two GPX files created from mapmyride of the same route but created pre and post error and noted significant differences in formatting. So, I then went and manually copied and pasted the actual route date from GPX file #2 (post-error) to the GPX file #1 (pre-error) and attempted to make my file#2 look like file#1. It worked fine.
So, my hypothesis is that mapmyride introduced some small formatting error in their GPX output that is inconsistent with how sportstracks (and maybe your 800) expects to parse them.
Quote Reply
Re: Mapmyride to Garmin 800 (.GPX vs/to .FIT) problems [ironeric2010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use the same approach with garmin mapsource. GPX -> import Mapsource -> upload to garmin
Quote Reply
Re: Mapmyride to Garmin 800 (.GPX vs/to .FIT) problems [ironeric2010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironeric2010 wrote:
I'm having the same problem with my Garmin 310xt. The route I have previously taken is:
1) Export route to GPX file in mapmyride
2) Import GPX file into sportstracks
3) Create Route using the imported gpx
4) Push to 310xt as new route.

Sometime in July my ability to do step #2 broke down and the sportstracks kept telling me that the GPX file was invalid.

I compared the two GPX files created from mapmyride of the same route but created pre and post error and noted significant differences in formatting. So, I then went and manually copied and pasted the actual route date from GPX file #2 (post-error) to the GPX file #1 (pre-error) and attempted to make my file#2 look like file#1. It worked fine.
So, my hypothesis is that mapmyride introduced some small formatting error in their GPX output that is inconsistent with how sportstracks (and maybe your 800) expects to parse them.

I've spent the better part of the day looking all over the internet and what you are saying is consistent with stuff I have read. Many people are having issues with SOME of Mapmyride's gpx files in recent months. I don't know if this has anything to do with their recent site upgrade. I did get some of the gpx routes on the current site version of MMR to upload to my 800, but not all.

What I was able to figure out was that if you find a route on Mapmyride that you would like to import to your Garmin but can't, there is still hope. You can switch back to the classic view on MMR by going to the top of the page where it says "Hi [your name] click and choose from the drop down "view old site." Then pull up the ride you want to download. From there click on Route and Dowload to Garmin / CRS and you can use the drop down to choose either a gpx or tcx. Strangly, even some of the gpx routes that would not work on the new site worked when I uploaded them this way from the old site. I have had no issues with the tcx files from the old site, those have uploaded fine.

What a pain in the ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam77 wrote:
What I was able to figure out was that if you find a route on Mapmyride that you would like to import to your Garmin but can't, there is still hope. You can switch back to the classic view on MMR by going to the top of the page where it says "Hi [your name] click and choose from the drop down "view old site." Then pull up the ride you want to download. From there click on Route and Dowload to Garmin / CRS and you can use the drop down to choose either a gpx or tcx. Strangly, even some of the gpx routes that would not work on the new site worked when I uploaded them this way from the old site. I have had no issues with the tcx files from the old site, those have uploaded fine.

What a pain in the ass.

Cool beans...will try tonight. Thx for the info!
Quote Reply
Re: Mapmyride to Garmin 800 (.GPX vs/to .FIT) problems [gordont] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thisis not working for me. When I click on "Export this Route (GPX, KML) " in MapMyRide I get a screen wuth a button to "Download GPX File". When I click on this button I can save it to a file. What file am i supposed to save it to?
Thanks,
Craig
Quote Reply