Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to LA(Pasadena)...where to train?
Quote | Reply
I just got to Pasadena and will be here at least through the summer. I would really appreciate any training suggestions. I am doing IMCanada in 7 wks and I have no ideas on where to ride, run, or swim in the area. Also any knowledge of good group rides or swims or group trackwork/interval sessions would be great. Any good trail runs in the area? I'd even be interested in some good roadie rides. I'm also looking for a good local pool. I'm available to train at just about any time of the day and I'm willing to drive up to an hour to get some good long rides in if necessary.

Also, is this one of those areas that is supposed to be very smoggy? Do you train through it or is better to train indoors on a particularly smoggy day?

Any insight at all on training in the area would be great. I'm going to check out the LA tri club website but are there any other sites I should check? (running, roadie, tri, or swim) The move was very spur of the moment so I didn't have time to research before coming.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: New to LA(Pasadena)...where to train? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
socalcycling.com has rides
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Der_Kaiser [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Angeles Crest Highway is probably my favorite training ride anywhere. Lots of hills, lots of empty roads and lots of variety. LATriClub has a weekly (Saturday) ride up there. I believe the guy who leads it, Mark Jean, does IMC every year so I bet he's gearing up now.

Dan posted a century that includes the best (though not the most accessible) part of this ride a while back.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...style/centuries.html

From Pasadena, you would go to Flintridge/La Canada and then up Highway 2 through Clear Creek and past the Mt. Wilson turnoff at Red Box.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: New to LA(Pasadena)...where to train? [Rich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I lived up there, I always preferred Big Tujunga Canyon Road to get up the mountain. I've done that ride many times and seen one or two cars. Route 2 up from Pasadena/La Canada is packed with speeding cars. Too scary for me.

You can follow Foothill or Orange west over to where you get on Big Tujunga (check yahoo maps for details). Go up Big T to Angeles Crest; turn right to go to Mt. Wilson. Turn left to go over to the Antelope Valley and Slowman territory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to mix it up with some roadies I would suggest going to the Rose Bowl on Tuesday or Thursday evenings (6:00). There is usually about 80-100 riders whizzing around at about 25-30 mph. They go for about an hour, it is a good workout.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply