Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me decide if I should race
Quote | Reply
I raced Honu a few weeks ago and had a good time and felt pretty good - good enough to sign up for another 1/2 iron as a last minute thing this coming weekend. Wouldn't you know, the minute I hit "send" I got sick. Nothing too major, a chest cold and cough.
The organizer has a zero refund policy (I tried, trust me) but they'll roll my entry to their next event (for a fee, of course).
Should I suck it up and race? Or roll the entry? What would you do?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me decide if I should race [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you want to have fun, have a good time, enjoy the race? Do it.
Do you want to break your record and crush some dreams? Roll your entry for the next event.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me decide if I should race [Maui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly. Decide why you would do the race then that will give you your answer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, anything from the neck down (you mentioned chest) and I wouldn't risk it. I have read too many stories of athletes who have ended up very, very sick (with serious things like cardiomyopathy) by racing with an already comprimised system. Disclaimer ..... I am not a medical person, this is just the rule of thumb I use.
:)
Quote Reply
Re: Help me decide if I should race [Mr + Mrs C.C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes-neck down not good idea. My bf ran the Boston marathon with a chest cold and wound up with bronchitis. But hope you feel better soon and can race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the neck check. Any symptoms below the neck dictate full rest. I wouldn't race unless it was my last race of the season. My 2 cents.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Help me decide if I should race [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, I've decided to postpone and race in July or August.
Quote Reply