Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cut back on training due to injury... I'M GOING INSANE... HELP
Quote | Reply
So here's the story... I was feeling really good with my training and hitting all my workouts (due to my boyfriend breaking up with me... Typically gives me that extra time and no guilt to trip to train as much as I want). I had a half marathon that I did a taper for on Mother's Day. The morning of the race I wasn't feeling really into the race but decided I would just run as part of my training. Well..... I met up with my cousin who is a big time runner. She also said that she wasn't going to run as hard but we being who we are don't know how to really take it easy on a running race so the next thing I know I'm running 8:15 miles without really noticing it. This continues the entire race with my pace dropping around the last 5 miles due to a huge head wind and many women sitting right behind me drafting... ggrr.. Well needless to say when I finished I just about died when I set an all new PR for myself at finishing my half marathon in 1:48:50 (2 minutes faster than last year... YAY!!). However, things went severely down hill after the race. The following week I noticed that my gluteus and hamstrings and calves were hurting really bad so my friend was massaging my calves every night and I was stretching. My exercise schedule went as follows:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - Swim (Calve cramped so bad I almost drowned in the deep end.. funny.. but not kidding.. hahaha)
Wednesday - It was a rather unusual 100 degrees and I had to do a lot of manual labor (I'm a landscape designer and I had to do the manual labor of spreading rock and working manual labor all day because my worker got sick from the heat.. Lovely... So I didn't do any training.. Figured a 10hr labor day was enough
Thursday - Easy Run in the morning for 50 minutes and an easy bike ride for 60 minutes that night. Much less manual labor today. My brother was actually at the job-site to help me out
Friday - I went for an easy swim because my back was really starting to hurt. I figured the less invasive exercise to day was swimming.
By Saturday I was in so much pain I could barely stand up or sit down so I called up a deep tissue massage therapist who also professionally helps you stretch out your muscles and he ended up working on me for 2.5 hours. ( needless to say I was really messed up.) By the time we got done he told me to take the rest of the weekend off because all my muscles were so screwed up that they needed to relax and to stretch, stretch and stretch. So Sunday I didn't do anything. By Monday May 16th I was starting to get antsy to do something. I saw my chiropractor/ART doctor and he said to take it easy and not do anything to invasive. So this week thus far:
Monday - I did a 45 minute easy bike ride,
Tuesday - I had to unload 50 plants from a semi so I didn't do anything
Wednesday - I went for an hour swim but I also had to unload 500 plants from a semi and put them away (They aren't little plants they weigh anywhere from 10 to 25lbs per plant).
Thursday I went back to my chiropractor/ART and he said that my back was starting to sheer... LOVELY.. ( My mom was permenantely stopped from all exercise after she sheered her back after not stopping working out once her back started to hurt.) I asked if I could go for a 30 min run and he said yes but I had to walk before and after. So I went for a 30 minute run (VERY EASY) and today I'm hurting again.... I'm sooooo frustrated.... Will it ever get better?!? Does anyone have any ideas as to alternate exercise that I could try that won't cause pain because I'M SO TIRED OF BEING IN PAIN.... Has anyone every been through this before... The sheering of the discs in my back is genetic and it has happened to my mom and my uncle who does triathlons and he quit doing them because of the pain... So Any HELP ... PLEASE!?!

Sorry for the long post..
Quote Reply
Re: Cut back on training due to injury... I'M GOING INSANE... HELP [tayjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is your job but: "I also had to unload 500 plants from a semi and put them away" is NOT taking it easy. Not training or cutting back is the least of your worries. Take another week off and rest - completely - or you may well end up like your family members.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Cut back on training due to injury... I'M GOING INSANE... HELP [tayjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest is rest, not training for almost an hour each day even if it is easy. Those labor days are killer and like a long workout.

Stop all training for a week. Better to be antsy then injured.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what "sheering of one's back" is.
Can you get someone else to do the manual labor at work? Sounds like that is contributing to it mostly.

Hang in there. When you say "going insane" what FEELINGS are coming up? If a physical outlet isn't an option, what else can you do to relieve stress/anxiety/feeling upset/________ < - insert emotion there?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you wear a back brace while you're doing heavy lifting? might help ease the stress on your back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you doing?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Cut back on training due to injury... I'M GOING INSANE... HELP [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an update..... I've been to the ART Chiropractor again this week. I believe we finally figured out what happened.. Where my lat attaches into my lower back (my sacchrum?) was pinched. He released that and said I might have some ligament damage due to getting a regular adjustment when my hip capsules and adductors were really tight and when the chiropractor adjusted my hips he rotated me to far which caused ALL my problems. So for know I'm building back up to what I was running since I've only been swimming.
Monday - 1 hour swim
Tuesday - 35 minute run... I was going to go for a short bike ride which I haven't done in a week and a half but it was pouring when I got off work.
Wednesday - 1 hour swim with a lift after work
Thursday - 40 min run followed by an ez 45 min bike
Friday - Off
Saturday - 1 hour Run
Sunday - 2 hour Bike (Maybe more like 1.5 hour)

I'm trying to ease back into training but its soooo hard... I haven't done anything on the weekends for two weeks.. So this will be the first time in two weeks I will do a longer distance. I'm also having to stretch a lot.... This made me realize that instead of putting my whole racing season in jeopardy I might as well take it easy for a two weeks so I could race this season.. As for work... well I try and realize thats a workout in itself but thats really hard so the days that I do unload a shipment of plants or do manual labor I count it as strength training and do some real light cardio when I get off... All in all things are getting better... but its definently moving at a slow poke rate...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good that you figured out what caused it. I hope that you continue to heal and at a fast pace :-)

Quote Reply