Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

3 times the distance of Ironman?
Quote | Reply
I know something like this exists because I've seen it a couple of years ago on Eurosport. They swam in a 50 meter pool something around 10k, then biked 540k, and finished with 120k of running. And this wasn't like that Ultraman thing, this was continious[sp] with stops for eating and resting, but not a whole night's sleep.

-I have no idea what it's called, but it ends in -thlon (that's a surprise..).

Anyone have any info on this?
Quote Reply
Re: 3 times the distance of Ironman? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope someone was counting their laps, hell I loose count when I let go of the wall.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 times the distance of Ironman? [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This wasn't what I was looking for, but there's a thing called DecaTriathlon.

It's 10 Ironmans; 38k swim, 1800k bike, 420k run.

Holly crap!
Last edited by: freestyle: Jul 9, 03 12:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats like a Susan Powter nightmare! STOP THE INSANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 3 times the distance of Ironman? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.triathlonweb.nl/dutch/records.htm

Looks like there's a double-deca triathlon, but there's only one record (i'm guessing only one finished?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's actually called a Triple-Ironman Triathlon. My club's advisor is the three time Triple "world champ" hence my knowledge of the distance/moniker. Most people refer to them as "triples".
Last edited by: bryanjaf: Jul 9, 03 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was checking into this last week, because apparently I'm insane.

I looked at the results of the triple iron distance race, and the highest bib number was 11. The total number of finishers was 3, with six people listed. One was DQ'd, and two received credit for a double iron distance when the time ran out. You only have 60 hours to complete it.

7.2/336/78.6 Let's go!!!!

(Okay, so I finished my first half iron race 2 weeks ago and am suffering delusions of grandeur. My wife has slapped me several times, but it isn't helping.)

This is the official web site of crazy people:

http://www.oarevents.com/home.asp

If you're only demented, you can do their iron distance off road race.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 3 times the distance of Ironman? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm not as insane as all that, but I did check out the description for the Odyssey Triple in Virginia. Here's the scary thing: the web page "hit counter" at the bottom shows 196,000 hits. That's a LOT more people than I would expect to be even remotely interested in a triple ironman.

Lee
Quote Reply
Re: 3 times the distance of Ironman? [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you all go...IronMan wussies!!!! You think you are tough? Think you are strong? Sign on up...

Meredydd Deca-Ironman!!!

24 Mile Swim

1120 Mile Bike

262 Mile Run

You can sleep, but that is time against you...current world record is 8 days and 8 minutes...

You think 17 hours for IronMan is to short...at least these guys give you 14 days to do it.

http://www.challenge-meredydd.net/index.htm

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: 3 times the distance of Ironman? [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three time world triple champ... Slap him for me.

Thank you.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: 3 times the distance of Ironman? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be able to slap him yourself. He (http://www.badwaterultra.com/2003web/entrants/bergland.html) is running the Badwater Ultra (http://www.badwaterultra.com/) -- 135 mile run through Death Valley in the middle of July. It is my understanding that he will be getting print coverage in a major sports pub. Just tear out the picture, put it on your wall and smack accordingly. When the mag deal is official I will let you know.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 times the distance of Ironman? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In all fairness, when only three people complete the whole thing before the cutoff and you beat the next guy by 13 hours, your likelihood of winning increases greatly, assuming you don't die 50 miles into the run. Or sooner.

Still, a slap, and props, are in order for that sick, sick, very fit man. 45 hours for a triple? I wonder what his ironman PR is. Let's see, apply the handy Ironman multiplier pace calculation.....

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: 3 times the distance of Ironman? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not know what his pr is but he went 9:33 at IM Brazil 2003 (finished around #30). Prior to the race he commented to me that he had not had much saddle time this year. My sense is at his peak he could go low with a nine handle.
Quote Reply