Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight gain with Nuveu Ring?
Quote | Reply
I started using the Nuveu ring a few months before IMTX. The main goal of using the ring was to move my period so it didn't fall on race day. Since starting the ring I've gained 8 pounds. At first I attributed some the weight gain to tapering and post ironman Now I'm beginning to wonder if it is from the ring. My eating habits and workout hours haven't changed enough to warrant an 8 pound weight gain. BTW- I'm 47 and have no need to use the ring other than regulating my cycle for races. I did not gain weight after my other IM race. Last November I had surgery and couldn't workout for 6 weeks. During that time my weight stayed the same as it was pre-surgery.
Last edited by: milesaway: Jul 3, 11 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Weight gain with Nuveu Ring? [milesaway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nuvaring should not cause weight gain. I thought it was when I started using it, but now that I've used it a couple years, I've found it to be weight neutral. And it has less Estrogen than birth control pills. I suggest you give it a chance, but if you find it to still be increasing your weight (everyone is different), have the conversation w/ your health care professional.

I only use it for convenience too, but it really is nice to time your cycle as well as have lighter periods.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Wife used this for the past few years and noticed no weight gain. She recently decided to stop using it and that has been a different story. A quick internet search will reveal a plethora of horror stories about out of control weight gain caused by ending the use of the ring.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight gain with Nuveu Ring? [freds4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe she's pregnant ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Weight gain with Nuveu Ring? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
maybe she's pregnant ;-)

Well that would suck. Especially since I had a vasectomy in 1989.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesaway wrote:
I started using the Nuveu ring a few months before IMTX. The main goal of using the ring was to move my period so it didn't fall on race day. Since starting the ring I've gained 8 pounds. At first I attributed some the weight gain to tapering and post ironman Now I'm beginning to wonder if it is from the ring. My eating habits and workout hours haven't changed enough to warrant an 8 pound weight gain. BTW- I'm 47 and have no need to use the ring other than regulating my cycle for races. I did not gain weight after my other IM race. Last November I had surgery and couldn't workout for 6 weeks. During that time my weight stayed the same as it was pre-surgery.

Hmmmmmm, the beautiful thing about the Nuvaring is that it is 1/80th the amount of hormones that you would otherwise take orally to get the same effect. I tend to be really sensitive to BC (i get that crawling out of my skin feeling) and I actually use the Nuvaring to regulate my cycle since I am peri-meno not for pregnancy prevention. I didn't notice any weight gain at all and actually had a bit of a loss of appetite which resulted in some weight loss so I was actually grateful *lol* My trainer and gyno always remind me that anything 9 pounds and under is usually water weight lost or gained not muscle or fat... so maybe try upping your water intake for a bit (causing a flushing action) and maybe it will resolve itself.

~LBB

I am an avid cyclist who is also the co-owner and buyer for Low Country Multisport a performance specific F.I.S.T. certified fit studio and repair shop in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. And, I just happen to be married to a retired Marine who is completely addicted to the iron distance. "lord help my wallet!!"
Last edited by: lilbluebirds: Jul 21, 11 6:22
Quote Reply