Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TDF - Team TT tomorrow - any bets?
Quote | Reply
I'll go with Team ONCE based upon their consistant performances in the past several years. Would like to see CSC do well, but I'll give them only an outside shot now that Tyler has a broken clavicle. Any gentlemen's bets against ONCE?
Quote Reply
Re: TDF - Team TT tomorrow - any bets? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just for fun I'll pick a team besides USPS, ONCE, and CSC. Not sure who it will be, but not any of those 3. I'd give USPS the nod over ONCE this year though. It appears from the prologue that Pena, Ekimov, and George are all riding well. ONCE will miss Igor and that's why I defer to USPS. I'll give USPS & ONCE, 2nd & 3rd, with some surprise winner.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With USPS starting last this year I think you need to give the edge to them. Strong showings in the prologue and although Eki is a little banged up they should ride really well. The interesting thing will be to see Pena in yellow, not lance.

Also look for Bianchi to put in a strong showing.

Neal
Quote Reply
ONCE is Dead, or at least passed out [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever happened to the Lightspeed team? Lotto Dedsomthingorother. Maybe I'm just being rebelious and off color, but I'm going to lean towards them winning something. Though USPS won't be far behind. Assumning these teams stop crashing.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: TDF - Team TT tomorrow - any bets? [Justin on LI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have looked to CSC before Tyler got banged up. However right now, I think Telekom might have a chance. With Botero, Zabel, and Vinokourov, you have some serious power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are my predictions

1. USPS

2. Telekom

3. ONCE

4. C.A.

5. Cofidis

6. Bianchi

7. CSC

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Stating the obvious and a surprise [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think FDjeux could well surprise a few people, they seem really really motivated and up for it.

Look for big things from ONCE and USPS but I think Bianchi have a lot riding on this as well so I'd look to those two faves and FDJ and Bianchi as well placed / winning outsiders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ONCE and postal ought to be 1-2 because they're the most professionally run teams in the tour, and professionalism cancels out superior individual strength in the TT (and these teams have both).

i think CSC gets in there as well. yes, tyler's banged up, but i don't think that will hurt the team, tyler's going to inspire sastre and the rest of the team to ride well. top-6 for them.

i'd also love to see rabobank do well with their 7 remaining riders. with levi and lotz they'd have been the consensus pick for 3rd.

yes, bianchi and telekom ought to be picked because of the strength of their traditionally strong riders. but who wants it more? FDJeux wants the yellow back. mcgee and cooke will be good--OZ is traditionally strong in team pursuit. jimmy casper can't help with his neck in a brace, and riding today's stage off the back. but in the giro's first ITT two FDJ riders who'll ride tomorrow took 9th and 14th, and 6th and 20th in the second TT, that's in addition to the aussies. otherwise, they're fielding a lot of fresh riders who won't have ridden the giro.

cofidis also wants it, because miller is close to the yellow and this is that team's best chance to get it for him. they also have mechanics who are very motivated to keep the chains on the bikes.

and nobody is talking about simoni for the GC, and he has to wonder what he's got to do to get some respect? saeco has had a quiet first 4 days, but they'll be loud tomorrow. unfortunately, maybe not enough horses.

so it's:

1. postal
2. once
3. cofidis
4. FDJ
5. CSC

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: TDF - Team TT tomorrow - any bets? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and the best thing about the TTT is ???.......................

the cool photos on the net the day after.

They make a years worth of backgrounds for my computer !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
once
postal
telekom
cofidis
Quote Reply
Re: TDF - Team TT tomorrow - any bets? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would put less stock in having good time trialers on the team, a lot of them are horrible team time trialers. Just look at CSC, Tyler is a good TTTer but the core of the team in the TTT are guys like Bluadzun, Peron and Jalabert, OK time trialers but not top-notch. Remember how Lemond and Boardman used to kill their team.

I agree with you on Rabobank, they would have been a strong contender. They may still do OK. But there are a few hills in this course, and one or two guys with bad legs on the first hill and they'll have to wait for them.

I'd pick USPS, just because they won't loose a single guy on the first hill. Same is probably true for Bianchi and ONCE. Unfortunately I don't think the same can be said for FdJ, Cofidis or CSC (I am most worried about Piil, more so than Tyler).

But I can see CSC anywhere from first to sixth. Remember that if do well enough (beat USPS among others), they could put Tyler in yellow. Unlikely for sure, but at this point it's all mental and they just may display the kind of determination usually found in a team AFTER getting the yellow.

So:
1) CSC :-)
2) USPS
3) Bianchi
4) ONCE
5) CA
6) CSC :-(

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: TDF - Team TT tomorrow - any bets? [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going go out on a limb and pick a team that nobody else has mentioned to finish in the top 3:

Gerolsteiner

Why? Yes, they have strong individual time trialists...but they also have the same guys who have done very well in the 2-man TTT's. I still believe the top spot(s) will be taken up by USPS, ONCE, or Bianchi, but I'm picking Gerolsteiner to beat one of them off the podium.

Hey! It's kinda shaky out here...

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: TDF - Team TT tomorrow - any bets? [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bianchi!!! ullrich!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pick before the tour was Gerolsteiner and CSC but after seeing 4 USP's in the top 12 of the prologue I dont think you can go past them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gerolsteiner: Very good pick, not just because of Rich and Peschel but Rebellin is also quite good in a TTT. And don't forget Udo Bolts, he is one of the best. Certainlythe best TTTer to ever finish an Ironman :-)

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply