Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post here to donate $5 and show you've got Heart :)
Quote | Reply

http://ironheartracing.com/
Last edited by: Salmon Steve: Jun 30, 11 4:08
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumour has it he peed in his wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.marca.com/...rtes/1309033096.html (you can translate it to English using Chrome or Google xlate)

Wiltshire kept trying to push Gomez to the outside of the pack to make him spend more energy

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is true the strongest possible sanctions should apply to not only Wiltshire but the british team.

Sure you can apply team tactics to advantage your own team members, but not to deliberately impede the progress of other athletes.

If it is true, the British have basically said "you sacrifice your race to ensure Javier is impeded".

It's a disgraceful act if true.

Sit all British athletes out of the next round. The strongest possible action must be taken.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [The Real Animal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I haven't read the article, can't figure out how to translate it.

But...

If it were a deliberate act on the part of the British team I think it answers the question 'can the Brownlee's be beaten'. If they're basing their race strategies on other athletes - they can always be beaten. It's just figuring out the right plan to do so.

However - I'm guessing this was the actions of one person who 'thought he was doing them a favor' because he knew he wouldn't figure in the overall scheme of things. Poor decision on the boys part - but not a British strategy I'm guessing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the translation:

Gomez Noya: "The British team has not played fair"
  • "Harry Wiltshire has spent the swim trying to take me to the center of the river"

Triathlete Javier Gomez Noya Galician, double world champion and Europe, criticized the attitude of the British team for the European Championship which was played in Pontevedra, but also said that this is not an excuse for their poor ranking.
"I did not like what has made the British team. Harry Wiltshire has spent the swim trying to take me to the center of the river. That is not fair play, I hope you are sanctioned, because everyone has seen his attitude . It was unfortunate, "said Gomez Noya after the race.
Galician triathlete admitted that during the run was over his head quit because "from the second round was pretty bad, with strong punctures. When Ivan Rana, seized me, encouraged me to continue to the end. Sorry for the fans of Pontevedra. "
"I had a flat run. From the second round I wanted to vomit, but I decided to finish because I was competing at home. I do not know what could have happened, we must study it," concluded Gomez Noya, who congratulated the Alistair Brownlee-brothers and Jonathan was first, second, because of their success.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spanish is my native language so I'll help you guys out:

Gomez understands the GBR team did not play fair/clean during the race
He points out Harry Wiltshire was trying to take him off course (to the middle of the river) the whole time during the swim.
He expects the ITU to sanction Wiltshire because " everyone saw his attitude and intentions"

Gomez was suffering from some side stitching which he could not shake off, the thought about DNF'ing but was told to keep going for the local crowd and fans by his team mate Ivan Raña.

Gomez still doesn't now what may have cause said stitching.

At the end of the article he congratulates both Alistar and Jonathan Brownlee.

http://www.easyendurance.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Real Animal wrote:
If this is true the strongest possible sanctions should apply to not only Wiltshire but the british team.

Sure you can apply team tactics to advantage your own team members, but not to deliberately impede the progress of other athletes.

If it is true, the British have basically said "you sacrifice your race to ensure Javier is impeded".

It's a disgraceful act if true.

Sit all British athletes out of the next round. The strongest possible action must be taken.

Hell yeah, put em up against the wall and shoot the lot of them. Who needs justice when we can prejudge and condemn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be serious. Comments like yours are an utter insult to the Brownlees and their achievements.

I'd be careful with making unfounded accusations about the whole British team.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [cortez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cortez wrote:
Be serious. Comments like yours are an utter insult to the Brownlees and their achievements.

Oh please......
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [cortez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cortez wrote:

are you touched?

Did you not notice the reference to "if it is true" in my post THREE TIMES!!!!!!

Wake up sunshine.

Of course the sanction should be to the whole team. People are kidding themselves if they think an athlete just takes it upon themselves to do this sort of thing. Even if the athlete come out and said I did it all on my own I still wouldn't believe him.

As if it is an insult to Brownlee. That is the stupid thing about the action - it isn't needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like you said, it isn't needed. So why would the BTF risk getting in trouble for doing something like that? You're incredibly naive if you think an athlete WOULDN'T take it upon themselves to do that, particularly one who is aiming to go to London as a domestique. The Brits had two others in the swim pack who did nothing to that effect.

Furthermore, there is nothing illegal about it, it's a sad day in the sport if people start getting disqualified for tactics. He didn't lay a hand on him to push him out there, he just didn't let him back in towards the pack. Big deal. As far as I'm aware he was DQd for taking a wheel off.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [triathlonstu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you raise some good points.

I've no issue with tactics of competitor v's genuine competitor. But when there are athletes in the race who specifically impede the progress of others - for another athletes benefit, I have issues with that.

ITU is becoming a bit too team orientated for my liking. I thin it should be an individual sport. It's bound to happen though, so we better get used to it.

As it develops though, I do hope we see fair contests and no tactics like this one was alleged to have been
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
non-drafting is individual. itu should be team-oriented, it's draft-legal.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [cour10ay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cour10ay wrote:
non-drafting is individual. itu should be team-oriented, it's draft-legal.
Annnnnd we have another idiot.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. I just followed the link to your blog to see what your experience is with draft-legal racing and what your basis might be for calling me an idiot. Takes one to know one, I see.

Courtenay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpPPZ9LUM_M

Spanish federation release a video of the mens swim... Pretty clear whats going on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cour10ay wrote:
Nice. I just followed the link to your blog to see what your experience is with draft-legal racing and what your basis might be for calling me an idiot. Takes one to know one, I see.

Courtenay
You're right, I'm wrong. I apologize.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [raginpotato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raginpotato wrote:

Spanish federation release a video of the mens swim... Pretty clear whats going on.

thanks for finding that. 1:14-1:25 is bullshit. who the hell is harry wiltshire anyway.

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Granpa Chook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is disgraceful very un sportsman like. You just don't want to see that sort of thing in any sport, team racing is ok. but thats not ok if it was all deliberate.

http://stuartwalpole.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: stuartaus: Jun 26, 11 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [stuartaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly. when you're deliberately impeding someone else's progress? bullshit tactics.

what i want to know is, who told him to do that?

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez comments re Harry Wiltshire? [Granpa Chook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granpa Chook wrote:
raginpotato wrote:

thanks for finding that. 1:14-1:25 is bullshit. who the hell is harry wiltshire anyway.

(Disclaimer, I'm a Brit, so no way I could be trusted on this.)

I watched that segment of the video a few times. It's no big deal - seems that both Gomez and Wiltshire came in at the tail end of a pile o' folks who were all trying to exit in exactly the same spot. Wiltshire stumbled a bit after extricating himself, and Gomez thought he might squeeze through on the inside. Didn't work out for him. Gomez was right behind Wiltshire at the bottom of the steps, and the same at the top.

It's not like there's a lot of motive for Wiltshire to do anything malicious. First, he likely know that it was Javier Gomez who was right behind him. Second, he has no reason of his own to compete with Gomez -- presumably his main concern these days is all of the other non-Brownlee Brits who are fighting for the 3rd Olympic spot. And it's not like the British team has any reason to do this either, since the Brownlees don't need that kind of help right now. Much ado about nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I did notice you mention "if it's true" THREE TIMES!!!

I therefore wondered WTF is the point posting bullshit when you have no idea "if it's true".

Never mind mate. School in the morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But thinking about it maybe harrys coached told him to stick to gomez like glue to make sure he made the front bunch/ brake. It gets pretty intense racing and maybe he stumbled coming out of those steep steps?

http://stuartwalpole.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stuartaus wrote:
But thinking about it maybe harrys coached told him to stick to gomez like glue to make sure he made the front bunch/ brake. It gets pretty intense racing and maybe he stumbled coming out of those steep steps?

Do you have eyes? The whole thing just stinks. As a Brit I feel embarrassed about the whole thing. What poor error of judgement.
Quote Reply

Prev Next