Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Typical training amounts
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone! Been a lurker for a past few weeks or so. I have taken the plunge and entered myself into a sprint and Olympic for next month. I have been using 'Triathlon Geek 2010" for the training but am rather unsure if I am on the right track. I am fine with all the training, not sore, not all that tired to be honest so wondering if I should be jacking it up a bit, doing a bit more, working more on speed than distance... Been reading the weekly round up threads and am wondering if I am doing enough to prepare. The amounts that some people are posting are scaring me to say the least! Not a runner in the least so working more on that than anything but just thought I would post and see if anyone has any advice.

Also, what would most of you suggest for someone who is starting out in terms of food/snacks for an olympic? I am out in Japan so not a lot of options in terms of protein bars (honest to god amazon and ebay won't even send them!), gear and whatnot. Really hot and humid in the summer so am worried about hydration more than anything.

Any newbie advice?
Thanks,
GG1
Quote Reply
Re: Typical training amounts [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I lived in Japan and remember little individual jelly with fruit jello things. I can't remember what they were called, but they'd be a good substitute for a gel. Gummy candies would work too. Anything that's sugar and calories is good for an olympic. Probably take 100-200 calories on the bike and 100 or so on the run. Bananas work too. Or Honey in a little squeeze thing would work as a substitute for a gel. They have a variety of drinks over there that are similar to gatorade. The one I remember is called Pocari Sweat. I remember it being pretty mild tasting compared to sweet gatorade. Similar to anything Japanese compared to the sweetness Americans are used to.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Typical training amounts [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coconut juice is actually an amazing drink during a workout/race. I water it down a tiny bit, but it's packed full of electrolytes and not as sickeningly sweet as Gatorade. I was converted when I begged another racer for water during a road race and she handed me some coconut juice... she won the pro/1 race, and pretty much every other race she enters. Good enough for her, good enough for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you at in Japan?

I usually stick to simple foods for training - fruits like bananas work really well for me, and sports drink. Other than that, I don't really eat anything for an Oly because it's so short and my tummy doesn't like it. Usually breakfast will be enough for me not to bonk at that distance. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also a newbie and have been following a run focused oly plan from beginner athlete.com. It marches out timed training runs, swims, bikes for 16-20 weeks before your event. Check out their recommendatios for training amounts to see if you're on track.
Quote Reply
Re: Typical training amounts [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice. I will use the jelly things! I am in Nagoya but was in Osaka for ages.

I will look up the training amounts and compare. I am frightened of the weather as well. Went out today for a 10k run when it was 29 degrees and while it wasn't bad, I am sure it won't be great after the swim and bike!

Pocari Sweat is good but I am using Aquarius - not as sweet!

Thanks everyone! Three weeks to go!
Quote Reply