Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hoka Bondi B - quick review
Quote | Reply
Hoka Bondi B - quick review

In short, awesome shoe ;

Never have felt anything like it; incredibly light for it's size;This is definitely going to be my long distance shoe;
I've done some tempo runs (6minute miles for me), and some hill work so far on this shoe, and my leg recovery has been awesome.

A quick overview of me

I am 46, just under 6' / 180 pounds / high arches -- with damaged tendons in right foot and a fused tibia/fibia on the same leg.

Because of high arches -- I like to run in a neutral shoe --something that lets my foot pronate a little and allow the arch to move.

I have a good mid foot to forefoot stride;

I am an okay runner I think; my IM runs are usually between between 3:15 and 3:45 / 1/2iron runs between 1:20 and 1:40 - I run around a 17 to 18 5K -- so nothing extraordinary but okay I think;

I do well with the Asic Keyanus (sorry about the spelling), and Zoots TT3.0 and 4.0 -- Newtons are a bad choice for me because the cantilever effect of those shoes puts a lot of stress on my arches and my damaged tendons.

I weighted all these shoes; I can't find my notes, but the Hokas are almost as light as the Zoots, a lot lighter than the ASICs, and about the same as the Newtons (I think).

The biggest difference for me with the Hokas, is that it slightly changed where/how my foot lands so I've adjusted my stride a little.

For a big shoe, they are of course "cushioney" but somehow incredibly light and responsive; "road feedback" is acceptable to me. I am sure I am losing some speed because of their shock-absorption features but for an HIM or IM run I don't think this would matter at all.

I live in the NorthEast but ordered mine from the Boulder Running Company out in Colorado -- not a lot of U.S. retailers stock this shoe.

Only downside is that I have to sneak them out of the house so my wife doesn't realize how much money I've spent.

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [jkahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Photo?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of me or the shoe ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkahan wrote:
of me or the shoe ?

you and the shoe.... together, maybe on the couch with only a blue fleece blanket and a bottle of wine.

Quote:
I am an okay runner I think; my IM runs are usually between between 3:15 and 3:45 / 1/2iron runs between 1:20 and 1:40 - I run around a 17 to 18 5K -- so nothing extraordinary but okay I think;
of the house so my wife doesn't realize how much money I've spent.

Don't fall prey to ST group think. For most folks out there, 17-18 on a 5k is awesome, especially at 46. Same with the other times. You are a good runner.

Maybe one day I'll be that fast too...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Quote:

of the house so my wife doesn't realize how much money I've spent.

Don't fall prey to ST group think. For most folks out there, 17-18 on a 5k is awesome, especially at 46. Same with the other times. You are a good runner.

Maybe one day I'll be that fast too...

except there are huge swings between all his times indicating hes lying about them.

a 1:20 HIM, thats <1:15 open half give me a break
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
classic -

"there are swings in his times, which means he must be lying about them."

honestly, crap like this is why i'm considering walking away from slowtwitch.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What I thought:
Pros-
Cushion
light
comfortable

cons
To much cushion for me
stiff upper
warm shoe

Shoe was alright. Not sure I would wear it in an IM. It is a very warm shoe and I would have to see how it did when wet. Looks like it could absorb a lot of water.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [Fork-Um] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"To much cushion for me stiff upper warm shoe"

are you sure you're talking about the bondi b? and not the mafate? i have both, and the mafate is definitely a stiff upper compared to your typical road shoe, because it's not a road shoe. it's designed for trail ultra runs.

but the bondi b has a very soft upper. softer than my adrenalines, and my asics lightweight trainers.

but they're cushy, no doubt about that. i don't find that they're slower than a typical lightweight trainer, i find it quite a fast shoe, even in a 5k. however, it's not a racing flat, no confusing this shoe with a green silence.

i think the benefit of this shoe for a triathlete is in half-mary and up in a triathlon. leg soreness will really slow you down, hence the value of a cushy shoe like this. it might be slower than a racing flat for a lighter weight triathlete in an oly or shorter, but, for guys like me - 165lb - or heavier, even an oly run wears on your legs.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Preferably you in the shoes, but I'll settle for the shoes.... ;)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't be the only one who involuntarily burst out an expletive when they saw the price of these things?

Honestly, where will it stop?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bottom line--they work! I'm rocking them at my LC races. I'm old and heavy (54/165) but they are a godsend

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not ending yet- check out the Mizuno Wave Prophecy, and make sure you're not drinking anything at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the review. I ordered a pair of One One's and can't wait to get them. Something in Dan's review made me worried about how the Bondi B would hold up. I think Dan said he would be using it as a racing flat. Could you let us know how it stands up to daily training. I think I'd prefer it (rather than the One One) as a daily training shoe (I train mainly on roads, only some on trails), but I don't want to be replacing a $180 shoe every 300 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [winsomeeu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winsomeeu wrote:
Not ending yet- check out the Mizuno Wave Prophecy, and make sure you're not drinking anything at the time.

Ef me... $200?!?

There better be some gold somewhere in those things...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [JackM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be happy to follow up with how the shoes work out -- unfortunately, I had a bad bike crash in mid April and will be inactive for months. I've just returned home from hospital hence my late reply:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal up soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack

I've had my Bondi B's for a week- I'm not a strong runner - actually far from it - and my biggest issue has always been my knees - rugby for 17 years did it's fair share of damage. Anyhow - I have medial meniscus tears and have actually put off the surgery.

Fast forward to two weeks ago - I had not been able to run any decent distances (3+ miles were agonizing) but since running in the Bondi B's - I have very little to no knee pain.
I find them supportive - "soft (but a good soft) in the heel area - plush might be a good description, without giving up road feel.

All in all - cushioning is making it possible for me to start ramping up the miles again and pain free so far.

I love these things - and yes - they were a little on the high side price wise - but tell me what isn't expensive these days (particularly in this community)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would you describe the fit?

I have a low-volume foot with a narrow heel. But, I have a wide forefoot with splayed toes. Finding a shoe with a wide toe box and narrow heel pocket is a big problem for me. :(

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure how to answer your question about "fit." -- sorry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the bondi b would be fine as a daily training shoe. while it's my racing flat, it's also my training shoe for all but the longer or more technical trail runs - i use the mafate for those. i've got quite somwhere around 200 miles in a set of bondi b and they're still going very strong. i'll get more life out of these than i do out of my brooks adrenalines.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
How would you describe the fit?

I have a low-volume foot with a narrow heel. But, I have a wide forefoot with splayed toes. Finding a shoe with a wide toe box and narrow heel pocket is a big problem for me. :(

I have a very neutral, easy to fit, foot and wear either an 8.5 or a 9 in most shoes. I ordered the Bondi B in 8.5 and it was way small, especially in the forefoot. I got the 9s and they were pretty snug in the forefoot as well. I was worried that they would not work because of this but they really loosened up and feel great now. I don't know how good they would be for someone with a wide forefoot.

I do love the shoes. I have several 20 mile training runs in them and they leave my legs feeling better after a long run. I am trying to decide whether or not to wear them for my upcoming marathon.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the bondi b would be fine as a daily training shoe. while it's my racing flat, it's also my training shoe for all but the longer or more technical trail runs - i use the mafate for those. i've got quite somwhere around 200 miles in a set of bondi b and they're still going very strong. i'll get more life out of these than i do out of my brooks adrenalines.

At double the price, I reckon you should get at least double the miles :)

When you call this your "racing flat", what kind of racing are you referring to. These shoes look quite massive to me .... like something I'd change into at the 18 hour mark of a 24 hour run to spare my feet/legs any further agony.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they're no doubt expensive. however, this is a start up shoe company. they're going to be pricey until they have some economies of scale.

after i did the AToC TT on friday, i stayed in santa barbara overnight, raced a 5k in ventura next morning, then drove to my swim workout. on sunday, i felt no ill after effects, which is one of the points of this shoe: legs don't take a beating. i ran 18:25, not life-altering, but, not too bad. the shoes are reasonably quick. so, really, 5k on up, this is my race shoe.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply

Prev Next